Options

2006 Juno Awards in Halifax...Coldplay?!?!

mookie blaylock 10mookie blaylock 10 Posts: 4,042
edited January 2006 in Other Music
so this year's juno awards are in halifax, NS...and the performers are starting to be announced.

coldplay has just been added to the list of performers for this years show! i'm not a big fan, but it certainly is a coup for the juno's. nominations aren't announced until feb. 15th, but i guess it's safe to say that coldplay will be nominated for best international artist.

nickelback is also slated to perform, unfortunately.

there were rumours circulating that after last year's junos in winnipeg that neil young said he would make up for not appearing at the awards by playing the 2006 junos. could we be blessed with a performance by neil?!?! he was recovering from surgery at the time and watched the junos in NYC. kd lang did a haunting rendition of "helpless" and dedicated it to neil and his speedy recovery.

i can only hope that the rumours are true and that neil makes his return to the junos here!

i'm also hoping to see some local performances from wintersleep and matt mays & el torpedo...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    I like the fact that the Junos go to different cities for the people who appreciate music to enjoy. Coldplay is a big deal for those awards and if Neil shows up, well you will have yourself a super party.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    I like the fact that the Junos go to different cities for the people who appreciate music to enjoy. Coldplay is a big deal for those awards and if Neil shows up, well you will have yourself a super party.

i will lose my mind if neil shows! for halifax, coldplay is a pretty big deal, and as you said, for the junos too. i think winnipeg sold out in 16 mins, so this one will be a tough ticket to get indeed.
  • Options
    lezcufflezcuff Posts: 46
    when the junos were in St. John's, you couldn't get a ticket for love nor money. well, at least not for money.

Dance and Sing along with Shed Devils at http://www.sheddevils.com/
  • Options
    lezcuff wrote:
    when the junos were in St. John's, you couldn't get a ticket for love nor money. well, at least not for money.

i may have to try the old "press pass" route...no doubt it will be next to impossible to get a ticket. either that, or hope that i run into matt mays or one of the guys from el torpedo to see if they have complimentary tickets that they can spare...grasping at straws here for now just in case neil is on the list of performers :)
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Sloan?????
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    haven't heard anything about sloan yet. they would make sense though.
  • Options
    mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    I guess it will be a while until we hear about the other performers then. I'm hoping Metric, Stars or the Arcade Fire will be there as well. And Sloan would be so sweet. Haha, and it would be asking too much for the Hip to be there, hmmm wishful thinking. :rolleyes:

Mookie, you must be so excited. It's in Halifax this time around! I'm really crossing my fingers for NEIL of course!!!

Let's all hope so!
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • Options
    yeah, the hip played last year in winnipeg, so i doubt they make it two in a row, unfortunately...but you never know...one can dream...
  • Options
    Oh yeah...I forgot that the Hip were at the Junos last year. Damn. :)

I'm not too crazy about Coldplay...but yes for sure it's gonna be a HUGE thing for the Junos this year. Especially for Halifax itself or the East Coast. (I don't know if Coldplay toured the East Coast before.)

I wouldn't mind seeing Our Lady Peace perform either.
  • Options
    Bedouin Soundclash and Broken Social Scene has been added to the list of performers at the 2006 Juno Awards.

Source: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060215/junos_lineup_060215/20060215?s_name=junos2006&no_ads=

They also announced the nominees yesterday...

Source:
    http://www.junoawards.ca/06_2006_nominees.php
    http://www.junoawards.ca/PDF/06_nom2006.pdf

Neil gets 3 noms!

Songwriter of the Year (The Painter, When God Made Me, Prairie Wind)
    Adult Alternative Album of the Year
    Producer of the Year (The Painter)

Also good to see Kathleen Edwards nominated, The Hip(for their dvd), Broken Social Scene, Metric, Blue Rodeo...
  • Options
    I lost all faith in the canadien music industry when I saw that Nickelback leads the Junos in nominations.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln