Options

Dinosaur Jr follow up

verb_to_trustverb_to_trust Posts: 178
edited January 2006 in Other Music
For those of you who remember my last thread i was going to pick up a cd by these guys and wanted your advice. Wel,, I ended up with 'Where You Been" and I thought it was pretty good ( maybe a little too short).

For those of you familiar with the cd I really enjoyed track 2 (start choppin), track 6 (get me), and track 7 (Drawerings). Catchy and melodic tunes with these great blissful and bright sounding guitar solos.

Based on these three songs which direction should I head next? I'm looking for the Dino Jr. album that has songs of this ilk my guess would be that perhaps Green Mind would be a wise choice.

Great band , but I need advice.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Green Mind or Without A Sound. I am only throwing Without a Sound in there because 'I' find it closer in sound to Where Ya Been than Green Mind. Green Mind rules though.

I really just don't think you can go wrong with any of the Warner releases if you like that sound. If you decide you want a more indie sound, you will have your SST releases.
  • Options
    BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    For those of you who remember my last thread i was going to pick up a cd by these guys and wanted your advice. Wel,, I ended up with 'Where You Been" and I thought it was pretty good ( maybe a little too short).

For those of you familiar with the cd I really enjoyed track 2 (start choppin), track 6 (get me), and track 7 (Drawerings). Catchy and melodic tunes with these great blissful and bright sounding guitar solos.

Based on these three songs which direction should I head next? I'm looking for the Dino Jr. album that has songs of this ilk my guess would be that perhaps Green Mind would be a wise choice.

You didn't like "Goin' Home"? Savage.
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    transplant wrote:
    Green Mind or Without A Sound. I am only throwing Without a Sound in there because 'I' find it closer in sound to Where Ya Been than Green Mind. Green Mind rules though.

I really just don't think you can go wrong with any of the Warner releases if you like that sound. If you decide you want a more indie sound, you will have your SST releases.

I echo transplant's advice. Green Mind is the better album but the sound is a little different.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    intodeep wrote:
    I echo transplant's advice. Green Mind is the better album but the sound is a little different.

Green Mind or Without a Sound are both belters, both short(similar length to WYB) but well worthy of adding to your collection, i also must reccomend J Masics solo accoustic live album Martin & Me, without a doubt one of the best cds on my shelf.
    happy listening:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    Glad you picked an amazing album like Where Ya Been. I'd say go with Green Mind.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options

they do have a greatest hits album out there...
    He is alive but feels absolutely nothing.
    So is he?
    When he was six he believed that the moon overhead followed him.
    By nine he had deciphered the illusion trading magic for fact.
    No tradebacks...
    So this is what it's like to be an adult
    If he only knew now what he knew then...
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    You're Living All Over Me is more representative of the band Dinosaur Jr. than just a J. Mascis guitar-fest. I like Green Mind a lot, but YLAOM captures that band in a time right before this type of music went in a more main-stream direction.

Looking back, the following records transitioned me from white kid suburban metal to things like, YLAOM, Sonic Youth's Sister, Big Black's Atomizer, Butthole Surfer's Locust Abortion Technition, and then there were all the Husker records...ha, i still love white kid metal (and I'll bet the farm Mascis does too).

I think I said it on your other thread, there's just so much going on w/ the bass and drums on this record...the songs are more interesting. Sludgefest, The Lung, Raisans...

Check out this interview -- a ways into it, they draw some interesting comparisons/differences w/ Nirvana and such:http:
    http://www.avclub.com/content/node/24929
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    while the first three records are without a doubt the best things mascis has ever done, you cannot go wrong with Green Mind. its killer.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    they do have a greatest hits album out there...

I'm not really itno greatest hits albums.....its like dating a girl who wears too much makeup.

Someone else reccomended the 3 earleir albums and i am aware of the status in indie rock history of YLAOM but I think my tastes are going in the direction of the Mascis "guitar fest"

Being a guitar player who loves technical proficiency on the instrament but fully understanding that very VERY few people can play fast solos with the "feel" necessary to evoke the emotion that a great riff or lyric can and Mascis is one of those guys.

So I think i want to head in the commercial guitar fest phase of this band and then check back with the lou barlow era later.

Thank you for all your opinions though
  • Options
    I was kind of thinking you really might like to check out his solo album Free so Free. It came out i guess in like 2002 or 03 and it has some great melodic guitar riffs. I thought it was a very mature album but it did not stray too much from the face melting guitar we all know and love from J.

Also you need to hear ALONE. It is on the hand it over album which is not really one of my favs but the song ALONE is a must. Also if you dig guitar check out his cover with mike watt of Maggot Brain on the Ball Hog or Tugboat album. He fuckin owns that song!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    http://www.dinosaurjr.com/home.news.htm

2006 American Tour dates announced. Go see them You may want to bring ear plugs. Also on Lou Barlow's website he said they are going to record a new album very soon.

HELL YEAH!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    if you want more of the same, get green mind or free so free. just make sure to work your way back to you're living all over me.