"Live music sucks!"

gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 140
edited January 2006 in Other Music
So, I was at FYE yesterday just browsing, and I saw some kid (about 16 I would say....maybe a little older) looking through the racks and discs for a particular song with his girlfiend. After looking through about 5 or 6 CDs, he found one that had the song he was looking for and was all excited. As he and his girl were walking away, his joy becomes disdain....."Oh crap, this is a live version". G/f asks "What's wrong with that?" His reply - "Live music sucks". He put the CD back and left the store, upset that our mall has no other record stores (or music stores, since they don't really sell records anymore).

If I weren't in such a crappy mood, I think I might have stopped him and said something. I was just flabbergasted. I mean, sure, SOME live music sucks, but usually if it is a band that you like, you enjoy the live music as well. Just thought I'd share.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
-John Lennon
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    bah...ignorant opinion as i see it...just to let everyone know, im 15 and not all of us teenagers are idiots like that lol
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,741
    To paraphrase Eddie Vedder:

Animal in the zoo : Album :: Animal in the wild : Live Show
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • To paraphrase Eddie Vedder:

Animal in the zoo : Album :: Animal in the wild : Live Show

Awesome!!

And yes, not all teenagers are idiots like this kid!! ;)

I remember, my first Live cd was AC/DC Live and i bought it when i was like 10, i loved it and the roar of the crowd still does it for me every time :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    do you have any idea what the song/band was
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    I don't even think age matters at all.

I know a guy who hates live music, and he's around my age. :eek:

And he considers himself a big music fan.

Lol!

What a big turn off.
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • mariposa wrote:
    I don't even think age matters at all.

I know a guy who hates live music, and he's around my age. :eek:

And he considers himself a big music fan.

Lol!

What a big turn off.

Can't beat the live stuff yeah.
    Have you ever tried closing your eyes and just listening when your at a concert?
    Wave came crashing...
    Can't beat the live stuff yeah.
    Have you ever tried closing your eyes and just listening when your at a concert?

I do that all the time. :)
  • mariposa wrote:
    I do that all the time. :)

It's so dope hey.
    I first tried it when I was listening to oasis a couple of months ago when they played Live Forever. I don't do it often though cos I like to watch but its really cool huh!
    Wave came crashing...
    It's so dope hey.
    I first tried it when I was listening to oasis a couple of months ago when they played Live Forever. I don't do it often though cos I like to watch but its really cool huh!

:D Very nice...

PJ's the best for that. Although not throughout the set.
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Live music sucks??!!!
    well, obviously he has no idea of what he's talking about!
    stupid kid! (and no, by writing that there I do not mean that all teenagers are like him.)

or then the bands he listens to suck live. :D
    which brings us to the conclusion that he listens to the wrong music. :p
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • toastertoaster Posts: 152
    I've read lots of reviews of live records where the guy/girl reviewing is totally not-fond of live stuff. Some of the best music-journalists we have in this country thinks live-versions of songs doesn't really contribute anything new to the album-version and that therefore there is no point in releasing live-albums.

I myself love live-albums (bootlegs). The energy from the crowd that can get a band really going, and just the energy from a good live-album/boot is just amazing!

"or then the bands he listens to suck live. :D
    which brings us to the conclusion that he listens to the wrong music. :p"

haha, good one!
  • When it comes to live music, I think it honestly depends on the band. If we're talking Pearl Jam (of course), Nine Inch Nails, Tool, Alice in Chains, or Led Zeppelin, THEIR MUSIC ROCKS EITHER WAY!! Hell, I'd love to have some live Zeppelin or Tool, but I just haven't gone out to buy any yet!! Now when we're talking bands like Linkin Park (my friend has a live cd from them) then it's God awful!!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    i dont know, when i was younger i enjoyed going to a live show, but if there was a given song id heard on the radio and was trying to track down i would NOT want some strange live version. sometimes you can get fucked by that. you end up with some self-indulgent 10-minute version of a song that was perfect at 3-minutes in its original form. or you'll get a crappy "wanna seem artistic" acoustic version of a song that rocked the house down before. ive been burned like that before and if i hadnt seen a decent live show yet id be kinda turned off by live music too.
  • i am 15 too and i live in spain where nobody pearl jam knows...when i show them something about them they only say THAT SUCKS...so i feel horrible...because nobody understands me...they only listen to this comercial shit on the radio...like the pussy cat dolls...this shit...i know how it feels if someone tells you what you love sucks...but i think live music shows the energy of the band!!
  • T-CaseT-Case Posts: 186
    im 17 now, and i first really started to get into music seriously when i was about 12, and the first band i was really into was Nirvana and the first cd i bought of theirs was Muddy Banks,(a live cd), the version of drain you on there has been one of my favorite songs and is amazing. Studio albums are great, but so are live cds, some people are very ignorant.
    PJ at MSG in 2008! Mission Accomplished

