Options

I dont think the new album will be a hit...

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited August 2009 in The Porch
I wish it werent true, but even with the Target deal, the new Cameron Crowe video, and the documentary to follow and the promotion for the album which seems like it could rival the unprecedented press for Avocado, I dont think the band will become the next big thing.

If the push for Avocado didnt work, in 2006, I dont think the push for backspacer will work either. Sorry to be such a pessimist.

Music these days is pretty interesting, and in many ways rivals the grunge days in the fact that many of the big bands at the moment are indie and not really into the whole fame and fortune deal. bands like Vampire Weekend, Bon Iver, Death Cab, Modest Mouse, The Shins, Iron and Wine, Bright Eyes, are the bands of the moment. But I dont think any of the bands fit in with Pearl Jam and I dont think any of those bands were influenced by PJ either.

Will Backspacer be met with millions of new fans ala Green Day and American Idiot, or will it be another Avocado, a great album, with great songs, and selling a good amount, but not blowing up and becoming the next huge album and cultural event

I think the music scene isn't conducive to a Pearl jam.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    that said I havent heard the new songs or song on Conan yet so i may revise this when I see the show...
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    It's difficult to have a hit record or song these days without absolutely sucking.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    does it need to be a hit???

you will still buy it :lol::lol:
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Oh come on, Deddie downer!..

Stop thinking about this.

Enjoy the moment!
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    It's difficult to have a hit record or song these days without absolutely sucking.
    lock her up

Admin
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    for sure dude but who cares anymore? As long as they are still a touring force and making music that moves me that's good enough for me.
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,091
    I don't think they are struggle to pay the bills....
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    Besides Riot Act, they have all been excellent in their own way...I"ll be the first one in line to buy it!
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    I wish it werent true, but even with the Target deal, the new Cameron Crowe video, and the documentary to follow and the promotion for the album which seems like it could rival the unprecedented press for Avocado, I dont think the band will become the next big thing.

If the push for Avocado didnt work, in 2006, I dont think the push for backspacer will work either. Sorry to be such a pessimist.

Music these days is pretty interesting, and in many ways rivals the grunge days in the fact that many of the big bands at the moment are indie and not really into the whole fame and fortune deal. bands like Vampire Weekend, Bon Iver, Death Cab, Modest Mouse, The Shins, Iron and Wine, Bright Eyes, are the bands of the moment. But I dont think any of the bands fit in with Pearl Jam and I dont think any of those bands were influenced by PJ either.

Will Backspacer be met with millions of new fans ala Green Day and American Idiot, or will it be another Avocado, a great album, with great songs, and selling a good amount, but not blowing up and becoming the next huge album and cultural event

dude you need to stop looking at the negative of things.....their next album could be their finest critical and commercial success ever....and if it's not it really doesn't matter....this band has never lived on hits...just good fucking music
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    norm wrote:

dude you need to stop looking at the negative of things.....their next album could be their finest critical and commercial success ever....and if it's not it really doesn't matter....this band has never lived on hits...just good fucking music

On top of that, when was the last time any of those bands had a song or album on mainstream radio charts? They're not pulling anymore weight than PJ in terms of being 'the next big thing.'
  • Options
    I agree I dont think the band is in danger of losing their homes, but I think it was clear that the band and J records and Kelly all expected Avocado to be a hit. It was promoted like no other PJ album in recent memory, the last album they promoted that extensively was probably Ten. Mike I think had said, the band wanted it to be a hit, which of course was very different from the past. Sure all bands want to sell at least some records, but I took Mike's quote to mean they wanted the album to hit big.

I dont think Avocado did as well as they would have hoped, which is a shame, and I wonder if J Records was dissapointed in the sales as well.

That said no band is really selling many records these days. Still I think alot of record industry types still look at record sales as important.

The band has been on both sides of the equation and thats their right. All I am saying is my opinion. We all know they were humongous in the early 90's. Then deliberatly did everything to lose fans. Then with Avocado they, or Mike made it sound like they wanted the sucker to sell.

I disagree about the weight comment. I dont think any of those bands are bigger or more important than PJ, but I do think they are big at the moment. I terms of exposure, they literally are played all the time via the only musical outlet these days that matters besides Pitchfork or Stereogum or Brooklyn Vegan. They are played as soundtracks on shows like Grey's Anatomy, Scrubs, The Hills, and so on. yes PJ was played on scrubs and Friends, but by and large these days, you find the indie type bands as soundtracks to these shows. And those shows have a huge audience. And I do think you are more likely to hear someone say "hey I heard a great new song or band on The Hills or Grey's last night" as opposed to "I heard this new band on the radio or VH1 that I really like".

