Options

Sparta.....(In response to the I hate opening acts thread)

bthornybthorny Posts: 15
edited April 2006 in Other Music
Sparta is awesome and I would have probably never heard them or at least taken interest in them had I not saw them opening for pearl jam....and wow...I was blown away....the crowd sucked for them.....I actually kinda felt bad at how bad the crowd sucked....but I rocked out in the fifth row at a pearl jam concert to sparta.....and it was great......They were seriously rocking and given no props at all by the audience....how shamefull

sometimes an opening act can rock hard...but.....get no appreciation....and that pisses me off.
"The future is an infinite succession of presents, and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvelous victory."
Howard Zinn
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Pearl Jam fans are awful for opening bands. They booed Sonic Youth for heaven's sake
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    I usually hate the opening bands PJ picks, & expected Sparta to suck, but as soon as I heard them I really liked their sound. I was actually looking forward to hearing them open the next nite. After the shows I got 'Wiretap Scars' & have loved them ever since...best new band to come out in many years. Can't wait for the new album & for them to get back on the road. :) Because without PJ I probably never would have discovered them, I'm almost willing to let the whole Sleater-Kinney thing slide. lol.
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Sleater-Kinney is like, 6 times the band Sparta was.

And At The Drive In about twice that
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Echoes wrote:
    Pearl Jam fans are awful for opening bands. They booed Sonic Youth for heaven's sake
    Hell, they booed Otis Rush and Bad Religion. The majority have no clue how much they are getting treated with these opening acts.
  • Options
    moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    Echoes wrote:
    Sleater-Kinney is like, 6 times the band Sparta was.

And At The Drive In about twice that

While i agree with the latter statement.... the former is utter crap. SK is terrible. Sparta was ok
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    pearl jam's had some great and some awful openers. i got turned onto death cab via pearl jam, and im also getting into mmj. sonic youth was ok, just not my forte. i hated sparta though. just 45 minutes of noise and screaming. i couldnt tell any of the songs apart. they all sounded exactly the same.
  • Options
    Bands I've been turned on to seeing them as openers:

Idlewild
    Sparta
    Death Cab
    Rilo Kiley (opened for Coldplay)
    Stephen Malkmus (opened for Radiohead)
    Q and Not U (opened for Interpol)

Also, am already huge fan of both MMJ and Sleater-Kinney. I wish I could have seen Sleater-Kinney, who are a GREAT FUCKING BAND.
    Please don't smoke in smoke free buildings. You aren't cool, you're just an asshole
  • Options
    Sonic19Sonic19 Posts: 159
    I love Sparta...hope they announce some more tour dates (aside from just lollapalooza).
    Stay positive and love your life
    Hooray Florida shows
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Zul, len, wij laten ho, ho, ren;
    S.P.-
    A.R.-
    T.A.

Sparta is a Dutch football club. It is really cool the have their own thread here.

In case you're wondering, it means
    Zullen wij laten horen
    We shall let you hear; SPARTA
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    Jim Ward
    Keeley Davis
    Matt Miller
    Tony Hajjar

Favorite newer band going.
  • Options
    bthorny wrote:
    Sparta is awesome and I would have probably never heard them or at least taken interest in them had I not saw them opening for pearl jam....and wow...I was blown away....the crowd sucked for them.....I actually kinda felt bad at how bad the crowd sucked....but I rocked out in the fifth row at a pearl jam concert to sparta.....and it was great......They were seriously rocking and given no props at all by the audience....how shamefull

sometimes an opening act can rock hard...but.....get no appreciation....and that pisses me off.

you have just said everything i wanted to say !

I thank god that PJ brought SParta in my life!!
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    I miss At The Drive-In, but damn, those boys from Sparta know how to really rock!!! I am glad that Jim emerged as the front man in that band and found his voice :D:D

I saw Sparta opening up for Weezer back in 8/2002 and they totally won me over as a fan!!! I mean, I didn't doubt them for a second since I knew they came from a great band like ATDI. :) Their EP, Austere kicks major ASS and was SO proud of my Texas boys opening up for PJ back in 2003. Of course, they did not open up for them at any of the shows I went to. They are a great band to see live!!

and I have gotten into every single band that opened up for PJ:
    Sleater-Kinney, Idlewild, Buzzcocks
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    We've seen Sparta as an opener twice ... once for PJ and once for Incubus (when The Vines suddenly cancelled their tour.) All I can say is that we really weren't compelled to run out and buy their record (as we were with Death From Above 1979 opening for QOTSA and NIN, who, by the way, kicks ass.) Sparta were okay, but ... I don't know. We felt really bad about not being crazy about them, if that counts for anything.

Sleater-Kinney and the Buzzcocks were a different story. Maybe it's because we were already really familiar with them and were excited about seeing them.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    We've seen Sparta as an opener twice ... once for PJ and once for Incubus (when The Vines suddenly cancelled their tour.) All I can say is that we really weren't compelled to run out and buy their record (as we were with Death From Above 1979 opening for QOTSA and NIN, who, by the way, kicks ass.) Sparta were okay, but ... I don't know. We felt really bad about not being crazy about them, if that counts for anything.

Sleater-Kinney and the Buzzcocks were a different story. Maybe it's because we were already really familiar with them and were excited about seeing them.

That usually makes a difference. Hahahaha.
    It is really sad for Sparta that they are out classed by Mars volta. Not what you want considering the reason for their break up.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    I love that Keeley Davis from Engine Down is now with Sparta. Their new material should be amazing with both Jim and Keeley doing vocals.
  • Options

oh yeah, I TOTALLY forgot they opened up for Incubus. :eek: damn me! i remember that their drummer had a foot injury and Jose from Incubus played drums for them...I thought that was cool :D

I actually prefer Sparta over Mars Volta...Cedric screams so much! :p But regardless, I LOVE At the Drive-In. I think the reason why they broke up was b/c they were becoming HUGE. EVERYONE wanted them. I remember they were going to do Lollapolooza I think, and they cancelled that and said they were going to take a 'hiatus' but that turned into a break up later on.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Options
    di_jammerdi_jammer Posts: 12
    At the drive in was amazing, the only good thing that came of the demise was Sparta who are good, and the Mars Volta who i think are absolutely amazing. and holy shit can the put on a show! it's too bad ive only ever seen them as opening acts. def got annoyed by the fans of the headlining band booing, or just being totally annoying and uninterested.

I understand being super excited to see the headliner, but even if u hate the opening band, is it too much to ask that u not boo, and be annoying while other people are trying to enjoy the band?? total pet peeve of mine
    saw things so much clearer, once you were in my rearviewmirror
  • Options
    di_jammer wrote:
    I understand being super excited to see the headliner, but even if u hate the opening band, is it too much to ask that u not boo, and be annoying while other people are trying to enjoy the band?? total pet peeve of mine

yeah I hear you di_jammer. it is about respect. Respect those bands that open up for the main band. I really don't like that either when people boo or give the finger to those opening bands. I always think to myself, 'what if you were on stage & you were the opening band. How would you feel?' it really irriates me. even if i don't like the band, I WILL hear them out though:)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~