Options

Zappa Plays Zappa

blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
edited April 2006 in Other Music
This tour is a way for young people who didn't get to experience the music to hear it performed live. Read more here:

http://www.zappa.com/cheezoid/whatsnew/zpz/
"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best."
~ FZ ~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Thanks for posting. I haven't got the time now, but later I'll go check it out. I'm sure I'll like it. It's his son's right?
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    Thanks for posting. I haven't got the time now, but later I'll go check it out. I'm sure I'll like it. It's his son's right?

Yup ... Dweezil's his son. They have extremely different musical styles, but I'll be interested to see what comes out of this. I'm kind of excited that some of the musicians who I saw playing with Frank are involved. It's cool to see some of their names mentioned again. I feel really lucky to have seen Zappa so many times and I'm happy I appreciated what it was we were a part of.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Yup ... Dweezil's his son. They have extremely different musical styles, but I'll be interested to see what comes out of this. I'm kind of excited that some of the musicians who I saw playing with Frank are involved. It's cool to see some of their names mentioned again. I feel really lucky to have seen Zappa so many times and I'm happy I appreciated what it was we were a part of.

I am not that lucky I'm afraid. I was to young to like him when he was alive. Not really teenage material.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,089
    Vai and Bozzio? Shit...I may need to see this.
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    I'm interested in checking out Frank Zappa but don't know where to start. Give me a point in the right direction. Maybe I'll like it, maybe not, I just want to give it a listen.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Check out Hot Rats. It is some awesome stuff
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 773
    Just got my tickets to the June 16th show here in Toronto. I was never a big fan of Zappa's but always enjoyed reading interviews with Frank. So thanks to the original poster of this thread, because the attached interview peaked my interest enough to score tickets. Now I'm just waiting for Murphy's Law to drop a PJ show on the same date. When you're Irish Murphy's Law tends to follow you around.

Can anyone suggest a live Zappa cd that showcases his playing rather than his bizzarre humour.

q
  • Options
    Can anyone suggest a live Zappa cd that showcases his playing rather than his bizzarre humour.

q

Definitely. (But you do know that some of the best instrumentals he did are tucked among the songs displaying bizarre humour.) These are my personal favorites:

Shut Up & Play Your Guitar

One Size Fits All

Zoot Allures

Frank Zappa Plays The Music Of Frank Zappa (which I think you can only get at Barfko-Swill, but I might be wrong)
    http://stores.musictoday.com/store/dept.asp?band_id=1039&sfid=2&dept_id=8494&page=1
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Alternately - Guitar and Hot Rats
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    Alternately - Guitar and Hot Rats

I didn't include Hot Rats because it was already mentioned. It's not because I don't love that album. I'm leaving a last wish that the attendees at my funeral be forced to listen to the entire friggin' thing. ;)
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    SandruwaSandruwa Posts: 239
    I'm pretty exited ... going to the show in Brussels! Zappa ... some crazy, cool art-teacher dropped FZ's music on our innocent souls, what a revelation that was ... I love the man and his music!
    RIP Syd ... Shine on you crazy diamond ...