Options

Sliverchair

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited March 2006 in Other Music
Just wanted to know what album of theirs I should invest in first. I hear that the one they released in 2000 is their best.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I would say get Neon Ballroom first.
  • Options
    When was it released ? The only song of theirs I know is tomorrow and its amazing.
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    I really like " Freakshow " , but "Neon Ballroom" is a really good album also. Paint Pastel Princess is one of my all time favorite Silverchair songs.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    I like the raw sound of Frogstomp...I know that's the obvious one to say, but I really like all of the songs on that one.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    pure massacre is pure genious
    "It was a kind of a sick, disturbed rock opera - if Nietzsche were to write a rock opera,"-Jeff Ament about Eddie's first three songs

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough, I'm fine now.
    Push me pull me. See ya later

<present tense inhabiter #0003 & Even Flow psycho #0036>
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Frogstomp... and turn it up loud. That album rocks
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    corycory Posts: 736
    Go to http://www.allofmp3.com and sample all of their stuff. Frogstomp is pretty good though. I never get tired of Tomorrow.
    Revive the heart of the heartless...

Why would you start was has no end?
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    it depends on your tastes. you can probly find frogstomp for $5 at your used cd shop, so you might wanna go for that. it's a solid album. but they changed so mcuh their first and alst album almost sound like different bands. the first record is very much hard rock/grunge. by the last, they've got a very sweeping, epic sound, almost psychedelic at times. i think diorama is their best without a doubt. but if you're not ready for some guns'n'roses style melodramatic epics, you might wanna start with frogstomp and go in oder. their evolution is impressive.
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    it depends on your tastes. you can probly find frogstomp for $5 at your used cd shop, so you might wanna go for that. it's a solid album. but they changed so mcuh their first and alst album almost sound like different bands. the first record is very much hard rock/grunge. by the last, they've got a very sweeping, epic sound, almost psychedelic at times. i think diorama is their best without a doubt. but if you're not ready for some guns'n'roses style melodramatic epics, you might wanna start with frogstomp and go in oder. their evolution is impressive.

i agree, i think the lst two efforts have been their best. Neon Ballroom is a pretty impressive leap from anything they had done before, but Diorama is just unreal. Greatest View, Without You, Tuna in the Brine, Love Your Life, are all great songs and the whole album is a masterpiece.
  • Options
    WillWill Posts: 41
    I started with Freakshow, and it worked for me.
    ... still Alive...
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    do not get the one with tuna in the brine on it, it stinks
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    chrisw_30chrisw_30 Posts: 21
    Depends on what stuff your into...

Frogstomp/Freak show are really good rocking out albums....if you love hard rock/grungy type

Neon Ballroom is probably the easiest to get into....

Diorama- My fav album of all time...Shows Daniel Johns is a genius and has a truly remarkable voice
    Carpe Diem Baby
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755

different strokes for different folks...the "one with tuna in the brine on it" aka Diorama is a brilliant collection of music, it really shows how the band has grown as musicians.
  • Options
    Frogstomp i got it not overly impressed but I haven't properly listened to it.
  • Options
    Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    Definately pick up 'Frogstomp', then put it on Madman, and turn your speakers all the way up...
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    i think freak show is there best album. frogstomp and neon ballroom are good too. i didnt think there last album was that great.
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    fada wrote:
    Frogstomp i got it not overly impressed but I haven't properly listened to it.

get neon ballroom next then. if neither of them appeal to you, silverchair might not be your cup of tea.
  • Options
    i totally agree with Soulsingings post..haha and love the "guns'n'roses style melodramatic epics" description

Silverchair have only gotten better with age... i really love all of their albums...they were my first ever concert 8 years ago(soooo goood live), and I honestly would recommend any of their albums.

BUT to pick just one, honestly... if you are anything of a music snob or really drawn to lyrics thebest album is their most recent DIORAMA.
    it is an awesome album, their best album lyrically, and it is their most complicated musically (esp the number of instruments used), and they also pride themselves on the fact that they dont use alot of the technology that most newbands use in the studio... i think things like pitch correctors and stuff.... its all finely tuned by their ears.

but album to start with also depends on if u like the harder stuff or the softer stuff....Neon ballroom, freakshow, frogstomp are all definately great albums to start with. The older albums are louder/heavier.

you can be sure that any of the albums have almost entirely great songs from top to bottom...which is not something that alot of bands can say nowadays.
    * Molson Amphitheatre - June 28, 2003
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 19, 2005
    * Eddie Vedder- Massey Hall- Aug 12, 2008
    * Molson Amphitheatre - Aug 21, 2009
    * HSBC Arena - May 10, 2010
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 11 2011
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 12 2011

• Options
    If you really want to get into a band its best to go from the start and you can re-live their growth. Especially with Silverchair, they changed alot.
    Benjamin, TouringVan 05/06

"Who is driving? Oh my god Bear is driving, how can that be?! ...Car full of midgets!"

Photobucket: MagicBus2006
  • Options
    OmaramaOmarama Posts: 267
    frogstomp is a great album.shade is an incredible emotional song and the album is fairly angry in some places.silverchair have changed a lot with age.
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

" makes much more sense to live in the present tense "
  • Options
    i hear they might be working on a new album? anyone know anything about that?
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    I heard about it, I dunno if it is true or not. That would be awesome though. Anyone know how good they are live?

http://www.chairpage.com/news/news.htm

Check it they are playing live in a coupla weeks, but in Australia...

And it confirms they are writing and such again
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    noalarmsnoalarms Posts: 40

Dude!!! Your crazy. Diorama is probably their best and most complete album. "tuna in the brine" is one of their best songs. Neon ballroom made me really love them though. "emotion sickness" is amazing.
  • Options
    noalarmsnoalarms Posts: 40
    i hear they might be working on a new album? anyone know anything about that?

They are working on a new album. Also check out Daniel Johns side project "the dissociatives". They are great.
  • Options
    spiral outspiral out Posts: 1,052
    All the albums are great but my fav is neon ballroom then diorama.

Can't wait for the new album, it's rare that bands i actually love bring out albums these days.
    Keep on rockin in the free world!!!!

The economy has polarized to the point where the wealthiest 10% now own 85% of the nation’s wealth. Never before have the bottom 90% been so highly indebted, so dependent on the wealthy.
  • Options
    Kraven wrote:
    I heard about it, I dunno if it is true or not. That would be awesome though. Anyone know how good they are live?

http://www.chairpage.com/news/news.htm

Check it they are playing live in a coupla weeks, but in Australia...

And it confirms they are writing and such again

i saw them on the neon ballroom US tour and they were absolutely fantastic. they pulled out a rare live performance of faultline and it fucking ROCKED. do yourself a favor and go see them if you have the chance!