Options

All Hail Radiohead

2»

Comments

• Options
    Not comparable.
    Slash has the stance of a rock star, he can pose and twiddle his strings impresssively, but Radiohead are true musicians. They perform as a group, not as individuals.

I'm not surprised you don't like Radiohead if you only require a band to have 'a few hooks' .. Radiohead aren't background noise listened to with half an ear, they require both ears and full concentration. I pity all those who can't appreciate the depth and intensity of Radiohead and sit listening to VR convinced it's music.

At least you said you don't care for VR and you do like Pearl Jam, so all is not lost ;)

I do like Radiohead, and would absolutely love to see them live. The Bends and Pablo Honey are awesome. Ok Computer, Hail to the Thief, and Amnesiac are all very listenable as well. But to call Slash a wanker is ridiculous. He was in one of the biggest bands of all time, and say what you will about VR, but their style of music, that is a little more safe, makes it possible for bands like Radiohead, PJ, and hopefully themselves to branch out and try different stuff. Slash is a classic lead guitarist in every sense of the word. Go see VR in concert, and try to get close. The put on a rock and roll show. There are different types of rock and roll shows, but they do what they do even better than I imagined it could be. Most energy I have ever seen by a band on stage.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Echo27 wrote:
    No, Slash can outwank anyone in radiohead...there is a difference. You probably really like McCready's guitar playing, where as in my opinion he's the worst PJ guitarist. It's a style thing. And Radiohead is still a rock band. God forbid anyone should tinker with the formula and use different instrumentation! Jonny Greenwood plays a synthesizer that looks like a freaking old timey switchboard, for Christ's sake! I don't know if you've ever seen them live, but if you haven't I'd suggest you do. They are amazing, and you'd be surprised at just how much guitar you'd hear. I know people who dislike radiohead will not be swayed, but to compare Slash's style of "musicianship" to theirs is just ridiculous, IMO.

mccready's ok, but i like stone far better. dont know what that has to do with radiohead though.

rock'n'roll isn't rock'n'roll without a guitar. im sorry, but that's historical fact. it was born out of folk rockers who played... anyone... acoustic guitars! it was born out of blues musicians who played... anyone... guitars! it's the heart of rock'n'roll. once you jettison that for a synthesizer (and dont even get me started on the laughable thought of "playing" a synthesizer... you program or fiddle with it, it's not an instrument it's a computer) you're playing electronica or trance or techno or whatever piece of crap term you want to use for it. but it isn't rock.

maybe hearing them live would change my mind on that. but all i know is in the last 3 albums there was barely a guitar chord to be heard and i dont like it. so sue me. ive nothing against experimentation. listen to wilco, they can incorporate those things and push boundaries without annihalating their roots and sucking. but the fact remains, i dont hear any "songs" from radiohead anymore, just noise.

maybe im not listening hard enough, but i dont listen to music to make my mind explode. i listen for things that sound good and inspire me. music is emotional for me, not intellectual.
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I do like Radiohead, and would absolutely love to see them live. The Bends and Pablo Honey are awesome. Ok Computer, Hail to the Thief, and Amnesiac are all very listenable as well. But to call Slash a wanker is ridiculous. He was in one of the biggest bands of all time, and say what you will about VR, but their style of music, that is a little more safe, makes it possible for bands like Radiohead, PJ, and hopefully themselves to branch out and try different stuff. Slash is a classic lead guitarist in every sense of the word. Go see VR in concert, and try to get close. The put on a rock and roll show. There are different types of rock and roll shows, but they do what they do even better than I imagined it could be. Most energy I have ever seen by a band on stage.

Did I call Slash a wanker???
    I do apologise on behalf of Echo27 ;)

Anyway, isn't this digressing from the purpose of this thread
    All Hail Radiohead !!!

:D
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • Options
    CM1847 wrote:
    Probably "The Bends", great Brit-Rock album. I got OK Computer first and it set on my CD rack for a good year or 2 before I finally "got" it. Starting with The Bends makes sense, then OK Computer.

Their worst is by far Pablo Honey, stay away from that unless you are obsessed with the rest(there are some decent songs on it, but compared to the rest is is terrible).

Here would be my recommended order of Radiohead albums if you are just getting into them and enjoying each step: The Bends -- OK Computer -- Hail To the Theif -- Amnesiac -- Kid A
    Pablo Honey.

Kid A is simply amazing, but definitely not a good place to start.

Thanks, I'll start getting into them probably next year and I'll start with your list as a guideline.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options

All Hail Radiohead !!!

Fine. Radiohead is good.
  • Options
    Echo27Echo27 Posts: 57
    mccready's ok, but i like stone far better. dont know what that has to do with radiohead though.

rock'n'roll isn't rock'n'roll without a guitar. im sorry, but that's historical fact. it was born out of folk rockers who played... anyone... acoustic guitars! it was born out of blues musicians who played... anyone... guitars! it's the heart of rock'n'roll. once you jettison that for a synthesizer (and dont even get me started on the laughable thought of "playing" a synthesizer... you program or fiddle with it, it's not an instrument it's a computer) you're playing electronica or trance or techno or whatever piece of crap term you want to use for it. but it isn't rock.

maybe hearing them live would change my mind on that. but all i know is in the last 3 albums there was barely a guitar chord to be heard and i dont like it. so sue me. ive nothing against experimentation. listen to wilco, they can incorporate those things and push boundaries without annihalating their roots and sucking. but the fact remains, i dont hear any "songs" from radiohead anymore, just noise.

maybe im not listening hard enough, but i dont listen to music to make my mind explode. i listen for things that sound good and inspire me. music is emotional for me, not intellectual.

