Options

Smashing Pumpkins won't be at Coachella

AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
edited January 2006 in Other Music
Launch Radio Networks reports: When the lineup for this year's Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival is revealed later today (Monday, January 30), rumors are rampant that the reunited SMASHING PUMPKINS will be one of the headliners. But according to FMQB.com, a spokesperson for frontman Billy Corgan's record label told a San Diego radio station that reports of the PUMPKINS appearing were false. When asked if the band was pulling out, the spokesperson said, "We never knew they were in to back out." Corgan, however, recorded last year's solo debut, "TheFutureEmbrace", for Reprise, while the PUMPKINS were signed to the Virgin label.

Speculation about the PUMPKINS appearing at Coachella began nearly two weeks ago. The annual alternative music festival will take place on April 29 and April 30 in Indio, California. So far only DEPECHE MODE has been confirmed to headline on the 29th.

Corgan promised that he would reform the band last June. In a recent posting on his web site, Corgan wrote, "The surprise I have in store for you all will be announced soon enough..." No other details about the potential reunion have surfaced.
LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
YNWA
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Why doesn't (Corgan) do something relevant in the here and now instead of being a publicity whore. I love all of those old Pumpkins' albums too, but he seems so desperate for attention that he'll say anything these days
  • Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    Claiming to be getting the band back together without, you know, actually getting the band back together apparently doesn't work too well.

Who would have thought?
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Egos,infighting,hard feelings and whatever else are going to stall this thing.It would be nice to just put all that aside and reunite a band that made some really great music,if only for a day.Some things are easier said than done I suppose.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    as to the prior comments, last time i checked creating an album takes time. and if you thought he said something about playing coachella youre mistaken, if youre talking about re-uniting the band see my first point. i dont recall him saying anything about having all of the original members in the band at any point either.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    After that disaster of a solo record, I don't even know if i want to hear new music from Billy, and I love the pumpkins, I have every scrap of material I can get my hands on from them, but sometimes things are just best left the way they are.

The actual quote from Billy's big press release was "I want my band back" whether or not that implies the actual original lineup remains to be seen, I think he left i vague on purpose. We all know Jimmy is on board, he was from the start. As far as James and Darcy, well Darcy left the band before the last tour even happened, so who knows. I read something about Mellisa Auf De Mar the other day, and she is apparently busy with a few projects, so it doesn't seem like she is having anything to do with whatever is happening with the pumpkins.

I would be relatively satisfied with Billy and Jimmy and whoever the fuck in bass and the other guitar. It was always Billy's band anyway, and it isn't like anyone else did anything that amazing musically other than Jimmy. This is all assuming that any new music that comes out doesn't suck, and again I am quite skeptical.

As far as Coachella that was a rumor from the beginning, no one from Coachella or the Pumpkins ever said they were actually playing. There were rumors, someone made a fake poster based on the current Coachella artwork which of course got passed around the internet, and it just blew the hell up from there. It seemed like a possibility, based on the timing, but it was all speculation without any substance.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.