Options

Jam Bands

CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
edited January 2006 in Other Music
PJ is the obvious, but any others that you've seen beak into a 22 minute version of a 4 minute song? 1st one that come to mind, Allman Brothers.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    CServant wrote:
    PJ is the obvious, but any others that you've seen beak into a 22 minute version of a 4 minute song? 1st one that come to mind, Allman Brothers.

phish
    (ive seen them a couple times and they can just play the same song forever!)
    marshall tucker band
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • Options
    CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    I forgot a BIG one, how 'bout DMB?!
    I do love the Phish reply though...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • Options
    BUFFALOBUFFALO Posts: 760
    shit back in the 70s jammin was very common.....
    now everyhting is made for radio=$
    the allman brothers kick ass ,i seen them a few times ....i was lucky enough to see derik trucks ,hes been playin with the brothers on there summer tours ...they dont tour in the winter so hes got his own band ...i saw him at this small bar in the finger lakes ....wow if you guys like mr slow hand himself ,you will love this kid ...he works that Gtar like i have never saw...he goes into a zone an just jams ...eyes closed most of the time ...he does slide to which is pretty wild.....
    Buffalo 96,Barrie 98,Tampa 00,Orlando HOB 03,Buffalo 03,London 05,Hamilton 05 ,Toronto 06,
    MSG 2 08, Buffalo 10, Hamilton 11

Grateful Dead (and assorted offshoots)
    Robert Randolph & The Family Band

I don't know that I'd include PJ in the jam band camp though. They've got songs that they stretch out on, but only certain songs, and in certain places.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    BUFFALO wrote:
    shit back in the 70s jammin was very common.....
    now everyhting is made for radio=$
    the allman brothers kick ass ,i seen them a few times ....i was lucky enough to see derik trucks ,hes been playin with the brothers on there summer tours ...they dont tour in the winter so hes got his own band ...i saw him at this small bar in the finger lakes ....wow if you guys like mr slow hand himself ,you will love this kid ...he works that Gtar like i have never saw...he goes into a zone an just jams ...eyes closed most of the time ...he does slide to which is pretty wild.....
    speaking of allman, dickie betts played out at a small bar near where i live a couple months ago, tried to charge an insane amount to get in, which is probably one of the reasons it certainly wasnt a sell-out...its kinda sad that hes ended up playing bars that mostly house cover bands for 20-somethings....
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:
    Grateful Dead (and assorted offshoots)
    Robert Randolph & The Family Band

I don't know that I'd include PJ in the jam band camp though. They've got songs that they stretch out on, but only certain songs, and in certain places.

yeah i agree with that ,i wouldnt put them in that category either
    Buffalo 96,Barrie 98,Tampa 00,Orlando HOB 03,Buffalo 03,London 05,Hamilton 05 ,Toronto 06,

Phish
    Grateful Dead
    Dave Matthews Band
    Allman Brothers Band
    Widespread Panic
    The Black Crowes
    Robert Randolph & the Family Band
    Little Feat
    String Cheese Incident
    moe.
    Umphrey's McGee
    John Butler Trio
    Bela Fleck & the Flecktones

Those are the bigger ones.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    PJ is not a jam band. I dunno that I'd call DMB a jam band either. Sure, they extend their songs, often 15min+, but they're largely the same every night in the sense that they don't really explore new territory with those songs, whereas with Phish and the Dead and their ilk, you could hear one song one night with a lengthy 30min jam and the next time you hear it, the jam is completely different.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Gov't Mule really jam stuff out and do tons of covers. I once seen a list of songs they have played live, and there were close to a thousand songs.
    The Allman's are the quintessential jam band
    Back in the day everybody jammed. Zeppelin jams are among my favorite.
  • Options
    thatgirl wrote:
    speaking of allman, dickie betts played out at a small bar near where i live a couple months ago, tried to charge an insane amount to get in, which is probably one of the reasons it certainly wasnt a sell-out...its kinda sad that hes ended up playing bars that mostly house cover bands for 20-somethings....

yeah that is pretty sad .........its sad....i know here in buffalo we get some old time rockers from the 80s....the hair bands ..you know...which i am sure that everyone does .....my brotherinlaw went to one of them...i forget who it was singing,but they had to cancel,due to knowone showing up...i think i would have to consider just hanging it up ....stop embarassing yourself

AndySlash wrote:
    PJ is not a jam band. I dunno that I'd call DMB a jam band either. Sure, they extend their songs, often 15min+, but they're largely the same every night in the sense that they don't really explore new territory with those songs, whereas with Phish and the Dead and their ilk, you could hear one song one night with a lengthy 30min jam and the next time you hear it, the jam is completely different.

Good points. The Grateful Dead was the ultimate jam band and will forever be the best one.
  • Options
    pjbugs007pjbugs007 Posts: 1,099
    Ymsb:) :):)
  • Options
    Widespread Panic
    Moe
    OAR
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    oktacoma wrote:
    Good points. The Grateful Dead was the ultimate jam band and will forever be the best one.

I much prefer Phish. Something about the Dead never clicked with me, and I gave them more than enough shots to impress me. I fully, fully respect them and what they did and stood for, but give me Phish's intensity any day.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    yeah the allmans were awesome last summer! they jammed out, 20 min for every song-it was great

i love the black crowes and saw them 2x this year and the last time it was an indoor venue, they were jammin' hard core, but i wasn't too pleased. don't get me wrong, they were awesome, but each song was the same type of jam, the interlude would build up then go back down then build up again then they would finish the song, if i were running the show i'd have lead into another song, keep the audience on their toes
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    BinFrog wrote:
    I much prefer Phish. Something about the Dead never clicked with me, and I gave them more than enough shots to impress me. I fully, fully respect them and what they did and stood for, but give me Phish's intensity any day.

