"Tin Soldiers & Nixon Coming" - 36yrs ago today on May 4, 1970

KricketKricket Posts: 707
edited May 2006 in Other Music
The Four Dead in Ohio

Allison Krause - Age: 19, 110 Yards
William Schroeder - Age: 19, 130 Yards
Jeffrey Miller - Age: 20, 90 Yards
Sandra Scheuer - Age: 20, 130 Yards

Thirty six years ago, on May 4, 1970, an anti-war student demonstration at Kent State University, Ohio left four students dead, one paralyzed, and eight others wounded.

The demonstration ended when the National Guard fired into the crowd of students. The shootings ended the lives of four students Jeffrey Miller, Allison Krause, William Schroeder, and Sandra Scheuer.

Shortly thereafter, Neil Young wrote what would become an anthem of a generation -- the song "Ohio" in memory of the "Four dead in Ohio".

Over the years, Thrasher's Wheat has received more mail and comments on this song than almost any other Young song. Comments like this from Jodi:

"I just would like to say that I am a 23 old student and I am doing a speech on CSNY during the protest era, mainly the song 'Ohio'. I would have to say that this song has touched me and it has become one of my favorite songs. It is tragic what happened to the students, especially when I read two of those who died were just walking to their next class. This song puts me in a time I was never in and I apprecitate the music as well as the students."

The song "Ohio" was an anthem to a generation in the 1970's. Here's how Neil remembers the song from liner notes of the Decade album:

"It's still hard to believe I had to write this song. It's ironic that I capitalized on the death of these American students. Probably the most important lesson ever learned at an American place of learning. David Crosby cried after this take."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    darkgreendarkgreen Posts: 57
    Thanks for that, Kricket. "Ohio" has always been one of my favorites, it's an amazing song.
  • Options
    darkgreen wrote:
    Thanks for that, Kricket. "Ohio" has always been one of my favorites, it's an amazing song.
    No problem :)
  • Options
    thanks for sharing that kricket.
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    it's so sad...most of the ppl who died weren't even involved in the protest, just on their way to their next class :(

i saw some documentary a few years ago about protests during that time and it had a clip of one of the girls parents speaking out about it and it just tore me to pieces seeing and hearing the pain they had :'(
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    it's so sad...most of the ppl who died weren't even involved in the protest, just on their way to their next class :(

i saw some documentary a few years ago about protests during that time and it had a clip of one of the girls parents speaking out about it and it just tore me to pieces seeing and hearing the pain they had :'(

Yah it's sad any way that you look at it ....but that they were just on their way to class and not in the protest is really sad. The fact that they shot at students is sick.