Options

Is it legal for 2 bands to have the same name?

JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
edited March 2006 in Other Music
The reason I ask - for this aerobic program I teach, one of the tracks we got recently was called 'Just a bit of House' by 'FUGAZI', and I'm like hmm that sure doesn't sound anything like McKaye. Its off Music Plant records and it is what it sounds like - house/techno sort of stuff. If its legal I guess, but it was just surprising - it is clearly not the same group.
R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I dont think so, I remember hearing that Stone's Brad is called Brad because he wanted to name it Shame and the name was already taken and the band refused to give it up. So he named it Brad because that was the name of the guy in charge of Shame (pretty funny story actually). I'll go looking for link.
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    I dont think so, I remembered hearing that Ston'e Brad is called Brad because he wanted to name it Shame and the name was already taken and the band refused to give up the name. So he named it Brad because that was the name of the guy in charge of Shame (pretty funny story actually). I'll go looking for link.

Yeah it's true, I think.
    It depands I know that there are two Nirvana's. One from the '60 and , well..........
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    I dont think so, I remember hearing that Stone's Brad is called Brad because he wanted to name it Shame and the name was already taken and the band refused to give it up. So he named it Brad because that was the name of the guy in charge of Shame (pretty funny story actually). I'll go looking for link.

Got the link

http://www.myspace.com/bradcorporation
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Thanks for that link - I think I remember hearing that story somewhere but didn't know the legalities of it. I wonder what Fugazi would do?
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    I remember that the band Bush were name Bush X in Canada when they came out, because there was another Bush band, i think they later bought the right of the name.
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I don't even think it is legal to have the same pronunciation even if they aren't spelled the same.

I remember that Uncle Kracker fella wanted to go by straight Kracker. He asked David Lowry of Cracker for permission to use it.

Lowry said something to the effect that he really wanted to name his band the Rolling Stones but the Rolling Stones wouldn't let them.
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    Thanks for that link - I think I remember hearing that story somewhere but didn't know the legalities of it. I wonder what Fugazi would do?

Maybe they dont care and have given them permission. Or they have yet to find out and sue.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,757
    i think it might be okay if they're from different countries.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg