Options

Favorite writers...

craigbcraigb Posts: 806
edited August 2009 in All Encompassing Trip
Who is your favorite author, and why?

Mine is George Orwell. His realism and social criticism is interesting and ironically hilarious.

Second is Jonathan Safran Foer, the most devastatingly funny writer on the planet. One could just read the first page of Everything is Illuminated, and he'll be in stitches.
"Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    my top 3 would be kurt vonnegut, chuck palahniuk, and hunter s. thompson

love them all for their dark wit and creativity... just very real... something poetic in that

anyone know of any more obscure writers with a similar style? looking for something new to read
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    BlackThirteenBlackThirteen Posts: 423
    I really like Anne Lamott. I find her books to be really down to earth and she has a way of making mundane things interesting and funny. Although she is a bit overtly religious in her writing her books are still really good.
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    GRR Martin - fantasy

Why? lol... it should be self explanatory by the end of chapter 1 of this ice and fire series. but

all characters are colored in grey, including villians. Everyone is a human being. there is no such thing as a bad guy who you can't understand. some you even end up liking though they are terrible people. they might become your favorite characters, that's how good a writer he is

best battle scenes i have ever read anywhere

he doesn't make common errors of fantasy writers such as naming conventions. his names are realistic both people and place names are linguistically credible

he writes with a true middle ages ethos meaning, life is cheap among the powerful, but not among the weak

his characters react to the plot in realistic ways.

he does this and it's still very much a fantasy story

he writes WOMEN well. can you imagine?

Warning, this is not for the weak of heart. He has no problem with sex, gore and shockingly killing off important characters you grow to love. he will make you shake

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    When I was in academia: Shakespeare.

Now I'm an arsehole musician: Shakespeare.
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    mine include chuck palahnuk, orson scott card (ignoring his socio-religious views) and dr. gonzo himself, hunter s thompson.
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    When I was in academia: Shakespeare.

Now I'm an arsehole musician: Shakespeare.
    Still my favorite author as well. :oops:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    - Leo N. Tolstoi, for the variety of his topics. A giant among authors.
    - Friedrich Dürrenmatt, for his humour, his sarcasm and for the way he describes how people deal with the worst possible incident (The Visit, The Pledge).
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Bret Easton Ellis is up there for me.
    My favourite book (dune, the whole series indeed) is by Frank Herbert, so I should put him on my list.
    Philip K dick had amazing ideas and a great imagination, but unfortunately he was an awful writer.
    Bill bryson is hilarious.

there are more, but they're the first to come to mind.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Hemingway
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    Sue Townsend and Nick Hornby... I love their humour.

I also like Shakepeare, Ian McEwan, Mark Haddon and Simon Clarke.

I've always been a fan of British writers.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    sgossard3 wrote:

love them all for their dark wit and creativity... just very real... something poetic in that

anyone know of any more obscure writers with a similar style? looking for something new to read

Palahniuk is one of my favorite writers right now as well. If you ever get a chance to go see him when he does readings on his book tours, you have to go. They are a lot of fun.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
    Anything by Barbara Kingsolver....favorite is the Poisonwood Bible.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Robert Pirsig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence(An Inquiry Into Values)
    #FHP
  • Options
    RoughMixRoughMix back of a lorry Posts: 385
    P.G. Wodehouse.

Always makes me laugh out loud.
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Alessiana wrote:
    GRR Martin - fantasy

Why? lol... it should be self explanatory by the end of chapter 1 of this ice and fire series. but

all characters are colored in grey, including villians. Everyone is a human being. there is no such thing as a bad guy who you can't understand. some you even end up liking though they are terrible people. they might become your favorite characters, that's how good a writer he is

he doesn't make common errors of fantasy writers such as naming conventions. his names are realistic both people and place names are linguistically credible

he writes with a true middle ages ethos meaning, life is cheap among the powerful, but not among the weak

Warning, this is not for the weak of heart. He has no problem with sex, gore and shockingly killing off important characters you grow to love. he will make you shake

I like fantasy and i like what you described about how he writes grey characters. What are you fav books by him?

As for me i really have not read much in the past 10 years insn't that sad?
    I always liked Kurt Vonnegut and Ernest Hemingway when i was reading in school
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I used to love Anne Rice, but then she went all catholic on us and I lost interest. I have to admit, I havent read the new stuff though.

Also, Carl Hiaasen.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    Alessiana wrote:
    GRR Martin - fantasy

I like fantasy and i like what you described about how he writes grey characters. What are you fav books by him?

As for me i really have not read much in the past 10 years insn't that sad?
    I always liked Kurt Vonnegut and Ernest Hemingway when i was reading in school

Start with Game Of Thrones. This is a brilliant book. He makes make most people writing in the genre look like crap... He's not a Tolkien rip off. Not by a long shot.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    I used to love Anne Rice, but then she went all catholic on us and I lost interest. I have to admit, I havent read the new stuff though.