PJ hasnt liscenced many songs to tv, and isnt featured much on any of the hip blog music websites of the day. Like it or not, these days thats how bands get exposure now, tv and the blogs.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Does it HAVE to be a hit? I mean, what truly defines success? It's all subjective, especially art and music.
  • Options
    YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    at least 400,000 copies will be sold n the first week. any new band would be thrilled with that. who gives a shit if they have a hit. not all of us will love the entire record, some of us will, some of us will hate it, some of us will only like a few songs and love a couple and hate a couple....whatever.

all i really hope is that this record yields 4 songs that continue to get heavy play live for the next 10 years. binaural and riot act haven't gotten much burn live, which is a shame imo. there's at least 5 songs on each record that should be getting played live often.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    TheEvolutionTheEvolution Posts: 143
    I think in these times when records aren't selling they way they used to Avocado should be considered a success. It sold over 700,000 copies which in previous years would have easily been over a million. They just need to be popular enough to continue selling out shows and i don't see that not happening.
    "Being undecided...it's dangerous. And I'll give you a perfect example: people with mullets, that's indecision."-EV

9/28/05-PNC
    5/30/06-DC
    6/23/06-Pittsburgh
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    at least 400,000 copies will be sold n the first week. any new band would be thrilled with that. who gives a shit if they have a hit. not all of us will love the entire record, some of us will, some of us will hate it, some of us will only like a few songs and love a couple and hate a couple....whatever.

all i really hope is that this record yields 4 songs that continue to get heavy play live for the next 10 years. binaural and riot act haven't gotten much burn live, which is a shame imo. there's at least 5 songs on each record that should be getting played live often.

You said it best.... 8-)
  • Options
    WashmyLUVWashmyLUV Posts: 102
    ARe you serious? Who cares if its not a huge hit! You should still be SUPER STOKED! Anything Pearl Jam is incredible!
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    that said I havent heard the new songs or song on Conan yet so i may revise this when I see the show...

you're an idiot.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940

you're an idiot.
    LMFAO
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    A hit by whose standards?

This album will be another awesome chapter and more music from a band we all love. Pearl Jam will still continue to sell out concerts until they are old and grey and Eddie Vedder looks like Jerry Garcia.

I seriously doubt that Pearl Jam went into the studio thinking "We gotta have another hit" so why are their fans on this board thinking that. Those fans are probably the fans that cry out on here every so often that the band is breaking up.

It'll all be fine guys. It'll be awesome! They're touring! Fun!
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    this is the dumbest thread ever.

the guy is saying he thinks it will not be a hit...then says he has not heard the only two songs that have come out. come on. give me a break.

i think tomorrow will be rainy. but i have not seen the weather forecast. it's just a hunch.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    RVM1245RVM1245 Posts: 32
    sounded like a little bit of Corduroy, mixed with a little WWS, blended with a hearty Comatose, infused with Severed Hand, then crushed with a tad of Black, then pounded down with 2 parts All or None...oh wait it had a little Lukin rolled in and then finally topped with Cropduster
  • Options
    SM10080SM10080 Posts: 234

Um, OK. I'm sure the band was aiming for a hit, but unfortunately, as you said, they won't get it. Dude, please understand this: Why this band is great is because they don't try to make hits--they make music they like. You know who makes 'hits'? Britney Spears, the backstreet boys, and every crap rapper. PJ is a little above that shit.
  • Options
    this is the dumbest thread ever.

the guy is saying he thinks it will not be a hit...then says he has not heard the only two songs that have come out. come on. give me a break.

i think tomorrow will be rainy. but i have not seen the weather forecast. it's just a hunch.

agreed
  • Options
    darthvedder81darthvedder81 Posts: 688
    edited June 2009
    On the contrary, it seems like the sounds PJ is starting to incorporate into the band put it right in line with groups like "The Killers" and others that appeal to a younger crowd. The Target partnership could be huge as well as far as getting the music noticed by a wider audience.

The days of selling a million albums in a week are over but that doesn't mean the album can't do well.
    Post edited by darthvedder81 on
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options

I don't think 'music is your life'. I think watching billboard charts is.
  • Options

So what is a hit, hot shot? If you can give me a quantitative way of measuring this, we can talk.
  • Options
    knikknik Posts: 94
    I think that the album will do pretty well.
  • Options
    heard the new song, and yes its great. And I am hoping the furious lyrics are in reference to obama;s unwillingness to bring the troops home and that we all need a good rock song to get us through.

that said I stand by the original post. The album will not be a huge hit, whether the band wants it that way is another question.
  • Options
    SM10080 wrote:

I don't think 'music is your life'. I think watching billboard charts is.

I have a basic understanding of billboard, and check it out, or try to check out the top few albums every week. That said, isnt billboard about music?
  • Options
    twojawastwojawas Posts: 318
    binaural and riot act haven't gotten much burn live, which is a shame imo. there's at least 5 songs on each record that should be getting played live often.

5 songs on Riot Act? I can't think of one that I want to hear live or on record.