I don't know what to tell you, because I hear guitars! And I know I see them on stage! A lot of times they might be distorted, or run backwards, but they're there...And before you say that that's not rock music, I refer you to the Beatles who did a lot of that shit. They are arguably the grandfathers of rock and roll.

And this is why I brought up the PJ guitar players. I just think we get off on different aspects of music. To some people McCready is their dream. I hear people cheering his wanky solos at shows and I feel like an alien. I just hate it. He is absolutely my least favorite thing about PJ (I think he seems like a nice guy though). However, I'm transfixed by the things Jonny does (when he's not playing a toaster oven or something!).

Music is incredibly emotional to me...Radiohead especially. Amnesiac is probably my fave now. I can't imagine not being emotionally effected by them, but potato, potahto...One man's Radiohead is another man's Velvet Revolver...I TOTALLY think seeing them live would change your mind. I always thought they were good, but I wondered how they could pull that shit off live. Well, they do, and it's better than anything they've ever put down on tape.
    "I am disrespectful to dirt! Can you see that I am serious?"
  • Options
    Echo27Echo27 Posts: 57

All Hail Radiohead !!!

No, I called him a wanker, and I stand behind it. I should clarify and say that I didn't mean wanker in the british sense, but in the overly-cheesy Joe Satriani-like guitar masturbating way. That's okay, if Slash wants to he can come beat me up with his giant hat.
    "I am disrespectful to dirt! Can you see that I am serious?"
  • Options
    AngusAngus Posts: 376
    Jonny Greenwood does things with his guitar that Slash can't even dream of.

Oh, and I saw VR this year. It was probably the worst concert I've seen all year.
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • Options
    I have heard that VR can be hit or miss but hit usually. Not defending them, b/c I think if a band is gettin paid so much cash they should sound good and perform their songs well. The next time Radiohead plays at the Savvis Center I plan on goin. They seem like they would be a better indoor band, but they could translate well outdoors too as well. Though, I would have to hit Indy for the outdoor show. I will most likely pick up their new album. Hail to the Thief is great to listen to and partake in a little bit of mean green. Although I don't count on it, I hope that VR evolves some for their next record. I think they need to put some cajones into their sound. Take the polish off the first record and it would be alot better. And I love a good guitar solo as much as the next guy, but there are times where they arent needed
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    HYLA wrote:
    They got a new album in the works?

yup, here's the link to their own blog.

http://www.radiohead.com/deadairspace/index.php?a=93

there used to be some pics of them in the studio, especially pEDals

radiohead fuckin rocks live. even if jonny uses technology like the korg kaos pad he does things w/ it far beyond normal use. jonny is just a fuckin genius, pure and simple.
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    i personally like the bends and pablo honey better than ok computer they have so many great songs on both, i mean i love paranoid andriod, but high and dry is a great song and fake plastic trees, did anyone know that there realeasing a new cd, but on there own, there done with there contract
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    did anyone know that there realeasing a new cd, but on there own, there done with there contract

Yeah, that's a popular topic right now. They finished up their Capitol Record contract and haven't signed with anybody else yet(a situation similar to PJ if I'm correct that they haven't signed a new contract either). There was a big fuss when Johnny and Ed(I think it was them two, maybe Johnny and Phil? Johnny and Colin? i don't really know) were getting sued over some song they made under some fake band name that turned out to be a real band name or something. I don't know, I didn't follow the story closely, but the deal was they might get sued for a decent amount of money and hurt the band's ability to put out the new album on their own dime.

but they the suit was thrown out by the courts(in canada I believe?), so my whole story was pointless.

I still don't think they have officially said whether or not they will be putting it out themselves or finding a record contract before it is released. They are already paying for all of the recordings themselves, I would assume they would just go ahead and finish off the deal by distributing themselves and get 100% of the profits, but who knows.
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    CM1847 wrote:
    Yeah, that's a popular topic right now. They finished up their Capitol Record contract and haven't signed with anybody else yet(a situation similar to PJ if I'm correct that they haven't signed a new contract either). There was a big fuss when Johnny and Ed(I think it was them two, maybe Johnny and Phil? Johnny and Colin? i don't really know) were getting sued over some song they made under some fake band name that turned out to be a real band name or something. I don't know, I didn't follow the story closely, but the deal was they might get sued for a decent amount of money and hurt the band's ability to put out the new album on their own dime.

but they the suit was thrown out by the courts(in canada I believe?), so my whole story was pointless.

I still don't think they have officially said whether or not they will be putting it out themselves or finding a record contract before it is released. They are already paying for all of the recordings themselves, I would assume they would just go ahead and finish off the deal by distributing themselves and get 100% of the profits, but who knows.

thom mentions on their blog that hail to the thief and their new dvd, the most gigantic lying mout of all time, were...fuck forgot, go look thru the blog, something about them being marketing/distribution tests that didn't go too well and thom lost some confidence
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way