Options

Kim Thayil.

Vedder CrossingVedder Crossing Posts: 10
edited February 2006 in Other Music
Anybody know his true ethnic background? Is he a Sikh, Hindu or Muslim? Not that it really matters cause he plays a bitchin' axe. Some friends were clowning me because they say that there is no "brown" people in Rock. Im a proud Sikh BTW. I know there is a brown dude in Cornershop and Sum 41 and that Turbin guy in the "Hey Jude" video
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    he is east indian. But I dont know if he is muslim, Sikh, or Hindu
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    An even better question is what hte hell is he up to and do you think he had a frown on his face when he found out chris cornell is a fashion model for men's clothing....
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    He's Hindu. His family is from North India, he was born in Lake Forest, IL. Sept 4th, 1960.
    yeah for us brown people! Kim's one of my most favorite guitarists ever. One of these days I'll run into him when I'm back in Seattle.
    Don't let the world bring you down, not everyone here is that fucked up and cold. Remember why you came and while you're alive, experience the warmth before you grow old.

Best two days of my life: Oasis at MSG and Pearl Jam at the Gorge.
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    intodeep wrote:
    An even better question is what hte hell is he up to

exactly what I was going to say,
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    jimi hendrix?

he aint white
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    Kim Thayil is one of my all-time favorite guitarists. He's like...Wayne Kramer meets King Buzzo in Kashmir, and he's sick with a wah.

I had heard something about Kim being in a new project called Red X, but I can't find much in the way of info.
  • Options
    keyser_sozekeyser_soze London, England Posts: 205
    i thought he retired after soundgarden.

haven't heard anything from him except the no wto combo coupla years back.
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • Options
    OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    He's credited for some guitar work on Grohl's Probot at least.
    And I wonder if I saw his name on some QOTSA release as well. Not sure about that though.

It may appear that he's a session player mostly.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • Options
    Kim is my hero. Him slurping a beer at the VMA's years back was awesome. He just didnt give a fuck. I miss Soundgarden.
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Anybody know his true ethnic background? Is he a Sikh, Hindu or Muslim? Not that it really matters cause he plays a bitchin' axe. Some friends were clowning me because they say that there is no "brown" people in Rock. Im a proud Sikh BTW. I know there is a brown dude in Cornershop and Sum 41 and that Turbin guy in the "Hey Jude" video

Sat sri akal. I am a brown guy in rock. But no one knows who I am yet. That guy in the Hey Jude video is my uncle.
  • Options
    I miss him so much! I would die if he had music or a band come along..amazing. I also knew he was supposed to put together the entirety of their b-sides for a release..but years go and still no sign of it. Pretty sweet that would be. Kim is unfuckingbelievable. just to hear music from him again would be so wonderful.
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Kim is indeed one of the baddest mofos around. The guy will never stop blowing my mind. His chunky riffs & super unique style will forever shred/rock my life. :D

MUCH love for Kim!
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    I miss him so much! I would die if he had music or a band come along..amazing. I also knew he was supposed to put together the entirety of their b-sides for a release..but years go and still no sign of it. Pretty sweet that would be. Kim is unfuckingbelievable. just to hear music from him again would be so wonderful.

Nicely said my friend! :) I couldn't agree more.

And awww I know...THE B-SIDES!!! *twitches*

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Options
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Nicely said my friend! :) I couldn't agree more.

And awww I know...THE B-SIDES!!! *twitches*

I have most of them, except a few, but still, to have an official set with every one..I would be absolutely astonished! Even the b-sides will truly show just how incredibly amazing this band was and still is!

And if the Red X thing is still going on..just to know that Kim is still around making music would be wonderful. So very true Vedhead..absolutely one of the most badass guitarists to ever grace this earth!!
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • Options
    Yeah for sure. I have most of them myself as well but nothing would make me happier than an official release. And you KNOW there's some floating around that we've never even heard. :eek: That thought just makes me all fuzzy and kinda drooly! hehe. These goodies need to be unleashed if ya ask me! :D

And Red X...yeah! I haven't heard anything recent about that but agreed...this man definitely still needs to be making music. SUCH a badass!!!! And how about that stage presence?! haha. What a beast! Looove it!

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Options
    Omg, I know! Just that knowledge of how many more badass or beautiful songs are still out there..ack, i can't even describe how amazing that would be to have such a truly amazing gem!! And they must definitely find there way to the surface and give that little rekindling of beauty once more, you know?!:D

He withholds such a talent and to just leave it holed up and stored away..the tears would drown for eternity!! lmao, to just experience his power once would make my life, lol. And just seeing how he is or was on stage, is unfuckingbelievable. The power, passion, and energy composed and released from him is almost feckin suffocating! He needs to unleash the beast once more indeed!!!:D:D:D
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Kim Thayil is just a straight up badass!! Much respect.