Options

Death Cab, anyone?

OttOtt Posts: 403
edited March 2006 in Other Music
I just ordered tix for Death Cab in Austin. Who has seen them and can tell me what to expect? I saw them on Austin City Limits on PBS & was blown away. Franz Ferd, too??
'Give me some music; music, moody food/ of us that trade in love'
-Shakespeare
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I'll give you my perspective.

My buddy was begging me to buy us Franz Ferdinand tickets (not even something i would have chosen to see) but he has been getting in to them ...

he also was with me at the VFC show in Redding in '04 (Death Cab opened)... I went online to see if tix were available yet and they were still a few days off ... but i saw the opening band was DCFC ...

I called my buddy up to inform him of this ...

his response ...

"ALRIGHT DUDE. FUCK THAT! WE'RE NOT GOING! I AM NOT PAYING TO SEE THAT SHIT AGAIN" ...

haha ... just my worthless opinion ... i think i'm headed towards the label "geezer" ... and at 26?
    :(

anyhow.
    -my dumbass-
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    They've been discussed here a few times before, the board seems pretty divided. I like them though, both studio and live.
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    I have only seen them live once and I LOVE them!!! They aren't a band where you can dance to, like Pearl jam. They're pretty melo, but good!! :D
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    Tried to be a fan but it's just not my thing. Their music has no edge whatsoever. It's all cuddly.
  • Options
    none for me, thanks!
    from the height of the pacific
    to the depths of everest
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    im gonna hafta stick up for them.

i love death cab. they were easily the best band ive seen open for pearl jam (and ive seen a few... sonic youth, iggy pop, sparta). their tunes are melodic and very good, and when they play live they tend to pick up the tempo. the singer's voice can be uneven in concert, but musically they're a lot of fun. i say go. you'll have a good time.
  • Options
    im gonna hafta stick up for them.

i love death cab. they were easily the best band ive seen open for pearl jam (and ive seen a few... sonic youth, iggy pop, sparta). their tunes are melodic and very good, and when they play live they tend to pick up the tempo. the singer's voice can be uneven in concert, but musically they're a lot of fun. i say go. you'll have a good time.

long time no see.
    from the height of the pacific
    to the depths of everest
  • Options
    omg a mynx wrote:
    long time no see.

i know. where've you been all my life darlng?
  • Options
    edigerediger Posts: 308
    not a fan at all. That tour they're doing right now with Franz Ferdinand is my idea of hell. I hate how something like that can sell out in under a minute yet Bob Mould just got moved to a smaller venue for lack of demand
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • Options
    ediger wrote:
    not a fan at all. That tour they're doing right now with Franz Ferdinand is my idea of hell. I hate how something like that can sell out in under a minute yet Bob Mould just got moved to a smaller venue for lack of demand

Wow I didn't know that happened to Mould. No respect.
  • Options
    edigerediger Posts: 308
    Wow I didn't know that happened to Mould. No respect.

on the plus side, I get to see him in a 200 person capacity venue. That's going to be cool
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • Options
    ediger wrote:

who is bob mould?

death cab has 5 albums and a decade long career. they deserve what they've got. they've worked damn hard to enjoy their success. i dont think you can toss them off as a franz ferdinand style flavor of the moment band...
  • Options
    Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
    saw them with PJ at VFC. They're OK. Sirius radio plays the HELL OUTTA THEM.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • Options
    Bob Mould has had a long 20 plus career. He fronted Husker Du who were seminal for Alternative rock. His solo work has been quite good too.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    I like them. They are chill, I like the lyrics, and the songs are catchy. The only album I have is Transatlanticism which I like a lot. I like what I have heard of Plans (90% of the album on Sirius, FlannelShirt!!!).

I saw them on Saturday night live and the singer did not sound as good as on record. It seemed that they do not translate well live but I have never seen them so I really can't say.

I like that they put out 4 or 5 albums on an independent label and got a following and are now having commercial success making the same kind of music they made before.

I agree they have no edge but I still like them for what they are.

Bob Mould played here in a bar that I saw a 70s cover band that held maybe 200 people. I did not know about it until it had already happened. I love his new album "Body of Song". "Circles" may be the best song I heard all of last year.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."