Options

All Hail Radiohead

Matt8townsendMatt8townsend Posts: 112
edited December 2005 in Other Music
Just thought Id post this one since Radiohead have got to be the second best band on the planet (that are still going that is)

Closely followed by Tool Id have to say - and when the fcuk are they gonna release another album?!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    what are the top 3 radiohead songs out there?
  • Options
    Cannabis wrote:
    what are the top 3 radiohead songs out there?

Id vote for Let Down, No Surprises and Paranoid Android - all off OK Computer.

Fake Plastic Trees off anything else.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    Walker Evan's "Luncheon Window, New York" 1929

A car camouflaged in contemporary colors
    was pulled from the curb by a swatch
    of superstitious workers
    deployed as if from an organized handbook.

Leaving scars on the dashboard they evict the driver
    from his means of escape. He runs through red lights
    down a flight of steps. His car’s towed away
    like a broken ship ready to sink to keep a secret.

Lunchtime wanderers can only view
    this man’s life within a diner window frame.
    Even less concerned with the multiple demise
    the red light flashes for a moment.
    Next moment.
    Next moment.
    Next moment.

Across the street at a public park
    a jump rope slackens.
    Two girls dressed in proper pink
    witness this scene not revealed within the alphabet.

The parking space refills with only one dink,
    and lunchtime wanderers who never step on sidewalk cracks
    look beyond and to the left of descending steps.
    They consider their hunger coin denominated.

A construction worker looks up. He looks straight.
    He drops his hammer.

A man swallows the scene without touching his tongue for taste,
    and inhales vinegar soaked french fries.
    He gulps down the usual drink
    ordered with a the special for an extra 50 cents.

Another man holds his sandwich like breath.
    He will live as a lunchtime wanderer without means of escape.
    He will teach his son to throw baseballs at the sky.
    He will share stories with his granddaughter about this day’s noise.

I posted this in the poetry section a while ago. I was listening to Street Spirit and looking at the photograph at the same time.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    BeLaBeLa Posts: 25
    Id vote for Let Down, No Surprises and Paranoid Android - all off OK Computer.

Fake Plastic Trees off anything else.

u read my mind.....
  • Options
    BeLa wrote:
    u read my mind.....

Theyre from my home town too - which makes them even cooler.
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Radiohead are working on their new album. Can't wait to hear what they do next.

As for Tool, are they working on a new album? Can't wait to hear what they do next either.
  • Options
    BeLaBeLa Posts: 25
    Theyre from my home town too - which makes them even cooler.

that's awsome!!! have u ever met them in person???
  • Options
    I can think of more than one band better than them. I like Radiohead, but they arent near the genius of Zeppelin and the Beatles. Having said that, the active bands that are better are PJ, TOOL, SOAD, Black Crowes, Mars Volta, Rush, The Who, Velvet Revolver. All made up of better musicians and all do what they do better than Radiohead. Mars Volta, Tool, and Rush may be the tightest bands I have ever heard.
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I can think of more than one band better than them. I like Radiohead, but they arent near the genius of Zeppelin and the Beatles. Having said that, the active bands that are better are PJ, TOOL, SOAD, Black Crowes, Mars Volta, Rush, The Who, Velvet Revolver. All made up of better musicians and all do what they do better than Radiohead. Mars Volta, Tool, and Rush may be the tightest bands I have ever heard.

umm..no! RADIOHEAD KICKS ALL THOSE ASSES..other than pj's.. :D
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    I'm sorry but Velvet Revolver is not better than Radiohead, I usually respect peoples opinions but I'm sorry, Revolver is what everyone expected, GNR sound with Scott's vocals, Radiohead you never know what to expect, just like PJ, good thread they are the 2nd best band in my opinion
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Options
    AngusAngus Posts: 376
    People can like Velvet revolver more than Radiohead,
    but when people start calling VR better musicians than Radiohead,
    they are in need of a very good doctor. Because that is not an opinion, it's a clear lie.
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • Options
    I always just say Pearl Jam are the greatest American band going today and Radiohead the greatest British band going.
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    I always just say Pearl Jam are the greatest American band going today and Radiohead the greatest British band going.

yeah...i think with radiohead ull get very little disagreements. whereas pj, ppl might come in and say the white stripes or tool or all these other bands. in britain who do u have to challenge their excellency THE Radiohead? oasis? heh
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options

See "What's the Story(Mourning Glory)'
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    see "OK Computer"

see "Kid A"
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    If I were to be interested in getting into Radiohead where would be the best place the start? Or rather, what albums should I get first and what should I wait until the end to get?
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    Sonic19Sonic19 Posts: 159
    pj_zombie wrote:
    If I were to be interested in getting into Radiohead where would be the best place the start? Or rather, what albums should I get first and what should I wait until the end to get?
    Post above you seems about right...
    Stay positive and love your life
    Hooray Florida shows
  • Options
    HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    They got a new album in the works?
  • Options
    pj_zombie wrote:

I'd recommend getting 'The Bends' first - its easily their most accessable album - OK Computer's the best but a lot more progressive so best to start with the Bends - and it should get you hooked!!
  • Options
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    See "What's the Story(Mourning Glory)'

Im sorry to criticise but please no shouts for Oasis!! Liam Gallagher's a complete tosser and they're music is average at best.

