Options

Tar-jay

TheRiotActTheRiotAct Posts: 131
edited June 2009 in The Porch
See its not so bad...method to their madness.

From Wiki...

Target Corporation is consistently ranked as one of the most philanthropic companies in the country. It ranked #11 in Fortune Magazine's "Top 20 Most Admired Companies" for 2007, largely in part to the donation efforts of the company as a whole.[65] According to a November 2005 Forbes article, it ranked as the highest cash-giving company in America in percentage of income given (2.1%).[66] Target donates around 5 percent of its pre-tax operating profit; it gives over $3 million a week (up from $2 million in years prior) to the communities in which it operates. It also gives a percentage of charges from its Target Visa to schools designated by the cardholders. To date, Target has given over $150 million to schools across the United States through this program. Target's corporate by-laws state it must give 5 percent of its pre-tax profits to charity.[67][citation needed]

Further evidence of Target's philanthropy can be found in the Target House complex in Memphis, Tennessee, a long-term housing solution for families of patients at the city's St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. The corporation led the way with more than $27 million in donations, which made available 96 fully furnished apartments for families needing to stay at St. Jude over 90 days.

Target has a standard no-solicitation rule at its properties, as it seeks to provide a "distraction-free shopping experience for its guests." Exemptions to this policy were previously made for the Salvation Army red kettles and bell-ringers outside Target stores during the holidays through Christmas. In 2004, however, Target asked the organization to explore alternate methods to partner with Target. Target donates to local Salvation Army chapters through its grant program and annually to the United Way of America (the Salvation Army is a member of the United Way coalition).

In 2005, Target and the Salvation Army[68] created a joint effort called "The Target/Salvation Army Wish List," where online shoppers could donate goods to the organization for Hurricane victims by buying them directly from Target.com between November 25, 2005, and January 25, 2006. In 2006, they created another joint effort called "The Target/Salvation Army Angel Giving Tree,"[69] which is an online version of the Salvation Army's Angel Tree program;[70] in addition to donating proceeds made from the sales of limited edition Harvey Lewis angel ornaments within Target's stores. During the Thanksgiving holiday of 2006, Target and the Salvation Army partnered with magician David Blaine to send several families on a shopping spree the morning of Black Friday. The challenge held that if Blaine could successfully work his way out of a spinning gyroscope by the morning of Black Friday, then several families would receive $500 shopping certificates. The challenge was completed successfully by Blaine.[71]

During disasters, Target has been a major benefactor for relief efforts. Target provided monetary and product donations during the September 11 attacks; it also donated money for relief efforts for the 2004 tsunami in South Asia and donated $1.5 million (U.S.) to the American Red Cross in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005. It also allowed its store properties in the affected area to be used as command centers for relief organizations. It also donated supplies such as water and bug spray. Besides these major disasters, Target also regularly lends support to disasters that are not as well known or only affect a regional area.[citation needed]
"Close but no sitar." ~ EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    oh god hahah watch out for the locked thread:D
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I love how people get all up in arms about stuff like this. PJ has teamed up with Verizon and now it looks like Target might be another partner. Who cares? Times have changed, I like that they try to market their music... if they didn't it would be bad business. People get delusional and bent out of shape over this kind of thing all the time.
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,840
    Well based on this, the band shouldn't be such a target for so much hate.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,076
    Well based on this, the band shouldn't be such a target for so much hate.

ha ha. touche
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    i personally havent been against any target stuff, like a band gotta do what they gotta do and at least it was with some company that has at least some morals
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,614
    Look it people. In this day in age, if you are going to release an album on your own, with no record company, and you don't want to lose money doing it, you have to do something like this. Yes, you can try the Radiohead method, but it's been done. I personally could care less if these rumors end up being true, do what you need to do boys, just keep the music good and get your asses on the road!
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    The sad thing is, outside of PJ's core fan base, no one is going to give a fuck about PJ partnering with Target.

But since they're under a microscope here and their ethics are on such a high pedestal they're going to get bruised and battered by the fans who are supposed to love them the most... and that's pretty shitty.

PJ missed their chance to sell out a long time ago, anything corporate that they do now is, in my opinion, done simply because it's a good business venture... take off the rose colored glasses peeps.
  • Options
    RiotAct10 wrote:
    Look it people. In this day in age, if you are going to release an album on your own, with no record company, and you don't want to lose money doing it, you have to do something like this. Yes, you can try the Radiohead method, but it's been done. I personally could care less if these rumors end up being true, do what you need to do boys, just keep the music good and get your asses on the road!

+1
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    sony is a corporation
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    norm wrote:
    sony is a corporation

+infinity
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    edited June 2009
    The sad thing is, outside of PJ's core fan base, no one is going to give a fuck about PJ partnering with Target.

I don't know. I'll probably catch a steady stream of shit about it from the PJ haters I know.

But you know what, in the words of the great and powerful Ed, fuck 'em!
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    norm wrote:
    sony is a corporation

Forum Foul...common sense is not appreciated in these parts of the woods, pal.
  • Options

Truer words were never typed!!

Plus half the fans here won't get too bothered by it either.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    norm wrote:
    sony is a corporation

Forum Foul...common sense is not appreciated in these parts of the woods, pal.

sorry my bad...i need to act like the rest of the children and get mad and take my toys and go home ;):lol:
  • Options
    Sadly, this board is making it a story.

I've already seen two sites mentioning the shit storm about it here.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Y'know, I've always liked Target.
    Their symbol reminds me of something near and dear to my heart :)

But...they are a corporation and all of our liberal left wing books have told us to avoid corporations like lepers, because they are under every circumstance run by evil despicable pricks who dump sludge in our waters and give cancer to our children.

How dare Pearl Jam align themselves with these swine!!
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,750
    It's only a story here because of all the censorship from the board mods. Which only works to fuel MORE rumor and speculation thus making it an even bigger story, and the cycle continues...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    pjsycopjsyco Wilmington, NC Posts: 642
    I love how people get all up in arms about stuff like this. PJ has teamed up with Verizon and now it looks like Target might be another partner. Who cares? Times have changed, I like that they try to market their music... if they didn't it would be bad business. People get delusional and bent out of shape over this kind of thing all the time.

A-fucking-men to this!! Who really gives a fuck? Times DO change. Some people need to get off their high horse around here. JUST ENJOY THE FUCKING MUSIC, PEOPLE.....LOOSEN UP!!!!
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,942
    Here's my thinking - and if my logic is flawed, please explain how, as I wish I knew more about the way these things work.
    So, PJ decides to give an exclusive deal to a big-box retailer (let's say.... Target, hypothetically). Target, recognizing they have an exclusive, orders a larger volume than they otherwise would have. Therefore, Pearl Jam and their management make a larger amount of copies to sell. With larger volume comes bigger discounts - which are passed on to the consumer in the end. In this way, although, yes, the ma & pa shops suffer, the buyers ultimately get a lower price.
    Like I said, this is just what I thought happens. If I'm wrong, would someone please explain how?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    norm wrote:
    sony is a corporation
    Exactly. I have no issues at all with the Target partnership. Target has always seemed like a responsible corporation, just like the Pearl Jam corporation.
  • Options
    pjsyco wrote:

A-fucking-men to this!! Who really gives a fuck? Times DO change. Some people need to get off their high horse around here. JUST ENJOY THE FUCKING MUSIC, PEOPLE.....LOOSEN UP!!!!

Wait!! Does your avatar say PEARL JAM SUX???!!!! :shock: :o
  • Options
    pjsycopjsyco Wilmington, NC Posts: 642
    Lizard wrote:
    pjsyco wrote:

Wait!! Does your avatar say PEARL JAM SUX???!!!! :shock: :o
    Not my thoughts, Hootie's drummers thoughts. He was joking because he knows how big of a fan I am.
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    benjs wrote:
    Here's my thinking - and if my logic is flawed, please explain how, as I wish I knew more about the way these things work.
    So, PJ decides to give an exclusive deal to a big-box retailer (let's say.... Target, hypothetically). Target, recognizing they have an exclusive, orders a larger volume than they otherwise would have. Therefore, Pearl Jam and their management make a larger amount of copies to sell. With larger volume comes bigger discounts - which are passed on to the consumer in the end. In this way, although, yes, the ma & pa shops suffer, the buyers ultimately get a lower price.
    Like I said, this is just what I thought happens. If I'm wrong, would someone please explain how?

I think when AC/DC or Metallica or The Eagles, one of those, released their latest album, they only went through one store, Wal-Mart I believe. By doing that it guarantees x number of albums are sold, then it's that companies [company's i think is the right spelling here?] responsibility to make a profit themselves.

I worked at Target, it's really not bad. I would prefer PJ didn't do this, but it's not the end of the world.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    gobrowns19 wrote:
    benjs wrote:

I think when AC/DC or Metallica or The Eagles, one of those, released their latest album, they only went through one store, Wal-Mart I believe. By doing that it guarantees x number of albums are sold, then it's that companies responsibility to make a profit themselves.

I worked at Target, it's really not bad. I would prefer PJ didn't do this, but it's not the end of the world.

I don't think that' how it works. I think Target/BestBuy/Walmart agree to distribute the album in exchange exclusivity. I'm pretty sure album sales still start in the same place, the company just funds the album like a record company would.
  • Options
    DeLukin wrote:
    It's only a story here because of all the censorship from the board mods. Which only works to fuel MORE rumor and speculation thus making it an even bigger story, and the cycle continues...

I can't disagree with that.

:cry:
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    I find it funny that this thread is still alive. Bump
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    ewokpeltsewokpelts Posts: 709
    If it's good enough for PRINCE.......
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,269
    norm wrote:
    sony is a corporation
    +1
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    i just hope their commercial isnt as cheesy as the target exclusive black eyed peas one i just saw - targets all over the background, bad music, very targety :|
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,942
    Its an issues cause fans on here like to bitch bout anything and everything. The mods locked em cause its stupid to have 10 threads on the same topic. Hell people would bitch if ed drove a hummer or something.like take this thread for example. Is there really need to make another threard bout this. Why can't people just use the fucking search function and type in the word target. Not that hard.
    DeLukin wrote:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?