The band all knows. We're too afraid to mention.
    Don't want to be part of Frank's luncheon.
    Lose weight. Be safe. Where's Mike McCready?
    My god he's been ate!
  • there are WAY more people like that out there than good and avid music listeners.

my guess/assumption is that he hardly ever listens to music and that if the live music he's heard sucked, he listens to crappy bands as well.

and not crappy as in bad music.. i mean.. terribly untalented people..

*nods*
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    LOL..that's crazy...i guess that band must of sucked live...all the bands i like are pretty good live so i have no qualms about buying live stuff.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • SkooledSkooled Posts: 147
    If I want something for say, in my car, I would want a studio album, but if it was one of my fav. bands and I already had their cds I would want live.
  • moloko21moloko21 Posts: 114
    When I was young I think I felt the same way as that kid. I liked the studio version of the song, with everything arranged very particularly and mixed and produced in a certain way. When I heard a live version of the same song, I had trouble getting into it because I was used to hearing the song a certain way. It didn't make me an idiot, and I highly doubt this kid was an idiot either. His music taste just maybe hasn't developed to the point where he can appreciate the revelatory nature of live music. Big deal.
    "no, i can't give you full credit, but i'm not gonna flunk you either. you're all getting incompletes."
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    I don't blame the kid. Live albums aren't the best place to start with a new band(new to you anyway). The only band I have ever gotten into through a live album is Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals with "Live From Mars." Live music is great, if you like the band, but hearing a band live can(sometimes) provide a completely different sound from their studio stuff. I love my ~10 Pearl Jam live albums(actually don't really listen to their studio stuff much anymore) and my other live albums of bands I like, but when I'm just starting out with a band I will almost always look for their studio releases first.
  • gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 140
    sj_2150 wrote:
    do you have any idea what the song/band was

Not sure about the song. I think the band was called Living End. I have never heard of them, and couldn't tell you what kind of music they play.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon
  • "Live music is better,' bumper stickers
    Should be issued!"- Neil Young (song, Union Man)
    "Fuckin' hippies!"
  • OmaramaOmarama Posts: 267
    black eyed wrote:
    i am 15 too and i live in spain where nobody pearl jam knows...when i show them something about them they only say THAT SUCKS...so i feel horrible...because nobody understands me...they only listen to this comercial shit on the radio...like the pussy cat dolls...this shit...i know how it feels if someone tells you what you love sucks...but i think live music shows the energy of the band!!

i didn't realise there was so many 15 year olds on here! i'm 15 too and thats the reaction i've got from a couple of my friends when they heard some pearl jam.it is sad that so many people our age have such awful taste in music.live music is good when done by good bands

i'd love to have some live led zeppelin or pearl jam but i'm a poor teenager and don't have the money to go out and buy every album i want lol.my album wishlist is quite long at the moment
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

" makes much more sense to live in the present tense "
  • i can understand the kid's feelings, to be entirely honest. i love music, it's practically my life. and i enjoy live music, when i am in the venue at the time, watching the band play that music live. however, i do not always enjoy listening to live music in the form of a cd or record. there are exceptions, i think, to particular songs whose live versions end up being better than their studio versions, such as fleetwood mac's version of "landslide" on the dance, but entire albums done live are difficult for some people to listen to if they weren't at the show itself. for me, pearl jam is the only band i will buy live albums from and actually enjoy, even though i love live music. it's all a matter of taste i guess.
    that's faarkokte.
  • I love live albums....

Oasis - Familliar to Millions is amazing! Listening to all of those people singing the chorus of "Don't Look Back in Anger" is priceless.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    I love live albums....

Oasis - Familliar to Millions is amazing! Listening to all of those people singing the chorus of "Don't Look Back in Anger" is priceless.

that version of cigarettes and alcohol fucking kills!