I remember back in the early 90's all the Seattle bands were all over the radio and TV in England - by a mile the best musical era I've lived through and then when it all imploded the only type of guitar music you got to hear in England was shite like Oasis and Blur. They did my head in for half a decade - were where they belong at the Rock am Ring festival a few years ago............tucked away on the undercard whilst Pearl Jam headlined!!!
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    pj_zombie wrote:
    The Bends track 12
    or
    OK, Computer was hailed far and wide as genius. I have a few of their albums, but I always head straight for track 12 of the Bends.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    I can put on any Radiohead album and just let it play. I know many people sing the praises of "OK Computer" and "Kid A" but I've actually always been partial to "Pablo Honey". I just love that album! "The Bends" comes in as a close second for me because I love the songs "Just", "High And Dry" and "Fake Plastic Trees".

Plus, they are INCREDIBLE live, IMO. Just excellent! :)
    Forget your perfect offering, there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Angus wrote:
    People can like Velvet revolver more than Radiohead,
    but when people start calling VR better musicians than Radiohead,
    they are in need of a very good doctor. Because that is not an opinion, it's a clear lie.

slash can outplay anyone in radiohead while in a coma. and i dont even care for gnr or VR.

radiohead had promise, but they pissed it away. everything they've done since ok computer has been all but unlistenable. rather than becoming one of the greatest rock bands out there, they decided to go into electronica trash... so instead of excelling at either they make albums that are a half-assed effort at both. the whole electronica/rock thing is jsut as bad as the rap-rock crap we've got here. hail to the thief is the same song played over 13 tracks... a quiet intro with thom mumbling unintelligible gibberish before building to equally unintelligible screaming as the drums go faster at the end. stop. repeat.

they're all mood and ambience, with no decent songs. say what you will about oasis, at least they've got a few hooks and you know when track 1 ends and 2 begins.

it's a shame... the bends was one of the greatest albums of the 90s with ok computer not far behind. never has such a good band pissed away its talent so extravagantly. call me when yorke and the boys decide they're no longer too snooty and "innovative" to play guitar.
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    pj_zombie wrote:
    Probably "The Bends", great Brit-Rock album. I got OK Computer first and it set on my CD rack for a good year or 2 before I finally "got" it. Starting with The Bends makes sense, then OK Computer.

Their worst is by far Pablo Honey, stay away from that unless you are obsessed with the rest(there are some decent songs on it, but compared to the rest is is terrible).

Here would be my recommended order of Radiohead albums if you are just getting into them and enjoying each step: The Bends -- OK Computer -- Hail To the Theif -- Amnesiac -- Kid A
    Pablo Honey.

Kid A is simply amazing, but definitely not a good place to start.
  • Options
    Echo27Echo27 Posts: 57

That's a great way to look at it. If I had to choose who's better out of PJ or Radiohead, I'd say Radiohead...That was so hard for me to come to terms with since I've loved PJ for soooo long...I like your way better! I don't feel like I'm cheating on PJ any more!
    "I am disrespectful to dirt! Can you see that I am serious?"
  • Options
    slash can outplay anyone in radiohead while in a coma. and i dont even care for gnr or VR.

radiohead had promise, but they pissed it away. everything they've done since ok computer has been all but unlistenable. rather than becoming one of the greatest rock bands out there, they decided to go into electronica trash... so instead of excelling at either they make albums that are a half-assed effort at both. the whole electronica/rock thing is jsut as bad as the rap-rock crap we've got here. hail to the thief is the same song played over 13 tracks... a quiet intro with thom mumbling unintelligible gibberish before building to equally unintelligible screaming as the drums go faster at the end. stop. repeat.

they're all mood and ambience, with no decent songs. say what you will about oasis, at least they've got a few hooks and you know when track 1 ends and 2 begins.

it's a shame... the bends was one of the greatest albums of the 90s with ok computer not far behind. never has such a good band pissed away its talent so extravagantly. call me when yorke and the boys decide they're no longer too snooty and "innovative" to play guitar.

Not comparable.
    Slash has the stance of a rock star, he can pose and twiddle his strings impresssively, but Radiohead are true musicians. They perform as a group, not as individuals.

I'm not surprised you don't like Radiohead if you only require a band to have 'a few hooks' .. Radiohead aren't background noise listened to with half an ear, they require both ears and full concentration. I pity all those who can't appreciate the depth and intensity of Radiohead and sit listening to VR convinced it's music.

At least you said you don't care for VR and you do like Pearl Jam, so all is not lost ;)
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • Options
    EnigmaEnigma Posts: 59
    ...and Radiohead makes for great headphone music.
  • Options
    Echo27Echo27 Posts: 57

No, Slash can outwank anyone in radiohead...there is a difference. You probably really like McCready's guitar playing, where as in my opinion he's the worst PJ guitarist. It's a style thing. And Radiohead is still a rock band. God forbid anyone should tinker with the formula and use different instrumentation! Jonny Greenwood plays a synthesizer that looks like a freaking old timey switchboard, for Christ's sake! I don't know if you've ever seen them live, but if you haven't I'd suggest you do. They are amazing, and you'd be surprised at just how much guitar you'd hear. I know people who dislike radiohead will not be swayed, but to compare Slash's style of "musicianship" to theirs is just ridiculous, IMO.
    "I am disrespectful to dirt! Can you see that I am serious?"
  • Options
    pj_zombie wrote:

Stop by. I have a joint and the Radiohead catalouge handy.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • Options
    On the subject of guitar playing and Oasis...let me guess...a lot you think that Noel sucks at the guitar too .. right?