Options

Music Consumption!

pearljam_addictionpearljam_addiction Posts: 668
edited March 2006 in Other Music
A few years ago, i wasnt the huge music consumer that i am now. i would buy a cd every so often, usually from bands i was already familiar with. but then something snapped in me
i became completely crazed with music. i think it all has to do with the uncontrollable feeling that i am missing something.
before i would never buy a cd because it got a good review in a mag, or because someone recommended it, or because i heard one song from it , or because it was similar to another artist(s) i liked, or because it was a style/ genre i liked.
before it took alot for me to purchase a cd. im not sure if it was because of budget concerns or becuase i onyl stuck with a few bands. i wasnt adventurous.
in the past 4 years i have bought roughly over 1000 cds. now i go and search for music. i dont stop until i find what i like and then i expand on what i like. all because of fear that the band i pass over could be The Band that will change my life or THE ALBUM that contains a song that will bring my life full circle

i am currently lsitening to Sufjan Stevens, and i am just thinking that if i stayed on the same track of years before, there would be SO MUCH music that i would have let pass by and never ever know the greatness and wonder of these bands and artists, becasue back then i would have never gave the light of day to someone or band i never heard of or heard a song on the radio from them.

so my main point is , KEEP THE MUSIC AND RECOMMENDATIONS FLOWING!!! :d
"I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    this site is for you then my brotha...

http://www.pandora.com/
    rock chalk
  • Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    i used to be the other way around.

in the past i bought everything that i could (all the rockers that i like or liked along with the popier stuff like puffy daddy, aqua, chumbawamba, all saints, etc...)

later i cooled those impulses off and now i try to evaluate if the artist is someone who i mighty want to listen for years to come.

and for a recommendation, my latest 'discover' was 'architecture in helsink'.

try the 'in case we die' album. good stuff there.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    Yeah, I'm the same way. I used to just get maybe 4-5 albums a year and only whatever was on the radio. Last year something just snapped that I bought at least 20 CD"s and started expanding my horizons. I originally stayed away from any music before 1990 but I've been trying to change that. I recently started picking up some Led Zeppelin stuff (as well as finally checkingout Radiohead).
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I have bought like 60 CDs in the last 6 months. They are so good to listen to.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    lumpyfredlumpyfred Posts: 243
    jhawk98 wrote:
    this site is for you then my brotha...

http://www.pandora.com/

Just a quick thank you for the link. Never checked it out before but a lotta good is gonna come out of this.
    Her?
  • Options
    alobaralobar Posts: 310
    I'm in San Francisco right now, so I always get excited to buy a few new cd's at Amoeba Music. I'm looking to get some more obscure stuf since their selection is so vast. But I really want to get the Drones album, maybe an Olivia Tremor Control disc, a Super Furry Animals disc, and maybe some good roots/dub reggae.

Any obscure suggestions?
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • Options
    I usually buy one or two new cd's a week. But I love nothing better than spending a morning trawling through the used cd's and vinyl at a store near home. It's amazing what some people trade or sell. Have found some gems.