Options

Canada does not end at Quebec!!!!

swardsward Posts: 586
edited April 2006 in Other Music
I'm not even sure where to put this..but I was just looking at Red Hot Chilli Peppers and again.....dates across Canada and stopping in Quebec City. C'mon...check Halifax out for F@%@ sakes.

I understand that there isn't a major city on the way to here (12 hour drive) from that point..but cmon....having the Rolling Stones in Moncton last year (80,000 people showed up) and PEarl Jam coming thru Halifax (sell out very fast) was a great boon and showed we will show up for quality. We have been seeing an increase in bands coming thru..but it really sucks to see some of these shows bypass us.

Coldplay was just here for the Juno's and I hear through the grapevine that they were really impressed with the crowd and fans here...and surprised since they didn't know we existed. Well..I think that speaks to the marketing job we are doing.....which sounds like nothing. So..it's as much our (Maritimes) fault as it is the band's management I am sure.

Ok..Im rambling now..but give us a chance!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
    go back at your fishing boats camarade (:

.. :P
    -"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    yo man sorry for your troubles

but thanks for giving me some good news today, woo chilis
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I feel for you man. Saskatchewan gets gipped fairly often but we got lucky last year with PJ and this year with RHCP. Here's the kicker, we don't always sell out either. I hope Halifax gets more shows, it certainly deserves them.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    McCready00 wrote:
    go back at your fishing boats camarade (:

.. :P

Gotta finish tearing down my igloo first ;-)
  • Options
    seriously, i'll probably go back to the maritimes for the summer.. I had great time there last year in Moncton. But we had some trips to PEI and halifax, where we've met great people too.

Don't forget man.... When you get the Stones, you get a name! The bands now know that you're on the map.. It was the same thing for Québec City over the past years, and it's only since 3-4 years that they often get big names.
  • Options
    McCready00 wrote:
    seriously, i'll probably go back to the maritimes for the summer.. I had great time there last year in Moncton. But we had some trips to PEI and halifax, where we've met great people too.

Don't forget man.... When you get the Stones, you get a name! The bands now know that you're on the map.. It was the same thing for Québec City over the past years, and it's only since 3-4 years that they often get big names.

Great points..and hopefully that will be the case. Moncton is planning another concert on the hill like they had last year (maybe not as extravagant)..but we are holding out hope for some cool names.
  • Options
    sward wrote:
    Great points..and hopefully that will be the case. Moncton is planning another concert on the hill like they had last year (maybe not as extravagant)..but we are holding out hope for some cool names.

I worked for that show, that was intense.. just to talk with the old Stones' roadies, that was great...

You should get something big for July from what I heard.. The biggest rumour is u2 for the moment.
  • Options
    murph83murph83 Posts: 122
    I feel your pain man! I still think you folks in Halifax are way better off then us here on the rock, and not just in terms of music, I still hear Canada refered to Vancouver to Halifax. Apparently some folks still aren't up on their Canadian geography.
    We get the big Canadian acts every now and then. Well not always, I was pretty upset that Matt Good didn't visit here on his acoustic tour. I've heard rumours of RHCP coming here, but I guess not now that the cities have been announced.
    I do understand that we are pretty far away from the rest of the continent and driving here is not a very favorable option but we certainly can sell out big shows, we proved it by selling out PJ two nights in a row.
  • Options
    murph83 wrote:
    I feel your pain man! I still think you folks in Halifax are way better off then us here on the rock, and not just in terms of music, I still hear Canada refered to Vancouver to Halifax. Apparently some folks still aren't up on their Canadian geography.
    We get the big Canadian acts every now and then. Well not always, I was pretty upset that Matt Good didn't visit here on his acoustic tour. I've heard rumours of RHCP coming here, but I guess not now that the cities have been announced.
    I do understand that we are pretty far away from the rest of the continent and driving here is not a very favorable option but we certainly can sell out big shows, we proved it by selling out PJ two nights in a row.

If there's anyone who can understand..it's the people of NFLD. It's funny...cause I guarantee that most bands who come through here or there would be in for a good time ;-)
  • Options
    murph83murph83 Posts: 122
    sward wrote:
    If there's anyone who can understand..it's the people of NFLD. It's funny...cause I guarantee that most bands who come through here or there would be in for a good time ;-)

yes, there is no doubt about having a good time in St. John's. I've never been to Halifax but from what i hear it's a fun place! I tryed to make there it for PJ last Sept. but funds were too low. I hope to make it there after next year when I finish university.
  • Options
    Halifax should get more major shows, but i guess you guys need a good (and rich) promoters, maybe you should start something :)
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Halifax should get more major shows, but i guess you guys need a good (and rich) promoters, maybe you should start something :)

Yeah..there's that whole rich part that I can't quite get a grip on! ;-)

I suppose responding to this thread whilst I work is a good indication why I haven't 'gripped' it yet.

I think that Halifax should invest in a state of the art sound/lights system and have it situated permanently at our arena with a crew on hand to set up and tear down....then bands that are on their way to Europe can stop here...play a show while their sound/light equipment makes the trip over...that way, all they have to worry about are the music instruments and techs to be here and fly it/them over to Europe after the show.

Make a little money before the hop the ocean ;-) hahah
  • Options
    di_jammerdi_jammer Posts: 12
    ya im moving to hali in sept, and praying that all the concerts will make it over there!

on another note, u ppl from halifax, ever listen to Wintersleep? theyre great i just saw them in a small club here in Van, and they rocked the place!
    saw things so much clearer, once you were in my rearviewmirror
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Love that Halifax, man...........flew up from Alabama to the fair city for the PJ show last year. Fell in love with all of the province that I got to visit while there. I hope you get PJ again......that would be another reason to visit, like we really need a reason....
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    I completly understand, the number of roadtrips i've made over the years for shows is un-real (not just p/j)

my island isnt even listed on some maps!!
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    C-a-n-a-d-EH

Canada ends with an EH!,
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    I heard rumors of the Peppers coming to NFLD to, but i never thought it would happen, guess i was right. I don't see why they wouldnt though, im sure they could sell out two nights here to. Oh well at least PJ payed us a visit.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    di_jammer wrote:
    ya im moving to hali in sept, and praying that all the concerts will make it over there!

on another note, u ppl from halifax, ever listen to Wintersleep? theyre great i just saw them in a small club here in Van, and they rocked the place!

Wintersleep is from Halifax, thats not to saw everyone's heard of them.

Halifax was on a roll, PJ last fall, Motley Crue, Coldplay at Junos, Alice Cooper, INXS.. there's nothing announced for after May 12th yet.. hasn't been a big concert on Citadel Hill for a while, used to get every other summer or so.
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    di_jammerdi_jammer Posts: 12
    ya i know theyre from halifax, hahah that's why i mentioned it. they played with contrived, it was good.
    saw things so much clearer, once you were in my rearviewmirror
  • Options
    Wintersleep is very good. I think everyone who caught them with PJ in Newfoundland were impressed. I hear PJ was...so that's cool ;-)

At least Pearl Jam knows Canada goes from Vancouver to NFLD. Hahha