Options

Middle to Late Zeppelin

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited April 2006 in Other Music
I have all their albums up to Physical Graffitti, but what is the rest of their later back catolgue like?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Presence gets slammed a lot, but I rate it above Houses of the Holy. Achilles' Last Stand is an awesome track. And the last two albums are a bit patchy but worth getting too. I don't think Zep ever released a real duffer.
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,255
    I'd recommend both Presence and In Through The Out Door, but Coda isnt a real album - just a few leftovers really. Presence is in my top 3 Zeppelin albums - For Your Life is one of Zep's best tracks, not to mention Achilles Last Stand
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    edved82 wrote:
    I'd recommend both Presence and In Through The Out Door, but Coda isnt a real album - just a few leftovers really. Presence is in my top 3 Zeppelin albums - For Your Life is one of Zep's best tracks, not to mention Achilles Last Stand
    Presence is in my top 3 Zeppelin albums as well. It amazes me that the album was recorded entirely in 17 days. How For You Life is not better known is beyond me.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Achilles Last Stand
    Nobody's Fault But Mine
    In The Evening
    South Bound Saurez
    Fool In The Rain
    All Of My Love
    For Your Life
    Carouselambra

Yeah, Presence and In Through The Out Door are worth getting. They desperately need to remaster ITTOD.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,504
    Go ahead and get the rest of the albums. You won't be disappointed. The feel is a bit different. In Through the Out Door has a bit of a dance groove feel to it. Good album overall. Grab em all. Coda, while a batch of leftovers, is still full of good songs. Hey Hey What Can I Do is one of my favorite Zeppelin songs.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,255
    adam42381 wrote:
    Go ahead and get the rest of the albums. You won't be disappointed. The feel is a bit different. In Through the Out Door has a bit of a dance groove feel to it. Good album overall. Grab em all. Coda, while a batch of leftovers, is still full of good songs. Hey Hey What Can I Do is one of my favorite Zeppelin songs.

Hey Hey What Can I Do is only on the Remasters box set i think - along with Baby Come On Home, which is another nice rare Zeppelin song. Wearing and Tearing on Coda is also great, shows the direction Zeppelin would've gone in the future if Bonzo hadnt passed away :(
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    Presence is also in my top 2 or 3 Zep albums. Achille's is just a masterpiece. I don't love ITTOD but don't hate it either. Miss the Page guitar work that all the previous albums had as he was too f'd up to contribute much.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    edved82 wrote:
    I was actually listening to the last songs you mentioned on Remasters collection, I won't be made about the sound of the keyboards on in your life.
  • Options
    'Presence' has a few epic songs that are forgotten, but the album as a whole does not flow at all (like any of their others). Archillies Last Stand is probably one of their best (IMO), and Candy Store Rock is a cool little ditty...

'In Through the Out Door' is a great album, but the farthest from the roots Zeppelin style. John Paul Jones play keyboard on pretty much every song, partially because he was the major writer on the album. This is also the album where you can really hear Plant's voice start to deteriorate. In the Evening is probably one of my favorite songs of all time (the opening track).

'Coda' is the band's b-sides album. Hey Hey What Can I Do is the stand out track, but this album is only worth it if you are a fanatic...like me.

'BBC Sessions' has amazing versions of some of their earlier songs...Communication Breakdown and, You Shook Me, and Whole Lotta Love appear multiple times, which is a little odd. An amazing sequence of the Immigrant Song going into Heartbraker (you can really hear how hard it is to sing Immigrant Song too).

hope this helps
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Presense, CODA and ITTOD are patchy I will admit and I'm a big Zeppelin fan.. best tracks from these albums include..

Fool in the rain
    Achillies last stand
    nobodys fault but mine
    I'm gonna crawl

They are my favs anyway and yes the BBC sessions is well worth your money with a great version of Thankyou and the first live versions of black dog, STH and going to cali....
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,764
    tea for one is one of my favorite songs...and i'm not just talking zeppelin
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    TowsertunesTowsertunes Posts: 187
    Check out the drums on Fool In The Rain.
    Brilliant.
    Bonham was right on.
    Very creative.
    Not as good as Moon though.
    "they don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read?"

How I choose to feel,...Is how I am.
  • Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Brilliant.
    Bonham was right on.
    Very creative.

Agreed! Fool in the Rain is one of my all time favorite Led Zeppelin songs. Presence was a pretty good album, but In Through the Out Door was awesome!!! I think Physical Graffiti was their best, but definately get In Through the Outdoor if you haven't already!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Brilliant.
    Bonham was right on.
    Very creative.

Bonham was 3x the drummer Moon was. Moon was good but was alot more hit or miss than Bonham

Hey Hey What Can I Do isnt on Coda unless you get the the complete Led Zeppelin boxed set with all the albums. They also slapped Travellin Riverside Blues and Baby, Come On Home on that disc

HHWCID is on the 4 disc box set

Travelling Riverside Blues is also on the 4 disc set, Whole Lotta Love single and BBC Sessions

Baby, Come On Home is also on the 2 disc boxed set and the Whole Lotta Love single.

Hope that clears everything up.