~ REM appreciation thread ~

Comments

• It's this damn board....it always crashes on me at 12.20 every single day!!

Same as... it's a pain in the ass :rolleyes:

And yes, New Adventures is a damn fine album, one of their best. Tbh I'm a little obsessed with Life's Rich Pageant atm, it's awesome! Absolutely love Underneath the Bunker... show's REM's quirkiness at it's best :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    Same as... it's a pain in the ass :rolleyes:

I always thought it must just crash for me cos no one has ever mentioned it as far as I've seen. It's especially annoying when you take your lunch between 12 and 12.30 usually and that's the time it goes down!!
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
    He is a good guy... He's my boyfriend :p

Oh cool. We met Dave and Co out drinking in Dublin in 2006.....twas a very good night :)

Were you in the queue with him at Wembley last Summer then?
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Oh cool. We met Dave and Co out drinking in Dublin in 2006.....twas a very good night :)

Were you in the queue with him at Wembley last Summer then?

No, I was at Wembley but we didn't know each other at the time. We met on here and then in 'real' life in November... the rest, as they say, is history :)

I take my lonch at 1pm but sneak posts in during the day. 12:10pm is always a pain... and I always seem to refresh at that time everyday... damn being a creature of habit :rolleyes:

So you're seeing REM in Cardiff? Not venturing out to Twickenham?

(I've just seen who the support acts are.... bugger it, millenium hand and shrimp :()
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    What have the average show length been? I have seen b/w about 23 and 27 songs. Just wondering. Seeing them in Raleigh, who else going?
  • ...Editors and guiLLeMoTs.

Eurgh! :(

No, I was at Wembley but we didn't know each other at the time. We met on here and then in 'real' life in November... the rest, as they say, is history :)

I take my lonch at 1pm but sneak posts in during the day. 12:10pm is always a pain... and I always seem to refresh at that time everyday... damn being a creature of habit :rolleyes:

So you're seeing REM in Cardiff? Not venturing out to Twickenham?

(I've just seen who the support acts are.... bugger it, millenium hand and shrimp :()

Cool....my wife and I originally knew each other from the Foo Fighters forum and met at their show in Glasgow in 2003 :) Who says the internet isn't romantic?

NO, not venturing as far as Twickenham. The stadium in Cardiff is only about 20 minutes from our house.

Yeah, Editors and Guillamots for support. Could be worse, could be better. At Cardiff in 2005 we had Idlewild (Who were awersome, as ever) and The Zutons (who were pants!)

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    what do people think of dead letter office? I haven't got this one yet but would love to know if it's worth the purchase...
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Cool....my wife and I originally knew each other from the Foo Fighters forum and met at their show in Glasgow in 2003 :) Who says the internet isn't romantic?

NO, not venturing as far as Twickenham. The stadium in Cardiff is only about 20 minutes from our house.

Yeah, Editors and Guillamots for support. Could be worse, could be better. At Cardiff in 2005 we had Idlewild (Who were awersome, as ever) and The Zutons (who were pants!)

Internet not romantic, my arse! ;)

Shame you won't be at Twickenham, there's a fair few of us going! :D

Idlewild are great, I saw them back in 2000 and then again when they supoorted PJ at Wembley. The Zutons? I really can't comment :p Dunno if the support for REM will be good or not, tbh i'm not really a fan of any of this mass produced British new age indie shit but who knows? They could be the greatest thing since sliced bread live...

• Zoso wrote:
    what do people think of dead letter office? I haven't got this one yet but would love to know if it's worth the purchase...

I was gonna ask this! I thought about buying it last week but didn't get round to asking people's opinions... nice one Zoso :)

• Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    This thread has cost me money :eek:. I've just ordered 5 of the old albums because of you guys. DOH!!
  • nuffingman wrote:
    This thread has cost me money :eek:. I've just ordered 5 of the old albums because of you guys. DOH!!

haha! welcome to my world :p since I started this damn thread I've bought 6 REM albums :o
    Worth it though ;)

• Last one didn't work though

Scratch that, changed PC's and got it working :D

I love: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IduC6NSYY-s&feature=user
    My favourite PHJ song done by REM... does it get anymore perfect?! :D

and I absolutely adore: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5iwK0IFgZyQ
    Stipe's vocals are amazing!!!! :eek:

My two favourite musical front men on one stage... almost brought a tear to me eye!

