Options

my generation - musical definition

edited April 2006 in Other Music
while the early 90's had grunge, 80's hair metal and so on i dont know if theres a sound to the current generation right now. i dont listen to most mainstream so im guessing its something like fiddy cent or ashlee simpson . . but who knows. i wish i had some movement to identify with like most of you had pj in your teens and 20's. why did i have to be born in 91???!
so back to my question, does anyone have any idea the word or band that comes to mind when you think of the current teens - 20's generation?
An ounce of deception
Kills a pound of pain
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    im only a year older than you and i too am lost for a generational sound...it seems were full of pretentious, generic "rock" bands and rap and it's quite disappointing
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    why define your listening by a 'generational' sound?

That's stupid
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    i agree with why bother trying to define a generational sound. just listen to the shit you enjoy. don't be so worried over labels...they don't mean shit. if you're really searching for something different from the mainstream, you're gonna have to look hard. check out bands like Nine Black Alps, The Longcut, Margot and the Nuclear So and So's, Black Mountain, Band of Horses, etc. if you're looking for newer bands that are under the radar.
    Live Free or Die!
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    As on old person, I would have to say the problem you have is that music is very fragmented today. In our day, there was rock, then maybe add in British invasion or psychedelic, then metal or hair or garage, then grunge. But they were all basically rock. Add to that, there were very few radio stations to listen to. Now, with rap, emo, etc. plus all the former, plus all the satellite stations available , it's all over the place. It's positive and negative. There is definitely more to listen to, but harder to find what is good to listen to imo. You really have to search for what you like. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I agree there is no generational music. It's kinda like when Henry Rollins said that the Uk had a music scene it just didn't have any music.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"