Options

Bernard Fanning

natureboy46natureboy46 Posts: 165
edited April 2006 in Other Music
I've come to the realization that Tea and Sympathy is a great album. Initially I struggled with the sound because it was so different to Powderfinger (perhaps Tchad Blake had something to do with it) but after I few listens I've become hooked.

Over the past few weeks I've now listened to it more than anything else - with the exception of WWS/Unemployable.

Anyone else digging this great album?

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=31444765
In the land of the little kings
Profit is the only thing
And everywhere the little kings
Are getting away with murder
- Paul Kelly

www.troywass.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    yes i am liking bernard solo.
    after seeing nd hearing him in Ned Kelly, tea and sympathy didn't come as much of a surprise. and of course there was his appearance with The Wrights.
    loved songbird from first hearing.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    after seeing nd hearing him in Ned Kelly, tea and sympathy didn't come as much of a surprise. and of course there was his appearance with The Wrights.

You'll have to help me out - The Wrights?
    Profit is the only thing
    - Paul Kelly

www.troywass.com
  • Options
    my apologies. i assumed(wrongly) that you were australian.
    The Wrights is a 'supergroup' for want of a better word. The personnel include Nic Cester(Jet) Pat Bourke(Dallas Crane)Kram(Spiderbait)Davey Lane(You Am I)Phil Jamieson(Grinspoon)Chris Cheney(The LIving End) as well as Bernard.
    They all got together and recorded a version of Stevie Wrights epic 'Evie'. They recorded it to help out Stevie Wright, who had fallen on hard times. It also ended up helping out the Tsunami victims as well. The original 'Evie' came out in the 70s. For me personally it was quite a watershed moment in my musical education. I heard it when i was 9 and it still is one of my fave songs.
    Evie is a 3 part song with the middle being the ballady part, and the part that Bernard sings. It is a love song that ends in tragedy with Evie's death in childbirth.
    In my opinion it's an absolute classic.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392

yeah berns is great, i love thrill is gone, his solo tour was awesome. and like you said after hearing shelter for my soul and the solo show he did for the woomera benefit a few years back i knew the solo effort whould be very differant the PF. one of my fav songs didn't even make the album, Weekend Of Mystery, it's a cool song.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Options
    my apologies. i assumed(wrongly) that you were australian.
    The Wrights is a 'supergroup' for want of a better word. The personnel include Nic Cester(Jet) Pat Bourke(Dallas Crane)Kram(Spiderbait)Davey Lane(You Am I)Phil Jamieson(Grinspoon)Chris Cheney(The LIving End) as well as Bernard.
    They all got together and recorded a version of Stevie Wrights epic 'Evie'. They recorded it to help out Stevie Wright, who had fallen on hard times. It also ended up helping out the Tsunami victims as well. The original 'Evie' came out in the 70s. For me personally it was quite a watershed moment in my musical education. I heard it when i was 9 and it still is one of my fave songs.
    Evie is a 3 part song with the middle being the ballady part, and the part that Bernard sings. It is a love song that ends in tragedy with Evie's death in childbirth.
    In my opinion it's an absolute classic.

You were right - I am Australian. It's just that I've lived in NYC for the past 6 years and miss out on a lot of new Aussie stuff - I only discovered Grinspoon a few months ago :)
    First I've heard of the The Wrights. I'll have to try and find it though - I love Evie 1,2&3.
    Profit is the only thing
    - Paul Kelly

www.troywass.com
  • Options
    yeah berns is great, i love thrill is gone, his solo tour was awesome. and like you said after hearing shelter for my soul and the solo show he did for the woomera benefit a few years back i knew the solo effort whould be very differant the PF. one of my fav songs didn't even make the album, Weekend Of Mystery, it's a cool song.

Was/is Weekend of Mystery a b-side?
    Profit is the only thing
    - Paul Kelly

www.troywass.com
  • Options
    threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    Was/is Weekend of Mystery a b-side?

Nope, he played it live back in 2002 at the woomera benefit solo show he did. and then on the recent tour he played it at most show, saying that back when he first wrote it it was shit, and when the band where rehearsing for the tour they did a bit of work on it and made it better. if you want a live MP3 of it pm me your email address and i'll send it to ya.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Options
    You were right - I am Australian. It's just that I've lived in NYC for the past 6 years and miss out on a lot of new Aussie stuff - I only discovered Grinspoon a few months ago :)
    First I've heard of the The Wrights. I'll have to try and find it though - I love Evie 1,2&3.

oh my god i love grinspoon. the thought of phil doing those little dances he does live just kills me. so you haven't even met the mess hall. or cog(maybe) or the drones(maybe) gyroscope. wow you are missing out. sorry to sound so smug. but hey NYC has some fine bands.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say