Putting Together a Mix for My Professor

pj.uw.laurapj.uw.laura Posts: 553
edited December 2007 in The Porch
He's on the verge of becoming a PJ fan, but hasn't totally crossed over yet. He asked me what some of the gems are, and I said I'd make him a mix. He likes Daughter, Wishlist, Betterman, and Alive but doesn't like Evenflow or Jeremy. He doesn't care if the songs are studio or live:

Beyond that, he hasn't heard much. Given that, how does this mix look so far:

Thumbing My Way (from Green Habit)
Corduroy
Given to Fly (from Green Habit)
Black
Come Back
Marker in the Sand
Smile
Nothingman (Live on Two Legs)
Army Reserve
I Am Mine
Sad
Down
Immortality
Gone
Long Road

I have space for a couple more but don't know what to put on there. I don't think he's the real hardcore (e.g., Lukin) kind of guy (he's actually one of my professors, ha ha).

I'm also hesitant to put the good songs on there that have tons of F-bombs (I love Save You, but I don't want to put it on his first mix). Given that he likes some of the slower ones, how do these look?

He likes Wilco a lot, if that's any indication of what might be other good ones to put on here.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    present tense!!! and in my tree. possibly i got shit. i dont see how a college professor would get mad over cursing.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • He wouldn't get mad about cursing, but he has kids and probably doesn't want to worry about playing the CD in his car when his kids are in there. Hell, he's my supervisor on some of my client cases (I'm in grad school for clinical psychology), and we've all done our share of swearing in our supervision meetings. I was wondering about Why Go (given the mental health theme), but it took me a long time to like that song.

I was wondering about putting Present Tense in there. That feels like more of a song that, once you get really into PJ, is a great song live because of the crowd participation. I don't know how a fresh pair of ears would hear it from the studio album.

I was thinking In My Tree, too. Thanks for the help!
  • Nothingman
    Small Town

Just my two cents
    My god its been so long, never dreamed we'd return.
  • How has no one said Education yet? That is too many funnies.
    EV Bridgeschool - October 24, 2004
    San Francisco - July 15/16/18, 2006 Bridgeschool - October 21/22, 2006
    Lollapalooza - August 5,2007
    EV Berkley - April 7/8, 2008 The Who Rock Honors - July 12, 2008
    Outside Lands - August 28, 2009 Seattle - September 21/22, 2009 San Diego - October 9, 2009
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Thumbing My Way (from Green Habit)
    Corduroy
    Given to Fly (from Green Habit)
    Black
    Come Back
    Marker in the Sand
    Smile
    Nothingman (Live on Two Legs)
    Army Reserve
    I Am Mine
    Sad
    Down
    Immortality
    Gone
    Long Road

Must second the addition of "In My Tree." I also think "Who You Are" might be another good one though I realize not everyone's a fan. I like the looks of your list so far.:)

Out of curiosity, what subject does your professor teach? I wouldn't worry about the language - my experience in college was that most professors were pretty liberal in that area.
  • defo a live version of present tense. inside job would be good aswell i think.

indifference, yellow ledbetter, light years :)
  • He's a clinical psychology professor. He's really laid back and cool, but I'm picturing him wanting to play his CD in his office or in the car with his family, but then Save You comes on when our department chair or his 12-year-old are around... I'm just thinking that if he gets his feet wet first, then those other songs will come.

Thanks for all your feedback, guys. I appreciate it. I'm liking what I see!
  • satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    you should replace come back with severed hand
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    I GOT SHIT needs to be on there..... just tell the dude to buy all the albums, its money well spent.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    He's a clinical psychology professor. He's really laid back and cool, but I'm picturing him wanting to play his CD in his office or in the car with his family, but then Save You comes on when our department chair or his 12-year-old are around... I'm just thinking that if he gets his feet wet first, then those other songs will come.

Thanks for all your feedback, guys. I appreciate it. I'm liking what I see!

That's makes sense. I personally like the quieter songs the most anyway. Maybe "Hard to Imagine" would be a good choice as well (as long as you go with the Lost Dogs version).:)

Good luck! I hope he appreciates your hard work!
  • Leash clearly needs to be included ;)

Seriously though, I'd put Stupid Mop at the end, I bet he'd at least be intrigued by it.
  • I would add:

Low Light
    Light Years
    Love Boat Captain
  • Thanks again for all the help! I appreciate it, everyone. :)

I was thinking about Low Light... was on the fence about it.
  • I would add:

Hard To Imagine*
    I Got Shit
    ....DTE
    "It's as comfortable as can be. But when you're on stage playing with Neil, well -- it's one thing to be at the zoo and watch an animal pace around its cage. It's another to be in the cage with him." -Eddie Vedder
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,550
    I'd include Off he goes from live on two legs.

That version is very easy to like and goes down with just about anyone!
    I will swallow poison