Options

Drive-By Truckers --> The Dirty South

2»

Comments

• Options
    mookie dmookie d Posts: 43
    i don't think anyone has shown any love for the buford cup, carl perkins' cadillac, or the day john henry died but then again, on an album this badass it's easy for a few good ones to fall between the cracks.
    my love for you is ticking clock BERZERKER! would you like some making fuck BERZERKER?!

why will you take by force what you may have quietly by love? - Powhatan
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    NakedClown wrote:
    Living Bubba - I'd really like to know how to get my hands on a copy of that... will pay, etc...
    What the studio version??? the live version from "Alabama Ass-whuppin"??? I could e-mail you either one.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    VinceVince Posts: 174
    Dick Jones wrote:
    I picked this album up, and gave it a listen and nothing seemed to stand out for me. Only on first listen. I like the sound they have for sure, and hope I can get into it more. But what are some of the key tracks?

[Pissbottleman???]

The Day John Henry Died and Lookout Mountain stand out when I listen to the album. However, I love every song. It's complete from beginning to end.

I saw them live last summer at the Baltimore Art Festival for free. They flat out rocked!!!

Before I saw them I bought their live DVD on a whim having heard nothing from them. It kicked ass.

Decoration Day and Southern Rock Opera are great albums too.

Every time I listen to them I get a craving for bourbon. Elijah Craig on the rocks, to be exact.
    “Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.”
  • Options
    VinceVince Posts: 174
    A BLESSING AND A CURSE
    The new album from DBT is due out April 18 in the U.S.
    http://blessingandacurse.com
    “Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.”
  • Options
    NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    Just today my copy of Dirty South started skipping on the powerful closing section of Never Gonna Change, Lookout Mountain and Goddamn Lonely Love.

It is less awful because I copied the CD to my computer long ago and just burn another copy...
  • Options
    NakedClown wrote:
    Just today my copy of Dirty South started skipping on the powerful closing section of Never Gonna Change, Lookout Mountain and Goddamn Lonely Love.

It is less awful because I copied the CD to my computer long ago and just burn another copy...
    I still shed a tear though.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    PBW and I went to Atlanta this past weekend. While going through Chattanooga, we passed Lookout Mountain.

That fired my ass up.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Why are their cd's so expensive? The cheapest I've seen it is $22, and I was just at a music store buying a couple cd's and saw that one for $26 - The Dirty South that is

I so badly want to listen to it, but no way can I allow myself to pay more than $30 with tax...just craziness
  • Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Why are their cd's so expensive? The cheapest I've seen it is $22, and I was just at a music store buying a couple cd's and saw that one for $26 - The Dirty South that is

I so badly want to listen to it, but no way can I allow myself to pay more than $30 with tax...just craziness

Thats fucked up, everywhere I have seen them they have been right in line with the rest of the stuff in the store.

Maybe try Ebay, or half.com
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    Ok, I gave this album quite a few tries. But I just can't get into to it. And I'm not trying to take anything away from the band, they are good, it's just not my cup o' tea. Maybe a different album?

There are some good tracks on it for sure, but overall, eh.

[sorry it took so long]
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • Options
    Truckers are on Music Road on Turner South tonight...my cousin in Alabama called to rub it in...we don't get it in Kentucky. :(

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    anyone wanna trade for the new DBT album? I bought the last one and like it, but since I spent $30 on it I think I deserve the new one for less. I got a ton of cd's I can trade. Let me know.
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Great album, best song is the first one 'Where the Devil Don't Say'.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Red Lukin wrote:

I have had the same problem too. I can't find them for less then 18 bucks :(

I did pick this album up though and i like it a lot. I love the first song where the devil don't stay. That song just kicks a lot of ass! Love goddamn lonely, lookout mountain, and puttin people on the moon. Those four stood out for me immediatly.

I'm excited. I'm also disapointed i have not gotten into them sooner since i'm in Atlanta..... I will definatly try to hit the next show at the 40 watt
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    JamHead86JamHead86 Posts: 37
    the only song on that album that i cant get into is john henry. cottonseed is kickass, where the devil dont stay just rocks so incredibly hard i cant stay still during it.

anyone else pick up pizza deliverance. i bought it after i had dirty south and it is much different very country twangy sound. not a huge fan of it but there are a couple good songs.

lookin forward to the new one.
    "I feel it!"- Eddie, during Alive solo, Chicago 2003
  • Options
    I'm not a big fan of Daddy's Cup...I thought I might like it after seeing it live, but it doesn't do anything for me. I do like Cooley's work though.

PBM

• Options
    Cooley clearly shines on Where the Devil Don't Stay... might be his best work...

Sounds Better in the Song... is one of my current favorites... I never realized how sweet that song was before... (off of DD, of course)...
  • Options
    AND... the PEARL JAM CONNECTION...

I was just reading the ABAAC notes on drivebytruckers.com and Danny Clinch (who directed the current promotional PJ video and took most of their recent promo shots), who is friends with DBT, inspired the name of the album... (the new album, that is - A Blessing and a Curse....
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    I'm not a big fan of Daddy's Cup...I thought I might like it after seeing it live, but it doesn't do anything for me. I do like Cooley's work though.

PBM

I feel that way about Cottonseed. I usually skip it on the disc, but I thought it kicked ass live.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options

PBM
    I can tolerate the song, not his best work is correct, but I hate the subject matter........stock car racing blows.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    NakedClown wrote:
    AND... the PEARL JAM CONNECTION...

I was just reading the ABAAC notes on drivebytruckers.com and Danny Clinch (who directed the current promotional PJ video and took most of their recent promo shots), who is friends with DBT, inspired the name of the album... (the new album, that is - A Blessing and a Curse....

PJ takes DBT out to open up for there southern leg :D

that would be great :)

just need them to announce that damn southern leg
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

that would be great :)

just need them to announce that damn southern leg
    And the correct answer is true to all of the above....:)
  • Options
    I would buy a plane ticket and hotel rooms for Birmingham and Atlanta if this happened...

One can dream...
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

I read a quote from Patterson about playing a lot this year and they were going to play with some famous bands...my thoughts started racing.

PBM