Options

Lay some truth on me...

cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
edited June 2009 in The Porch
Ok, I need some serious advice from people who have a lot more experience getting tickets to "sold out" shows than I do. And no, this isn't a "how to I buy tix thread"...I know there are a ton of those around. This is more of a "what would you do" kind of thread.

Here's the deal:
I live in Pittsburgh. I got married several months ago and was unable to take a proper honeymoon at the time. My husband and I had decided a while back to go to Toronto for a week. We had made plans to go in August, and then, PJ announced the Aug 21 show (to which I could not get tix, 10c or otherwise, obviously).

I have of course been frantically wondering about how to proceed with getting tickets (checking on here, checking TM, stub hub, ebay, ticketsnow, etc etc etc), at the expense of actually planning and getting excited about spending time in a great city with my new husband.

If I had already gotten tix, and we were going to the show during the honeymoon, that wouldn't be a problem for him at all, as he is also a fan. HOWEVER, my incessant worrying about HOW to get tix is causing some friction and sadness all around. He has even put a moratorium on all PJ talk for this whole week!

My question to you guys is: How should I proceed:
1. Wait until we get there and try to get tix from the venue, TM or scalpers and endure the constant worry until then and the possible heartbreak of being shut out at the door?
2. Forgo the concert altogether and hope for a date closer to me in the future?
3. Bite the bullet and buy ridiculously expensive tix from a resale outlet but be spared the worry and frustration of not having it "planned"?

Sorry...I realize this is a really personal issue I have to just figure out and I really appreciate anyone who wants to indulge me with an answer. I haven't been around the block that many times and I figured there may be some sagely advice to be had on this board. :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    I've never been in your situation when it comes to finding tickets to a sold out show.

My advice to you would be:

1-Plan your honeymoon for Toronto during the week PJ is playing, go regardless of whether you have tickets or not. This seemed to be the original plan, stick with it.

2-Keep trying for tickets in all the places you have been, you never know what you might find.

3-Check for scalpers outside the venue day of the show if you don't find anything sooner. Last resort tickets.

4-Lastly, don't let this come between you & your husband. If you have to skip this concert then maybe that is the best thing for you.

Good luck!
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    WOW.........that's a pickle!

Considering this is PJ's 1st show in a YEAR :shock: (on this side of the pond) I might be inclined to think this show will be a tough one for scoring tickets at the show. However.......there are a TON of people hitting Chicago for the 2-fer. So you may get lucky. I have many friends who score tickets all the time at the show. Personally, I would loose my mind waiting......it just couldnt be an option for me.

If I had to use an after market ticket source, it would definatley be stubhub, Ive used them in the past and if you wait till a few days before the show the prices ususally go way down.

Good luck........hope I helped just a little :P

CONGRATS too!!!
    How I choose to feel......is how I am.
  • Options
    JR86440JR86440 Posts: 739
    I would wait until a few days before the show. go to stubhub or razorgator. I bet the prices will come down a decent amount. Who knows the next time they will be near you. If I were going to a city PJ was playing in I would go no matter what..Even if you are in sec 300 it will be better than not going at all...
  • Options
    Jammin2PearlJammin2Pearl Posts: 266
    Option 3.

Just bite the bullet and buy tickets. This way you do not have to worry about it.

At that point, all you have to do is plan your honeymoon and not have to really worry about anything.

If you dont buy your tickets ahead of time, 'not having tickets' will be hanging over your head up until the show. I would hate to be worried and stressed over getting tickets especially on my honeymoon.

Just buy the tickets, chalk it up to a travel expense, and plan the rest of your trip worry free.

And what if you say 'fuck it' and try to buy tickets while you are there..and you miss out..man I would HATE to be your husband on this 'honeymoon'. Sounds like 3months of stress just for another week of stress but just in a different city.
  • Options
    hitmanhitman Posts: 469
    as someone who went to Toronto for their honeymoon, about 9 years ago, i can say that a shared concert experience during the week will definitely be something for you both to remember. we saw our favorite shared band, the tragically hip, downtown at the much music studios (canadian MTV, but with actual music!) and it was great...a free show and they opened the place up to the street...

i advise you to try like hell to get tix.... money be damned! 20 years from now, would you rather have the $500 or whatever... or the memories???
  • Options
    GTFLYGIRLGTFLYGIRL NewYork Posts: 720
    It's your honeymoon and you both love pearl jam and want to go to the show.

the stress of not having tickets in hand is creating tension in the relationship and in the planning of your honeymoon?

without a doubt... i would 100% buy me some tix to the show now or in the very near future

post on the board in the looking for tix thread

start a thread

and search out stubhub

i'd buy the tix... NO DOUBT ABOUT IT

but im kind of a crazy person. ;)
  • Options
    rrpj1979rrpj1979 Posts: 36
    I'm in the exact same boat and I live in Toronto.
    I'm planning on buying a few days before the concert. If tickets don't drop in price I will scalp them outside the venue. I'll miss the opening song "Release" and buy them after...who knows, might get them for face??? :lol: wouldn't that me a miracle :o
  • Options
    HorizonHorizon Posts: 3
    Congrats for the wedding! I live in Montreal and I will be in Toronto for this show. I bought my ticket on ebay. Even if I paid a little bit more than the price on the ticket Im sure that I will have a good time without the stress of not being sure if I'll be able to get in. Nevermind the price ... do it for the memories!
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    forget about tickets to the show and plan your trip ... keep the night of the show open ... few weeks leading up to the show - try and score tickets ...
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    i havent been watching toronto tix but a general rule is that ebay is cheaper than stubhub type places

i would just buy something now and be done with it

as well as don't be so annoying about it... your husband had to put a moratorium on PJ talk... really??? don't YOU see that as a problem?

based on the moratorium AND the fact that you created this thread

i don't think any "truth" you get is going to make any difference ... you need to buy the tickets now and be done with it

other wise it will be you and some other guy outside the venue getting shut out while your husband is home enjoying his new studio apartment with his new girlfriend who likes Hip Hop ;)

do not listen to these people who are telling you to wait... they're telling you what they would do... not what you should do
  • Options
    i havent been watching toronto tix but a general rule is that ebay is cheaper than stubhub type places

i would just buy something now and be done with it

as well as don't be so annoying about it... your husband had to put a moratorium on PJ talk... really??? don't YOU see that as a problem?

based on the moratorium AND the fact that you created this thread

i don't think any "truth" you get is going to make any difference ... you need to buy the tickets now and be done with it

other wise it will be you and some other guy outside the venue getting shut out while your husband is home enjoying his new studio apartment with his new girlfriend who likes Hip Hop ;)

do not listen to these people who are telling you to wait... they're telling you what they would do... not what you should do

HA! I like you, you're sassy.
    I know, it IS a problem that I have become so obsessed of late....and I am working on that! Seriously!

I was all gung-ho for just going to Toronto and waiting it out, but I have seen so many people who were also shut out of Toronto that I began to worry that waiting would NOT be the best option and I would get shut-out at the venue. And while I would get over it and not let it ruin my honeymoon, I would probably be pretty intolerable for the night.

Good suggestions all around though.....I'm going to have to let this one percolate a bit.
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    cdp1223 wrote:

I know, it IS a problem that I have become so obsessed of late....and I am working on that! Seriously!

I was all gung-ho for just going to Toronto and waiting it out, but I have seen so many people who were also shut out of Toronto that I began to worry that waiting would NOT be the best option and I would get shut-out at the venue. And while I would get over it and not let it ruin my honeymoon, I would probably be pretty intolerable for the night.

Good suggestions all around though.....I'm going to have to let this one percolate a bit.

I'm going to go against the grain and say you should definitely, absolutely, 100% wait to buy tickets. Like some of the others have said, plan the trip that week, and keep that night open. If you can be patient, you WILL get tickets. I've been to well over 100 concerts in my life, and have shown up without a ticket countless times. I've never been shut out, not even to "sold out" club shows.

This show is not The Vic. This is a huge ampitheater with thousands and thousands of tickets. There will be ticket to be had, no question. The closer we get to the show, the more tickets will pop up here as well. You just have to be patient.

Here is the worst case scenario: you arrive and there are no tickets at the door (there usually are), and only the scalpers are selling tickets outside at inflated prices. If you wait until after the opening band is done to approach the scalpers, the price will start dropping...The closer it gets to PJ, the more the price will drop. If you are REALLY patient, and wait until PJ has started playing their first song, you will find bargain bin prices as the scalpers dump their tickets on whomever is left standing.

So I say wait.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    edited May 2009
    Seeing that you're going to Toronto for your honeymoon, of all reasons, I think you should try and step back and look at the big picture from a different perspective.

I'm a lot like you with PJ, in fact, Hubby has put moratoriums on me before for being obsessed with PJ and non-stop talk of trying to get tickets. But this is your honeymoon...I don't know, I think this one time, you should think about the real reason you're going to Toronto, and not for PJ. You never know, you may end up with tickets at the last minute. I would still try and get the tickets as it gets closer, but don't forget that this is your honeymoon, is the anxiety worth it?

Sorry for being the sap.

ETA: You must realize that you're talking to a bunch of die-hards on here who are biased to PJ over a new husband, right? Of course, most of us here aren't going to tell you to enjoy your honeymoon....except me. ;)
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
  • Options
    billyruffbillyruff Posts: 534
    also ticketmaster has a habit of releasing tics as they reconfigure the area...keep trying.....you might get lucky!!!
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Seeing that you're going to Toronto for your honeymoon, of all reasons, I think you should try and step back and look at the big picture from a different perspective.

I'm a lot like you with PJ, in fact, Hubby has put moratoriums on me before for being obsessed with PJ and non-stop talk of trying to get tickets. But this is your honeymoon...I don't know, I think this one time, you should think about the real reason you're going to Toronto, and not for PJ. You never know, you may end up with tickets at the last minute. I would still try and get the tickets as it gets closer, but don't forget that this is your honeymoon, is the anxiety worth it?

Sorry for being the sap.

ETA: You must realize that you're talking to a bunch of die-hards on here who are biased to PJ over a new husband, right? Of course, most of us here aren't going to tell you to enjoy your honeymoon....except me. ;)

Hah, YES I realize that I am seeking advice from those who might just be, ahem, biased...
    I am definitely keeping a bit of perspective on the whole situation, honest. We DID get to have a very "mini" honeymoon (2 days) between my husband's conferences. But also, we have been living together for a long time and to be honest, this is more of a really nice vacation than the typical romantic honeymoon.
    We do still want romance, but I think the fun of going to a much-anticipated show together would be a great memory that we would really appreciate years from now. (Sorry, we are like anti-saps!)

But yeah, you make really valid points--the whole lot of you!
  • Options
    spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    don't stress at all. it's not a farewell tour and it's not a small club. buy tickets outside the venue, day of the show. it really is that easy. worst case scenario is you pay double, which on a honeymoon really ain't much. i've been to at least 10 sold out shows and with $40 more than face value and some patience, always got in.
  • Options
    Dissident67Dissident67 Posts: 565
    I haven't read this whole thread so this might have been posted already but some good advice is a day before the show, if you do go to Toronto, get tickets off of stub hub as the price will probably have come down dramatically and because within 2 days of the event if you buy tickets on stub hub you just have to pick them up at the Toronto stubhub location. I did this once for Yankee tickets in New York and it worked out very well, and the tickets turned out to be face value, even though they were listed for higher a week earlier. Hope everything works out for you.
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,508
    I would keep your eyes peeled for people selling tickets at face value on here. A lot of times things come up, weddings, funerals, births, work. Sometimes people cant go, so you will do yourself no harm in waiting.

but, when it comes down to it, bite the bullet, spring for the expensive tickets.

You will never be upset with a concert you went to but werent supposed to....

but you will always wonder about the concernt that you didnt go to, but wish you did....
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    I agree with Jeanwah. If you want to have a happy husband, remember it's supposed to be your honeymoon and put the PJ tickets on the back burner.

If you do that, most likely, some tickets will turn up between now and then and THEN you'll have both your happy husband and some tickets.

Just check here every night to see if anyone puts them up closer to the day.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    cdp1223 wrote:

haha... glad my sass came through :)

if you have money to spend then you won't get shut out... but you could end up with crappy tix

personally i'm a ticket snob and would HATE ending up on the lawn ... but i guess it's better than nothing
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,169
    cdp1223 wrote:
    Ok, I need some serious advice from people who have a lot more experience getting tickets to "sold out" shows than I do. And no, this isn't a "how to I buy tix thread"...I know there are a ton of those around. This is more of a "what would you do" kind of thread.

Here's the deal:
    I live in Pittsburgh. I got married several months ago and was unable to take a proper honeymoon at the time. My husband and I had decided a while back to go to Toronto for a week. We had made plans to go in August, and then, PJ announced the Aug 21 show (to which I could not get tix, 10c or otherwise, obviously).

I have of course been frantically wondering about how to proceed with getting tickets (checking on here, checking TM, stub hub, ebay, ticketsnow, etc etc etc), at the expense of actually planning and getting excited about spending time in a great city with my new husband.

If I had already gotten tix, and we were going to the show during the honeymoon, that wouldn't be a problem for him at all, as he is also a fan. HOWEVER, my incessant worrying about HOW to get tix is causing some friction and sadness all around. He has even put a moratorium on all PJ talk for this whole week!

My question to you guys is: How should I proceed:
    1. Wait until we get there and try to get tix from the venue, TM or scalpers and endure the constant worry until then and the possible heartbreak of being shut out at the door?
    2. Forgo the concert altogether and hope for a date closer to me in the future?
    3. Bite the bullet and buy ridiculously expensive tix from a resale outlet but be spared the worry and frustration of not having it "planned"?

Sorry...I realize this is a really personal issue I have to just figure out and I really appreciate anyone who wants to indulge me with an answer. I haven't been around the block that many times and I figured there may be some sagely advice to be had on this board. :)
    WELL SAID
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”