Options

Drive-By Truckers --> The Dirty South

Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
edited April 2006 in Other Music
I picked this album up, and gave it a listen and nothing seemed to stand out for me. Only on first listen. I like the sound they have for sure, and hope I can get into it more. But what are some of the key tracks?

[Pissbottleman???]
Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Dick Jones wrote:
    I picked this album up, and gave it a listen and nothing seemed to stand out for me. Only on first listen. I like the sound they have for sure, and hope I can get into it more. But what are some of the key tracks?

[Pissbottleman???]
    Lookout Mountain and Goddamn Lonely Love.

Last two...they finish on a strong note.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Puttin' People on the Mother Fuckin Moon.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    "Daddy use to empty out his shotgun shells and fill 'em full of black-eyed peas"

Never Gonna Change

The whole album is great.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    Where the Devil Don't Stay totally kicks my ass.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    I don't understand how that album does NOT jump out at anyone... it may just not be your style...

Really not a bad song on that album... I can do without Tornadoes...

GDLL, Devil Won't Stay, Danko/Manuel, Lookout Mountain...

Give it a few more listens...
  • Options
    Cooley is a bad-ass. He has this laid-back "I really don't give a fuck" attitude.

PBM

• Options
    Cooley is a bad-ass. He has this laid-back "I really don't give a fuck" attitude.

PBM
    Good assessment. He's got the "best" voice of the three if you ask me.
  • Options
    Good assessment. He's got the "best" voice of the three if you ask me.

I honestly can't rate them...they are the sum of their parts. I have favorites that each of them sing.

Patterson was introducing the band the other night and he said something funny about Cooley (couldn't hear very well)...Cooley flipped him off.

Cooley was also the first one to take a tug off the Jack. Although, Isbell hammered it pretty good.

PBM

• Options

Cooley was also the first one to take a tug off the Jack.

PBM

That doesn't surprise me at all... :D
  • Options
    That doesn't surprise me at all... :D

That dude sounds like he was breast-fed Jack Daniels. His Adam's Apple weighs 4 1/2 pounds.

PBM

• Options
    That dude sounds like he was breast-fed Jack Daniels. His Adam's Apple weighs 4 1/2 pounds.

PBM
    Well, just remember, you went there, not me!
  • Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    Cooley was also the first one to take a tug off the Jack. Although, Isbell hammered it pretty good.

PBM

When I saw them last year, I had only just recently bought Dirty South so i wasn't terribly familiar with the band, but when Cooley came out with the bottle of Jack and set it on the amp, I knew I was in for good times.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    When I saw them last year, I had only just recently bought Dirty South so i wasn't terribly familiar with the band, but when Cooley came out with the bottle of Jack and set it on the amp, I knew I was in for good times.

One couple from Illinois was asking about if some pictures were next to the drum kit.

One was a picture of Jesus...I can't remember the other one.

She was disappointed that they weren't there...she said they usually are (kind of like the bat wings).

Anyone know the significance.

PBM

• Options
    People Who Died...is the only version of that on Alabama Ass Whuppin'?

PBM

• Options
    I believe so...
  • Options
    What's the backstory? Where does it come from?

PBM

• Options
    Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    Aw yeah, I'm back. Thanks everyone this thread pumped me up to listen to this baby. I just put on Lookout Mountain,...this song kicks ass.

...listening..............
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    People Who Died is a cover of a Jim Carroll song, he's the guy who wrote 'The Basketball Diaries'. Don't know much else about him. But the song rocks, both the DBT version, and the Jim Carroll Band version (its on the album Catholic Boy).
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    Dick Jones wrote:
    Aw yeah, I'm back. Thanks everyone this thread pumped me up to listen to this baby. I just put on Lookout Mountain,...this song kicks ass.

...listening..............
    Good, good.

Give us the review...
  • Options
    It'll keep growing on you... that cd spent 13+ months in my CD changer before I switched it out (6 disc changer)...
  • Options
    NakedClown wrote:
    It'll keep growing on you... that cd spent 13+ months in my CD changer before I switched it out (6 disc changer)...
    That's fucking awesome.
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    People Who Died...is the only version of that on Alabama Ass Whuppin'?

PBM

It's on their DVD "Live at the 40 Watt" as well. That's definitely one of the best cover songs I've ever heard. I f**kin' LOVE this band! The Dirty South is amazing from beginning to end. Not a single dud on the entire thing. But I do have a few personal faves:

Where the Devil Don't Stay
    Tornadoes
    Puttin' People on the Moon
    Danko/Manuel
    Daddy's Cup
    Never Gonna Change
    Lookout Mountain
    Goddamn Lonely Love
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    LivingBubbaLivingBubba Posts: 135
    Just got finished watching Tres Tangled Truckers from the Poor House in December, great show. Jason Isbell, Kevn Kinney, and Katlin Kerry kicked ass for about two hours. A friend got it in the mail somehow, but Jason plays alot of his newer stuff ...... Daylight, Whisper and a few more.

Jason Ross from 7M3 came out to play Southwestern State too .... really cool stuff
  • Options
    From Nine Bullets:

Patterson, Cooley, and Brad were joined by Dave Schools on bass and John Neff on guitar for a set of Rolling Stones covers. Here's what they played...

Loving Cup - Hood
    Silver Train - Schools
    Starfucker - Hood
    Before They Make Me Run - Cooley
    Moonlight Mile - Hood
    Shattered - Hood

PBM

• Options

Shattered - Hood

PBM

That I'd like to hear!
  • Options
    Sha doobie.

PBM

• Options
    Sha doobie.

PBM
    That's what makes this board the best, hey, look at me!
  • Options
    Living Bubba - I'd really like to know how to get my hands on a copy of that... will pay, etc...
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Where the Devil Don't Stay totally kicks my ass.
    Yes.....see my signature......:)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    NakedClown wrote:
    Living Bubba - I'd really like to know how to get my hands on a copy of that... will pay, etc...
    archive.org