Options

Toots and the Maytals! (review of the Phoenix Concert Theatre in Toronto last night)

Being EnlightenedBeing Enlightened Posts: 5,746
edited April 2006 in Other Music
Roots rock raggae at it's best! :) The man and his band can sure put on an energetic, fun-filled, happy, jumping, jamming, jiving, moving, grooving...experience. The show was filled with sing alongs (which we all know as PJ fans is big time fun! :D) dancing and just a whole, heaping lot of sunshine and happiness. The music just makes you want to swing your hips and let loose and pretty much everybody did just that. :) Toots himself was as lively as they come, dancing away on stage and getting the crowd riled up and roaring chants...and seeing as the dude has to be approaching 60 years of age, it was utterly awesome to be in the presence of such a joyful and peaceful man.

I was tickled pink to get a few of my favorite Toots classics like Peeping Tom, 54-46 That's My Number, Country Road and Pressure Drop; those sure made my night! :) I left feeling full of good vibrations and very sweaty as it was quite warm on the upper deck but I don't care, that's what concerts are for!!! Letting loose and setting your soul free! I do smile a lot on a regular basis but my face hurts from the cheshire grin that was pasted on my face last night! :D Thank you so much Toots and the Maytals, y'all got soul!!

:)

(on a side note, this band called The Southland, that hail from Los Angeles opened up and had a pretty decent rock n' roll sound--not bad at all! :) Definitely a band worth keeping an eye out for and to check out in the future as I think they seemed talented enough to have staying power. Let's hope so anyway, I know I'm getting sick of all the shite pop and pussy "rock" that's churned out by one hit wonder types! :p).

So, there's my feelings on the show and for anyone who enjoys raggae or just enjoys music that makes you want to move, check out Toots and the Maytals, you won't be disappointed! :)

Here's a link to their homepage, I hooked you up to the bio portion :):
http://www.tootsandthemaytals.net/toots/tootsbiography.aspx
Forget your perfect offering, there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Did they play Funky Kingston? my favourite Toots song although they're all good:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Ja Mon!!!!

Reggae'd me to my very soul! :)
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    Heya, reeferchief! :) I do believe that is a crowd favorite and if it's the song I think it is, then yes, 'twas played to a very enthusiastic response. :D

Glad to see there's at least one other Toots fan out there in PJ land, man! :)

Lordy, he be the godfather of raggae...sheesh, Keith Richards has played with him and even The Clash and Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds have covered one of my fave's, Pressure Drop...the man's a legend! :D

(and he's just too adorable for words out there shakin' his thang on stage, just awesome! :))
    Forget your perfect offering, there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen