Buying ukulele

veddermanvedderman Posts: 801
edited June 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
i decided to buy ukulele! :P since i know how to play a guitar i think it won't be a big problem learning to play ukulele. but the main question for me is what brand of this instrument is worth buying. today i saw a wooden ukulele for like $45 but when i made the first strumm it sounded weak and quiet. it had plastic strings if this is right? so i think this was not even close to a quality instrument. can someone tell me what is a decent ukuele worth buying?
2000 Ljubljana
2006 Vienna, Zagreb
2007 Munich
2009 Berlin
2010 Dublin, Belfast, Berlin, Venice
2011 Montreal, Toronto 1&2
2012 Manchester 1&2, Amsterdam 1&2, Prague, Berlin 1&2, EV Manchester
2013 Worcester 1&2, Brooklyn 1&2
2014 Amsterdam 1&2, Manchester 1&2, Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
2017 EV Firenze, Taormina 1&2
2018 Amsterdam 1&2, Padova, Prague, Krakow, Berlin
2019 EV Firenze
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    vedderman wrote:
    i decided to buy ukulele! :P since i know how to play a guitar i think it won't be a big problem learning to play ukulele. but the main question for me is what brand of this instrument is worth buying. today i saw a wooden ukulele for like $45 but when i made the first strumm it sounded weak and quiet. it had plastic strings if this is right? so i think this was not even close to a quality instrument. can someone tell me what is a decent ukuele worth buying?

I'd say look for alotta the same qualities as an acoustic guitar. BTW, I think they have nylon strings ala classical guitars.

I do know Ed always tries to get everybody to be very quiet when he plays, so maybe they don't necessarily get too loud.
  • TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 536
    edited May 2009
    Good for you! Ukuleles are great! You should definitely do some more research online before you buy one. The main thing is that there are tons and tons of cheap ukuleles around for just a few bucks... many are useless toys. some aint so bad. As far as the strings go, yes they should be plastic (nylon to be exact) like a classical guitar. that' s partly what gives it such a sweet sound. The uke is a seriously beautiful instrument with a sometimes unfortunate reputation as a novelty. Finding a good mid price-range uke is a little tough because of this... I play a Favilla baritone uke from the 50's and it's amazing. If you can find one on ebay it's probably pretty pricey but nowhere near what a Martin would cost and sounds just as good. There's a bunch of ukulele websites out there that can fill you in such as... http://www.theukuleleshop.co.uk/buyingaukulele.htm while you're at it check out my ukulele stringband : http://www.myspace.com/mightyghostsofheaven Good luck! Ukuleles and Pearl Jam- two great tastes that go great together! viva la uke!
    Post edited by TheGhost on
    Your light made us stars
    Here's a Favilla on ebay for $300 - I've never played a soprano, but my baritone is louder and brighter than a Martin (I've played them side by side).

http://cgi.ebay.com/FAVILLA-Soprano-uku ... .m20.l1116
    Your light made us stars
  • veddermanvedderman Posts: 801
    i never thought ukuleles can cost up to 400 pounds! thanks for the link. there are so many brands and types! :P it's hard to choose. do you know what kind did eddie play on 2006 tour?
    2000 Ljubljana
    2006 Vienna, Zagreb
    2007 Munich
    2009 Berlin
    2010 Dublin, Belfast, Berlin, Venice
    2011 Montreal, Toronto 1&2
    2012 Manchester 1&2, Amsterdam 1&2, Prague, Berlin 1&2, EV Manchester
    2013 Worcester 1&2, Brooklyn 1&2
    2014 Amsterdam 1&2, Manchester 1&2, Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2017 EV Firenze, Taormina 1&2
    2018 Amsterdam 1&2, Padova, Prague, Krakow, Berlin
    2019 EV Firenze
    Sorry, not sure what he was playing (something made in Hawaii, I would guess) I know he plays a soprano, if that's any help... There are plenty of great ukes around for a lot less than $300, so keep looking :D
    Your light made us stars