Options

Split Enz touring

rohltendorohltendo Posts: 2
edited February 2006 in Other Music
Hey all - I'm new here but a long time PJ fan... thought this might interest some of you as Ed Vedder has spoken of his love for Split Enz and has played live with the Finns on a few occasions; Also, Pearl Jam covered 'I Got You' in concert a few times over the years.

SPLIT ENZ TO TOUR AUSTRALIA, JUNE 2006

History Doesn't Repeat. It just gets better.

Split Enz, the group that helped define the course of music in Australia and New Zealand, are reuniting and hitting the road this June for an Australian tour that Frenz fans have only dreamed of.

This June the True Colours lineup (that produced smash hit I Got You) of Tim Finn, Neil Finn, Eddie Rayner, Noel Crombie, Nigel Griggs, and Malcolm Green will bring the inimitable style of Split Enz to arena stages in Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth.

Audiences can expect to be treated to a typically extravagant - full of hits - Split Enz concert but fans should also be prepared for some surprises.

It has also been confirmed that Noel Crombie will once again take up the double mantle of band member and stylist/set designer. So be prepared for some classic Split Enz costumes with a bit of '06 flair and a return of the famous spoons!

Split Enz have defied critics repeatedly, surviving thirteen lineup changes throughout their twelve year career, while securing numerous number one albums and singles in Australia and New Zealand. Canadians embraced them with three number one album spots, while the UK, Holland, Belgium, Israel and Spain all saw the band chart into the Top Ten.

In Australia albums Dizrythmia, Frenzy, Conflicting Emotions and Spellbound all went Gold, while Time & Tide went 2 x Platinum, Corroboree 3 x Platinum and True Colours 5 x Platinum.

Their fans are amongst the most dedicated in the world, with the band's official fanclub, Frenz of the Enz, boasting 15,000 paying members from across the globe. In recent years, the membership has increased notably as younger and younger fans have discovered the timeless appeal of Split Enz's music.

The members of Split Enz frequently referred to Australia as their second home, and there is no doubt that Aussies embraced them in return, according the band a cult status that few other bands can rival. In 1975 the band performed at Ormond Hall as part of Reefer Cabaret. The gig was to be a turning point in the band's career and from there they went on to sell an impressive 1.2 million albums in Australia alone.

The last time Split Enz reunited was to perform at their induction into the ARIA Hall Of Fame in 2005. Prior to that the band performed a one-off concert on New Year's Eve in New Zealand for the Millennium. The June tour of Australia will be their first concert tour of this magnitude since the farewell Enz With A Bang! Tour in 1984.

With one date only per city, tickets to see Split Enz this June aren't expected to last long. Tickets are on-sale Wednesday 22nd February at 9:00am.

TOUR DATES - JUNE 2006

Wednesday 7 June Brisbane Entertainment Centre

Friday 9 June Sydney Entertainment Centre

Sunday 11 June Melbourne Rod Laver Arena

Tuesday 13 June Adelaide Entertainment Centre

Friday 16 June Perth Burswood Dome
look at all the people like cows in a herd
well i like
birds
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Lucky bastards:)
    I hope they come to the states.The only thing that bugs me is if they bring back the 80's hair -do's that they had.They were pretty Flock of Seaguls.But I love the music!
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • Options
    I was bloody excited when I read that the other day, they better include New Zealand in their tour schedule
    26/02/1998 Wellington, 09/09/2006 Marseille, 16/09/2006 Verona
    23/09/2006 Berlin, 30/09/2006 Athens, 18/07/2007 London
    02/07/2009 Honolulu (EV Solo), 22/11/2009, Sydney, 29/11/2009 Christchurch
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Oooooo! :D And the musical bad ass year of 2006 continues to kick MAJOR ass! Wow! This is such exciting news.

I'm with you shell bell. Here's to hoping they come to the states.
    :D

LOL @ the hair -do comment. :p haha. That was pretty scary... even scarier is that the 80's are making a comeback. :eek: Please boys! Don't do us lilke that. ;) Regardless though...it is all about the music indeed and this music is absolutely awesome!

Thanks for this heads up rohltendo & welcome to the PJ PARTY PIT. :)
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    Lydia, that was the news that I FORGOT to mention to you last week :D haha. YOu see, I KNEW it was something music related :p

YEA for Split Enz, and YEA< I am w/you Michelle and Lyd, I DO hope they come over here to the states so we can see them. :)
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    In the press conference Tim said he'd love to play New York, LA and London but I think they're going to wait and see how the reception is in Australia first. Rumour has it they're waiting for the new stadium in Auckland to be ready before they play NZ.

Oh, and no sign of the hair-doos yet... in fact, a couple of them seem to be fast running out of hair to work with ;)

enzprcon0035cj.jpg

On the subject of mad hair, I hear when Ed played at Neil's 7 World's Collide shows he wanted to style his hair up Split Enz style but couldn't quite get there... couple of months later he was sporting the mo-hawk...

p.s. thanks for the welcome VEDHEAD :)
    look at all the people like cows in a herd
    well i like
    birds
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    WHOA!! Both Neil and Tim both grew their hairs out since the last time we saw the Finn Brothers in concert almost 2 years ago :eek:

thanks for the news rohltendo :D and for that pic too!!!
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    You guys are lucky as hell. I hope the tour is amazingly successful and they decide to take it worldwide.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    Come to CANADA!

Oh so far away!!! It get's me excited though! You Australians are so lucky! :D

And thanks for the article rohltendo.
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • Options
    they are not touring NZ though
    Run to the hills
    run for your life