Options

Foo Fighters

RatRat Posts: 38
edited April 2006 in Other Music
is it just me our foo fighters is a "little" bit overrrated????

just thinking....lol
"Every time I see the Spice Girls, it makes me want to try to fly by climbing my roof and strapping bricks to my shoes."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I hate the terms "overrated, underated". That's just me, though. Me... not a big fan of the FF. But I have friends who LOVE them. So, I agree with you... but not everyone will.
  • Options
    RatRat Posts: 38
    i dont know i think they have lived a little bit by nirvanas past and shadow!!!

if foo fighters had appeard with no type of connection to nirvana do you think they would have come this far???
    "Every time I see the Spice Girls, it makes me want to try to fly by climbing my roof and strapping bricks to my shoes."
  • Options
    Personally, I cannot stand Nirvana anyomre... and I haven't for years. I think the FF are better. I really don't think of Dave as a Nirvana guy. Not a huge fan of either... but I respect FF more. Call me crazy.....
  • Options
    dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    Rat wrote:

if foo fighters had appeard with no type of connection to nirvana do you think they would have come this far???

You'd be suprised how many casual rock fans I run into that have no idea about Grolh being in Nirvana.

I also agree Poyndexter. I think the Foo Fighters are way better then Nirvana....
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    First two albums are in amoungst my favourite albums of all time. Nothing Left to Lose was ok but i havent really liked their last two. They've gone a bit poppy IMO anyway.
  • Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    I honestly think that Dave Grohl is a great talent and the first two albums are among my favorites. The last one, although ambitious, isn't one that I play a whole lot. It almost tries too hard. They're an amazing live band and very tight. However, the last time I saw them, I got the impression that the crowd really didn't get them ... they were unresponsive to an extended jam which showed what the band is capable of, and I thought was really good.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    over/underrated or not, i like them.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    dan_vedderdan_vedder Posts: 213
    yea there music is pretty average, seen them live afew times tho and they put on a good show. taylor hawkins is amazing, hes definately not overrated
    Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
  • Options
    Foo Fighters are great live. I've seen them three times now and here in Australia the crowd went off at each show.

I don't think Dave has ever really mentioned much about Nirvana in interviews I've heard, in fact, he usually just brushes it off when it comes up.

There Is Nothing Left to Lose and The Colour and the Shape are fantastic albums.
  • Options
    Poyndexter wrote:
    Personally, I cannot stand Nirvana anyomre... and I haven't for years. I think the FF are better. I really don't think of Dave as a Nirvana guy. Not a huge fan of either... but I respect FF more. Call me crazy.....
    i've been saying it for years..

dave grohl is WAY more talented than kurt..

and he's a nicer guy too.

i love the Foo but i can see how one might think they're overrated.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    GBoulderGBoulder Posts: 6
    Hey anyone remember?
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Rat wrote:
    is it just me our foo fighters is a "little" bit overrrated????

just thinking....lol

yup they are
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    I like them, they aren't anywhere near Nirvana in my opinion, Kurt rocks Dave Grohls socks in music writing... But Dave plays like 20 instruments so I have to give him that... Theyre not overrated or underrated, theyre just kinda there.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Dave shook off that 'drummer from Nirvana' image long ago. 'Color and the Shape' is one of my favorite all time records.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    i wouldn't call them overrated....because Everlong is an amazing song, and one of my all time faves. They are talented guys. The "In Your Honor" was pretty overhyped however....they talked this album up hugh for months before it came out....like it was going to be this masterpeice or something, and it was actually IMO one of their worsts efforts, very mediocre and blah. But I still like em.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Their albums are good, there are some I like more than others, but the foo fighters live shows are phenominal. Probably my 2nd favorite live band to go see behind Pearl jam. The only thing I wish the Foos would do is change up their setlists more, and put out a live album.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    VONVON Posts: 259
    Foo Fighters are great live. I've seen them three times now and here in Australia the crowd went off at each show.

I don't think Dave has ever really mentioned much about Nirvana in interviews I've heard, in fact, he usually just brushes it off when it comes up.

There Is Nothing Left to Lose and The Colour and the Shape are fantastic albums.

You didnt happen to be at the first melbourne show back in december did you? It was amazing!!! :D

The foos arent underated. Maybe IYH was a bit over hyped, personally I like one by one better. The color and the shape is great! Everlong is one of my favorite songs.
    They write really good songs and some of their videos are hilarious!! The foo fighters have got a unique sound and they're one of the best bands around. Dare I say better than nirvana ...
  • Options
    if dave grohl hadn't relied on protools, they'd still be good...i think they progressively got shittier. the 1st album was so raw and intense which is the complete opposite of their latest effort. dave's a great song writer but they are fairly overated.
  • Options
    You'd be suprised how many casual rock fans I run into that have no idea about Grolh being in Nirvana.

I also agree Poyndexter. I think the Foo Fighters are way better then Nirvana....

i think dave is a far better musician and composer than kurt, but if i were to make a list of the 500 most significant rock bands of all time, nirvana would be in the top 20 and foo fighters would not make the list...
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    the foo's rock.

peace.
  • Options
    jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    Kraven wrote:
    I like them, they aren't anywhere near Nirvana in my opinion, Kurt rocks Dave Grohls socks in music writing... But Dave plays like 20 instruments so I have to give him that... Theyre not overrated or underrated, theyre just kinda there.

Bingo. Cobain wrote some incredibly good songs, but in terms of actual playing of instruments you have to recognize Groh's talents. That's why the two of them together made something so special.
    rock chalk
  • Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    I like them so I don't find them overrated. I also think I'm one of the few people that enjoyed In Your Honor and find it their best work. Granted it's not all perfect as I find some of the acoustic songs boring but they still have 15 good songs or so. I didn't like their first album much and though TCATS is a good album it also has weak points.

We had a Foo topic a few months ago and it seemed the general consensus among Foo fans was they don't break any new ground or do anything amazing. However, they sure know how to make some sweet rock songs and they do it very well consistently.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    Whitey_22Whitey_22 Posts: 44
    As said earlier, they blow you away live. Seen them in December and they were awesome! Dave got behind the drums for Cold Day In The Sun, which was great to see.
  • Options
    i love the new foo fighters song... no way back i think its called. sounds more like the color and the shape which was a brilliant album. i really liked the early foo fighters but i havent yet got into in your honour.
  • Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    listening to d.o.a. right now. good tune.

'It's a shame we have to die my dear
    No one's getting out of here alive
    This time
    What a way to go, but have no fear
    No one's getting out of here alive
    This time'
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Comparing the Foos to Nirvana is a no contest in my opinion, Nirvana made 3 albums each with a very different sound, they evolved with every album, the Foos and i love them an all sound pretty much the same on every album apart from the debut and disc 2 of IYH, from The Colour And The Shape on it just sounds like the musics being revamped, rearanged chords and different lyrics.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.