Also, Carl Hiaasen.

One thing about Rice is that you could take huge sections out of her later books and not miss them at all. I hate it when characters talk in circles.

Aless

Tell them.
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Stephen King has always been my favorite author.

Recently I have been reading books by Dennis Lehane (Mystic River) and Howard Zinn. Very brilliant authors.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    I've always enjoyed F. Scott Fitzgerald, the way he paints his stories makes you really feel like your roaming around during the 20's and 30's. Great escapism.
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • Options
    PJ73PJ73 Posts: 68
    I've always been a fan of Vonnegut. People say he loses his relevance as you get older, but I think that's B.S. Then again, I'm an aging idealist, so wtf do I know :D

I also enjoy Ken Kesey (read Demon Box, a collection of essays), Nick Hornby, and a recent favorite is Jonathan Lethem (Motherless Brooklyn and Fortress of Solitude). I also like Sarah Vowell (from Wait Wait Don't Tell Me) and my guilty pleasure is Ian Fleming's James Bond novels. :)

Never have enough time to read all I want to...
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Alessiana wrote:
    GRR Martin - fantasy

Storm of Swords rivals Catch-22 for the my fav novel ever... stunning book. I'm holding of on book 4 until the new one's out though! I never found his violence overwhelming, but maybe I've been desensitized. I've found a lot of fantasy readers are surprisingly prudish.
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:

The only Palahniuk book I ever read was Choke, and I thought it sucked terribly. As lame and poser-hip/trendy as could be.

I like Vonnegut, but find that his books aren't particularly memorable. The plots all kind of blur together and you end up just reading the same old philosophy. I agree with it, and they're always light, entertaining reads, but I always feel a bit underwhelmed after a Vonnegut novel. Anyway, I didn't post this to rip on your favs (well, I do like ripping on Palahniuk), but because an author you may like is Tom Robbins. He's similar to Vonnegut in style.
  • Options
    Stephen King has always been my favorite author.

Recently I have been reading books by Dennis Lehane (Mystic River) and Howard Zinn. Very brilliant authors.

Lehane is awesome. I am a huge hard-boiled detective novel fan, so I love his Gennaro/Kenzie series.

My favs:

Literary: Hemingway, Dostoevsky, Graham Greene
    Fantasy: George RR Martin, JRR Tolkien (actually did my undergrad thesis on the Silmarillion)
    Mystery: Dennis Lehane, Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, Ken Bruen
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    The only Palahniuk book I ever read was Choke, and I thought it sucked terribly. As lame and poser-hip/trendy as could be.

I like Vonnegut, but find that his books aren't particularly memorable. The plots all kind of blur together and you end up just reading the same old philosophy. I agree with it, and they're always light, entertaining reads, but I always feel a bit underwhelmed after a Vonnegut novel. Anyway, I didn't post this to rip on your favs (well, I do like ripping on Palahniuk), but because an author you may like is Tom Robbins. He's similar to Vonnegut in style.
    thanks for the recommendation... ill check it out

i would recommend you give chuck another shot... but if you dont like one thing of his than he probably just isnt for you... theyre all pretty similar... from what ive read about him biographically though i cant really pick up on any insincerity (or "poser"ness) in his work... kindof like vonnegut, his protagonists (if you can call them that) are usually just thinly veiled self-portraits

the main thing i love about palahniuk and vonnegut are their utter disregard for how a book should be formatted... i know theres plenty of contemporary writers doing that these days but theyre the first i came across and it was very refreshing
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    PJ73PJ73 Posts: 68
    Has anyone here read Haruki Murakami? I've read only Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, but he has several others that many of my friends have liked.

I'm curious if EV read Hard-Boiled. One of the themes of the books was a person's shadow being their soul and how it follows you everywhere (I can't really explain it well w/o giving away any of the plot). I kept thinking of this when I hear Far Behind b/c the imagery was very similar to me.

Give him a chance - its very surreal storytelling.

PJ73
  • Options
    StereotypeStereotype Maribor, Slovenia Posts: 885
    Yeah, I've read Murakami. Not bad at all.

My favourite at the moment are: Fernando Pessoa, F. M. Dostojevski, Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Kurt Vonnegut.
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

• Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    I think Roald Dahl and Douglas Adams are my all-time favourite authors. Both wrote smart and funny books with a "meaningn".

I also love Shakespeare (Hamlet being my favourite play) but I should brush up on his works. It's been a while since I've read that stuff.

There are tons of other writers whose books I love but I think that's my top three right there. :)
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    William Shakespeare ( Fave is Macbeth), Edgar Allen Poe, Clive Cussler, and Jack Higgins.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    sgossard3 wrote:

I love vonnegut and HST, who's the other guy?