Oh How I love Vedder and Stipey :o

Thanks Tomer :D

• Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    According to The New Scientist, cows produce more milk while listening to music, REM and paul simon proved to be popular with the bovine crowd. :)
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • According to The New Scientist, cows produce more milk while listening to music, REM and paul simon proved to be popular with the bovine crowd. :)

Genius!! :D

even cows have taste ;)

Internet not romantic, my arse! ;)

Shame you won't be at Twickenham, there's a fair few of us going! :D

Idlewild are great, I saw them back in 2000 and then again when they supoorted PJ at Wembley. The Zutons? I really can't comment :p Dunno if the support for REM will be good or not, tbh i'm not really a fan of any of this mass produced British new age indie shit but who knows? They could be the greatest thing since sliced bread live...

Yeah, Idlewild never fail to impress live. Seen them a bunch of times....was so pleased when they announced as the PJ support last year. When they played with R.E.M. they did Sweet Home Alabama with Mike Mills on the piano...was pretty cool.

I really don;t think Editirs or Gullimots are the best thing since sliced bread but out of the current crop of British indie bands there are worse ones out there......Razorlight for example.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Yeah, Idlewild never fail to impress live. Seen them a bunch of times....was so pleased when they announced as the PJ support last year. When they played with R.E.M. they did Sweet Home Alabama with Mike Mills on the piano...was pretty cool.

I really don;t think Editirs or Gullimots are the best thing since sliced bread but out of the current crop of British indie bands there are worse ones out there......Razorlight for example.

Wow! Sweet Home Alabama! I do love a bit o' Lynyrd Skynyrd :D

Oh I agree! Editors and Gullimots are both shite IMO but i'll probably end up watching 'em :rolleyes:

I quite like Razorlight :o

nuffingman wrote:

I have bought Fables, Reckoning and Pagent last week because of this thread.

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Zoso wrote:
    I have bought Fables, Reckoning and Pagent last week because of this thread.

I bought Pageant last week... and gave it to Audio cuz it was one of the very few he hasn't got :o

I miss it :(

*logs into amazon.co.uk*

:D

I bought Pageant last week... and gave it to Audio cuz it was one of the very few he hasn't got :o

I miss it :(

*logs into amazon.co.uk*

:D

I just need dead letter office but of the 'real' albums I have them now :p

• Zoso wrote:
    I just need dead letter office but of the 'real' albums I have them now :p

I only possess:

In Time: The Best of REM
    Accelerate
    Life's Rich Pageant
    Document
    Automatic for the People
    Up
    Monster
    New Adventures in Hifi
    Reveal

(Before I met Audiodave, I only possessed 'In Time: The Best Of' :o)

My favourites are probably Pageant, Monster and Hifi :D I refuse to buy Out of Time due to the track 'Shiny Happy People' *shudders* I'm gonna download the other tracks from it though.

Hmm... 'bout time I bought another album, I say...

Any suggestions?

• chimechime Posts: 7,838
    So I own

Accelerate
    Around the Sun
    Automatic for the People
    Green
    Monster
    New Adventures in Hifi
    Out of Time
    Reveal
    Up

What do I need before Twickenham???
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Chime wrote:

That's what I wanted to ask :o

EDIT: I HIGHLY recommend Pageant :D (Amazon used and new £3.19 ;))

• chimechime Posts: 7,838
    That's what I wanted to ask :o

EDIT: I HIGHLY recommend Pageant :D (Amazon used and new £3.19 ;))

I shall follow your recommendation shortly
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Chime wrote:
    So I own

Accelerate
    Around the Sun
    Automatic for the People
    Green
    Monster
    New Adventures in Hifi
    Out of Time
    Reveal
    Up

DOCUMENT!!!

Reckoning.

Murmur.

:)
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    audiodave wrote:
    DOCUMENT!!!

Reckoning.

Murmur.

and

life's rich pageant

• audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    cutback wrote:
    and

life's rich pageant

That was covered by someone very nice above me. ;)
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
    My fav R.E.M. album is possibly Document.. I mean finest worksong, the one i love, end of the world, occupation, exhuming, strange, herion house.. Does it get any better? I recommend this to anyone who hasn't got it.