Options

The Jayhawks

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited February 2006 in Other Music
Checked out their song Blue when someone mentioned it as a great song(which it is). Just wanted to know what the rest of their material is like and other great songs they have?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I have Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow the Green Grass. I heard that albums past Tomorrow the Green Grass got a lot poppier, which I kind of why I've stayed away. But Hollywood Town Hall is great Alt.-Country music, which is the genre I've always heard they belong in.
    Please don't smoke in smoke free buildings. You aren't cool, you're just an asshole
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Those two (Tomorrow the Green Grass and Hollywood Town Hall) are essential. I really like Sound of Lies too, its the first album after Mark left the band. Its definately a bitter album, you need to be in the right mood for it. Smile & Rainy Day Music have some individual great songs, but nowhere near TTGG and HTH.

If you can find it, check out Golden Smog. It has Gary from the Jayhawks, Jeff Tweedy, and some other guys from the Jayhawks and Soul Asylum. Well worth searching out the disc.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    Hey Steve. I never could get into the Jayhawks to much but I do like the Golden Smog records. Both of those (Weird Tales, Down By The Old Mainstream) are great. Saw Jeff Tweedy last week and he did Please Tell My Brother off Weird Tales. Very cool. They are supposed to have a new one coming out sometime, but I haven't heard anything for a while.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Options
    hailhail82 wrote:
    Hey Steve. I never could get into the Jayhawks to much but I do like the Golden Smog records. Both of those (Weird Tales, Down By The Old Mainstream) are great. Saw Jeff Tweedy last week and he did Please Tell My Brother off Weird Tales. Very cool. They are supposed to have a new one coming out sometime, but I haven't heard anything for a while.

Yeah, I was lucky enough to see the one Golden Smog tour that came to the west coast (they played at the Belly-up to a 1/2 full room). One of the best moments was Tweedys solo version of Pecan Pie, but the whole show was great. Really cool to see him in a small venue, I'm a bit bummed I had to miss the recent show. Speaking of Alt-Country, I'll be seeing Lucinda Williams & Doug Pettibone next Sunday at the Belly-up, which should be a great show.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• Options
    oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    mellow country rock has always been a guilty pleasure for me. early eagles, the byrds, poco, flying burrtio brothers, new riders of the purple sage, neil young w/stray gators, etc.

you can get a sample of the jayhawks at

http://main.losthighwayrecords.com/artist.aspx?aid=187

i had heard of them but only recently checked them out. thanks to another board member.

as a KU alum, any band called the Jayhawks can't be wrong!
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:
    Yeah, I was lucky enough to see the one Golden Smog tour that came to the west coast (they played at the Belly-up to a 1/2 full room). One of the best moments was Tweedys solo version of Pecan Pie, but the whole show was great. Really cool to see him in a small venue, I'm a bit bummed I had to miss the recent show. Speaking of Alt-Country, I'll be seeing Lucinda Williams & Doug Pettibone next Sunday at the Belly-up, which should be a great show.

Is that her guitarist? I saw them two with Son Volt up in Hollywood a month or so ago. Very good.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Options
    hailhail82 wrote:
    Is that her guitarist? I saw them two with Son Volt up in Hollywood a month or so ago. Very good.

Yeah, hes a great guitarist.

• Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    What other songs would you recommend I listen to bar blue?