I'm the total opposite. I think Billy Breathes is a great album, but I never got Phish. Admittedly, Phish could play anything, but their lyrics have always set me off. The Dead got very lucky having Robert Hunter and John Barlow write some amazing lyrics.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    VONVON Posts: 259
    RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS !

Most awsome phychadelic jams ever. :D
  • Options
    cccrankcccrank Posts: 18
    BinFrog wrote:

I agree. As legendary as Grateful Dead is, I think Phish is better talent-wise. And I enjoy listening to them better.

And I must say DMB is somewhat of a jam band. There's a little too much structure to be a legitimate jam band. They have their "jams" structured, but the actual notes are improvised. However, these jams do evolve over the years as they become more comfortable with the music and can do more exploration.
    “He's mythological to me, like Zeus or Thor. I don't want to dispel all the myths and mysteries that surround some of his stuff, which I think is just absolutely phenomenal, inspiring and righteous.”

-Ryan Adams on Bob Dylan
  • Options
    SteveoSteveo Posts: 352
    Grateful Dead > Phish
    to each his own
    Life has nothing to do with killing time.
    So why be satisfied?
  • Options
    moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 536
    lol, there's no way i'd include pearl jam in the jam band category. as far as jam bands that i dig, here's a few:

moe. (obviously, i'll be seeing them for the 38th time on 1/22)
    robert randolph & the family band (fucking amazing live)
    yonder mountain string band
    gov't mule
    widespread panic
    string cheese incident
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • Options
    Disco Biscuits

Also, I consider The Mars Volta to be jam bandish.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    merkinball wrote:
    I'm the total opposite. I think Billy Breathes is a great album, but I never got Phish. Admittedly, Phish could play anything, but their lyrics have always set me off. The Dead got very lucky having Robert Hunter and John Barlow write some amazing lyrics.

Yeah I think we have vastly different opinions. Billy Breathes is ok in my opinion, but give me Junta, Lawn Boy, Nectar, Rift or Hoist any day over it.

The thing with Phish's lyrics (which got less and less abstract and weird as they got older) is that you just gotta go with it. They were not trying to write the next "A Day In The Life" or "Comfortably Numb". They (and Tom Marshall) were all about word association, imagery, and nonsensical oddities. Sure some of their early stuff was somewhat cohesive, but not a lot of it. That's why I like them. There's no preaching, deep thoughts or deepness to their early material. It was just fun music and fodder for the best rock/jazz jamming to come out of the past 20 years.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    You want jam bands?

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/

There you go. Jam bands.
  • Options
    My boyfriend is a big Widespread fan. I got him a dvd for Christmas and they are pretty good. I think I could get into them!
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    Yeah I think we have vastly different opinions. Billy Breathes is ok in my opinion, but give me Junta, Lawn Boy, Nectar, Rift or Hoist any day over it.

The thing with Phish's lyrics (which got less and less abstract and weird as they got older) is that you just gotta go with it. They were not trying to write the next "A Day In The Life" or "Comfortably Numb". They (and Tom Marshall) were all about word association, imagery, and nonsensical oddities. Sure some of their early stuff was somewhat cohesive, but not a lot of it. That's why I like them. There's no preaching, deep thoughts or deepness to their early material. It was just fun music and fodder for the best rock/jazz jamming to come out of the past 20 years.

Yeah I mean in all seriousness is "extoskeletal junction at the railroad delayed" THAT meaningful. Phish was the first and best show I've ever seen.
  • Options
    cookie5798 wrote:
    My boyfriend is a big Widespread fan. I got him a dvd for Christmas and they are pretty good. I think I could get into them!

IMO, Widespread Panic is one of the top jam bands in the country. They can rip a song out in a few minutes or they can jam as long and as good as the best of them! I saw them for New Year's in Atlanta (for the third time), a two night show, and WOW! It was the best I have seen them play in years, ever since the original guitarist (Michael Houser) passed away. When we was playing with them, they were almost untouchable!
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Options
    cccrankcccrank Posts: 18
    BinFrog wrote:

Agreed. Billy Breathes is a pretty solid album to listen to, but if you're going for the Phish sound, those other ones are definitely the right places to look. I really love Story of the Ghost too.
    “He's mythological to me, like Zeus or Thor. I don't want to dispel all the myths and mysteries that surround some of his stuff, which I think is just absolutely phenomenal, inspiring and righteous.”

-Ryan Adams on Bob Dylan
  • Options
    imspinninimspinnin Posts: 933
    Ha ha..Allman Bro's #1...all the way, God I saw them a couple of years ago, I swear they f*ckin' played 4 songs in 2 hours!!! I remember a thousand drum solos...ugh!!!
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
  • Options
    imspinninimspinnin Posts: 933
    drew0 wrote:
    Phish
    Grateful Dead
    Dave Matthews Band
    Allman Brothers Band
    Widespread Panic
    The Black Crowes
    Robert Randolph & the Family Band
    Little Feat
    String Cheese Incident
    moe.
    Umphrey's McGee
    John Butler Trio
    Bela Fleck & the Flecktones

Those are the bigger ones.
    hey I've seen Little Feat...never thougth I would see that here in the pit...Peace Out!!
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
  • Options
    moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 536
    BinFrog wrote:

love junta. some great music on those discs.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton