Options

Ben Harper - Both Sides of the Gun

tremorsinmytreetremorsinmytree Posts: 57
edited April 2006 in Other Music
I've been listening to Ben for over 10 years now and I can't really get into his new album, it just seems so monotone just like one big long song that goes nowhere. There is some great songs but overall I think he should have put out 1 album with 12 songs or so, actually the bonus disc w/ the alternate mixes is pretty decent. thoughts anyone?
"I'll be hanging upside down, and there I will swing, for all e.........tern.............ni..............ty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    It should have been one album, no doubt about that, it would have stacked up to Diamonds on the Inside if he made it one album. As it is, I really enjoy pretty much the entire political album, but I don't see myself listening to the love album all that often.
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    i think every single rock song is great, but i could do without a few of the acoustics. theres definately some filler in there weighing down some great songs. still my favorite Harper album though
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    lumpyfredlumpyfred Posts: 243
    Im a pretty big Ben Harper fan, and for me this album was pretty much love at first listen. I don't know why, but I couldnt listen to anything else for a couple days after I got it, and its still my favorite right now but who knows how long that will last.
    Her?
  • Options
    rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    I heard all of the rock disk and it was really good. I loved it. It was actually my first listen of any Ben Harper! Any of his older albums good? Reccomendations for a young Ben Harper fan?
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Live From Mars is a two disc live set separated with one electric disc and one acoustic. It was my introduction to his music and I've loved him since. His last album, "Diamonds on the Inside" is my favorite studio album he has done. "Fight For Your Mind" is most likely to be recommended to you, but I much prefer the version of those songs on the live album.
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    rage333 wrote:
    I heard all of the rock disk and it was really good. I loved it. It was actually my first listen of any Ben Harper! Any of his older albums good? Reccomendations for a young Ben Harper fan?

Live on Mars and Diamonds on the Inside are the ones that will most appease your tastes and are the most accessible. I also like Burn to Shine. the first three are alright but nothing to write home about in my book...Harper was still developing his vocals and writing

on a vocals note..shit, how much better does he sound on this new album than on any other previous albums?!?! so much more diverse and versatile and just so much more fun to listen to
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.