Options

Bruce goes on "FOLK" music tour with yet another Band

Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
edited March 2006 in Other Music
http://backstreets.com/Assets/Images/seegersessions.jpg

SPRINGSTEEN'S SEEGER SESSIONS NOW OFFICIAL
We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions due on 4/25; "short tour" to coincide
Mere days after the release of Springsteen's latest live CD, Hammersmith Odeon London '75, we have official word of his next studio album, less than two months away. Like Devils & Dust, it's another DualDisc. Unlike Devils & Dust -- or any other album in his catalog -- it does indeed consist entirely of covers. From today's press release:

Columbia Records will release Bruce Springsteen's twenty-first album, We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions, on April 25. The album features Bruce's personal interpretations of thirteen traditional songs, all of them associated with the legendary guiding light of American folk music, Pete Seeger, for whom the album is named. Speaking of the origins of the new music, Springsteen said, "So much of my writing, particularly when I write acoustically, comes straight out of the folk tradition. Making this album was creatively liberating because I have a love of all those different roots sounds... they can conjure up a world with just a few notes and a few words."

Springsteen recorded the album with a large ensemble. The musicians on the record are Springsteen (guitar, harmonica, B3 organ and percussion), Sam Bardfeld (violin), Art Baron (tuba) Frank Bruno (guitar), Jeremy Chatzy (upright bass), Mark Clifford (banjo), Larry Eagle (drums and percussion), Charles Giordano (B3 organ, piano and accordion), Ed Manion (saxophone), Mark Pender (trumpet), Richie "La Bamba" Rosenberg (trombone) and Soozie Tyrell (violin). Lisa Lowell, Patti Scialfa, Springsteen, Pender, Tyrell, and Rosenberg contribute backing vocals.

We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions will be released in DualDisc format, with the full album on one side of the disc and DVD content on the other side. The 30 minute video side of the DualDisc contains extensive behind the scenes footage of the recording of the album. In addition, the DualDisc package will contain two bonus tracks and a special booklet including a note from Springsteen.

Springsteen is planning a short tour in the U.S. and Europe to accompany the release of the album. He will be appearing with most of the musicians who appeared on the CD. Details will be announced separately.

According to Springsteen's longtime manager Jon Landau, "We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions has a lightness and ease to it, a sheer joyfulness, that makes it very special from top to bottom. Bruce has taken a core group of classic American songs and transformed them into a high energy, modern and very personal statement."

Tracks
1. Old Dan Tucker
2. Jessie James
3. Mrs. McGrath
4. Oh, Mary, Don't You Weep
5. John Henry
6. Erie Canal
7. Jacob's Ladder
8. My Oklahoma Home
9. Eyes On The Prize
10. Shenandoah
11. Pay Me My Money Down
12. We Shall Overcome
13. Froggie Went A-Courtin'

Bonus Tracks
Buffalo Gals
How Can I Keep From Singing

The Band
Back row L-R: Sam Bardfeld, Jeremy Chatzky, Lisa Lowell, Frank Bruno, Soozie Tyrell, Mark Pender, Charles Giordano, Ed Manion, Larry Eagle
Front row L-R: Mark Clifford, Patti Scialfa, Bruce Springsteen, Richie "LaBamba" Rosenberg
http://backstreets.com/Assets/Images/seegerPorch.jpg

I know all the buzz is about PJ and the new album, tour, ect,..
but i know alot of us cross over as Bruce fans also.
I have mixed emotions about this project- just coming off a tour / album of bruce- only and NO E Street band. ( Devils & Dust ) It still showcased his lyrical genius and storytelling, without the ESB, but i was hoping we'd see them back after all that. numerous tourdates and shows, and now a " FOLK " music tour? And take a look at the tracklists- songs being performed. Really a stretch out of the norm and what the expectations have been.
And look at the additions of Conans band mates- Mark Pender and La Bamba on horns. And no Max Weinberg ?It just doesnt make sense- but anyway. I love Bruce and if no shows coincide with PJ's i will check out 1 or 2- but no more then that .

good luck
For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
platessmall.jpg
ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
http://www.UNOS.org
Donate Organs and Save a Life
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    KricketKricket Posts: 707
    hey cool thanks for all this info, I saw him on his Devils and Dust solo tour in Detroit at the Fox Theatre and he blew me away, I loved the show and I'll go see him again anyway I can...well yah as long as the dates aren't hte same as PJs. I'lll only catch one, if the tix price is the same as last tour.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    yes fucking awsome. thanks for the good news.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    no more love for the boss?

must be due to the new album release,....
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    no more love for the boss?

must be due to the new album release,....

i certianly don't look forward to another watered down tour/cd. especially a tour where he decides to gouge his long time loyal fans YET AGAIN with those $100+ ticket prices

it's time for him to give back and not keep taking....
  • Options
    natureboy46natureboy46 Posts: 165
    i certianly don't look forward to another watered down tour/cd. especially a tour where he decides to gouge his long time loyal fans YET AGAIN with those $100+ ticket prices

it's time for him to give back and not keep taking....

YEah, I love Bruce but I haven't seen him live sonce I moved to the States (2000) because I can't afford the tickets.
    In the land of the little kings
    Profit is the only thing
    And everywhere the little kings
    Are getting away with murder
    - Paul Kelly

www.troywass.com
  • Options
    KricketKricket Posts: 707
    YEah, I love Bruce but I haven't seen him live sonce I moved to the States (2000) because I can't afford the tickets.
    I know I wish his tix were a bit more affordable, same with The Who, CSNY and of course, the stones.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    I love the Boss!!

Saw him and the E-street in Chicago in '03.

Great show!!!

I missed out on the DnD tour though :(
  • Options

the guy has a zillion dollars and still charges $100+ for his last solo tour...at the show i saw he grossed 1million dollars and played alone(devils&dust)...i didn't even plan to go but a ticket snafu ended up with me going...i wasn't impressed at all...mainly because i kept thinking of whether he was really worth the money i paid. i left the show feeling ripped off.

in all honesty i'm OK with $100 for the FULL estreet band(cause it's like 8 people in that band!!) but he really has joined the likes of U2/STONES/WHO/CSNY which really REALLY sucks

and bruce is suppose to be all about understanding the working man...well let me tell ya THIS working man is fed up of the pure greed