Options

Pumpkins To Reform...new Developments

unfortunateson11unfortunateson11 Posts: 9
edited January 2006 in Other Music
http://www.nme.com/news/smashing-pumpkins/21996

WHOLE...LEE....SHIT.

rumors are swirling that the Smashing Pumpkins are getting together for a summer tour, with Coachella (April 30) being the first gig. If this is true, this is unbelievable. It's been over five years!
4-23-03 Champaign
6-21-03 Alpine Valley
9-9-05 Thunder Bay
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    AWESOME!!
    somehow i really value d'arcy....but whatever..this rocks
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i heard axl rose was getting back together......
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I'm glad to see they are getting back together. If they record a new album together, I just hope it is more like their first 3 records than anything from Machina or Adore, those albums are medicore compared to Gish, Siamese Dream (sp ?) and Mellancholly. Also, they were never a great live band, so doing a live tour won't be that great either.

But, still, happy to see they are reforming
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Anxiously waiting...
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    smarchee wrote:
    I'm glad to see they are getting back together. If they record a new album together, I just hope it is more like their first 3 records than anything from Machina or Adore, those albums are medicore compared to Gish, Siamese Dream (sp ?) and Mellancholly. Also, they were never a great live band, so doing a live tour won't be that great either.

But, still, happy to see they are reforming
    Adore is a terrific album, not in the same style as any of their other stuff, but it is still as good as any of their other albums. I agree about Machina though.
  • Options
    CM1847 wrote:
    Adore is a terrific album, not in the same style as any of their other stuff, but it is still as good as any of their other albums. I agree about Machina though.

yeah, I mean, I like Adore, but I see it more as a sub-par experimentation album. I thought if he wanted to go down the road of "Eye" from the Batman movie, that would have made a better record. I became tired with Adore rather quickly.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    smarchee wrote:
    yeah, I mean, I like Adore, but I see it more as a sub-par experimentation album. I thought if he wanted to go down the road of "Eye" from the Batman movie, that would have made a better record. I became tired with Adore rather quickly.
    I see your point, it was defiintely a big departure for them, but it makes sense without a drummer. I remember a lot of people were expecting them to follow the synth-elctro route they started with "The End Is the Begining Is The End" and "Eye," so I think Adore caught everybody off guard. But for me, it gets more listens now than any of the Pumpkins other stuff.
  • Options
    CM1847 wrote:
    I see your point, it was defiintely a big departure for them, but it makes sense without a drummer. I remember a lot of people were expecting them to follow the synth-elctro route they started with "The End Is the Begining Is The End" and "Eye," so I think Adore caught everybody off guard. But for me, it gets more listens now than any of the Pumpkins other stuff.

That's fair, there is some songs I like on Adore like Perfect, Daphne Descends, Crestfallen (one of my favourite SP songs) and Annie-Dog, but I don't find myself listening to this album 1 through the end.

For me, Siamese Dream takes the cake, er....pumpkin
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    sweet, I wish I lived on the west coast, although I'm sure they'll make their way over here
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    cool..thanks for the update!
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    U-RU-R Posts: 223
    we can only hope. it'd be the best thing to happen to music for a long time if it came true. i personally think machina was second only to siamese dream as their best effort, they were a band that i get the feeling departed whilst they still had plenty of territory unexplored... in any case, they were just too goddamn good not to be excited at the prospect of their return *crosses fingers*
    if you love somebody, set them free. if somebody loves you, don't fuck up
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    CM1847 wrote:

yeah, Adore, it amazes me how underrated this album is, luckily it will receive the props it deserves in the short future.
    Machina is just lacking focus, lots of cacophony, you can perceive that was a band about to break up.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    I really wonder how this thing will play out. This band was really hit and miss live. I saw them several times and they were amazing. However, several other times I saw them, they were less than spectacular at best. Seemed to depend on the bands mood that evening. All but a few shows were between 91-94, so it's not as if the band were changing thier stage presence as they matured (ala PJ). The music was usually always good, but Billy would run wild on songs like I am one and Silverfck. Just not enjoyable jams. I love the songs, but the whining and moaning got to be a bit much. This said, they were my second favorite band growing up, and I would pay serious cash to be albe to see them again.
    What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
  • Options
    sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    i think it will be short lived if they do get back together
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    sj_2150 wrote:
    i think it will be short lived if they do get back together

SHHH!!!!
    whats with the negativity?
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    wow. it will indeed be a good year for music.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    barcoach wrote:
    yeah, Adore, it amazes me how underrated this album is, luckily it will receive the props it deserves in the short future.
    Machina is just lacking focus, lots of cacophony, you can perceive that was a band about to break up.
    very underrated indeed..it took sometime to grow on me..but glad it did...i listen to Adore the most nowadays compared to other albums.
    Machina was just too over produced..but still a decent effort.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    There was a fake poster for this years Coachella that was going around for a day or two...

http://www.ebombfilms.com/coachella/coachella_2006_version1.jpg
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    wow. it will indeed be a good year for music.

you said it ..i keep hearing of all the bands supposed to be touring this year ..im so pumped i can hardly wait for it all to start....man am i ever gonna be broke this year haha oh well it will all be worth it
    dream like your living forever
    live like your dying today
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    oh ye ! jimmy chamberlain is comming back , well maybe
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    I BrisK I wrote:

Jimmy is on board. Venture over to his message board and see for yourself. He's already said as much.
  • Options
    a great year for music indeed.

smashing pumpkins touring (possibly, fingers crossed). radiohead is touring the u.s., and you have to figure on a pearl jam tour as well. that's 3 big-time tours that i, for one, won't miss. i just hope i have some money left at the end of summer.
    4-23-03 Champaign
    6-21-03 Alpine Valley
    9-9-05 Thunder Bay
  • Options
    dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    Wow...thats awesome news. I'd go see them live for sure if they come around here.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    I BrisK I wrote:

yeh, he is like a fucking king of the drums, he is so fast, i love his solo album but also drumming in other songs
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    i will only accept the reunion IF James, D'arcy, Jimmy and Billy are in the reunion...I like Melissa and all, but there is NO replacing D'arcy.

But we'll wait until the news is confirmed about Coachella, i think people are saying that they will announce the line-up within next week :eek: wohooohhoo!!
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    That would be incredible if it actually does happen. The Smashing Pumpkins are one of those bands that i regret getting to see live like soundgarden & nirvana. How good of a summer would it be if SP toured along w/ PJ.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"