Options

Vedder on Cat Power's "You Are Free" LP

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,948
edited June 2009 in The Porch
400600pxcatpoweryouaref.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Are_Free

http://www.insound.com/Cat_Power_You_Ar ... /INS16525/

VINYL FORMAT. The long awaited new album from one of the most powerful voices and minds of her generation or any other, "You Are Free" marks Chan Marshall's first album of original material in nearly four years. Achingly beautiful and carefully crafted, "You Are Free" is most assuredly not easy listening. Great albums rarely are. Features guest appearances from Bill Callahan and (no joke) Eddie Vedder and Dave Grohl.

3."Good Woman (featuring Eddie Vedder)" – 3:58
14."Evolution (featuring Eddie Vedder)" – 4:44

$17.99? LP? *bought!

:mrgreen:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Oh wow!!!! Thanks for posting. I've been looking forward to some new Cat Power for a while but this is like extra icing on the cake!
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,245
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    Oh wow!!!! Thanks for posting. I've been looking forward to some new Cat Power for a while but this is like extra icing on the cake!

I picked this up years ago on Vinyl. Its a nice listen. But its not new.
  • Options
    gremmiedotnetgremmiedotnet Posts: 345
    they're good tracks and you can find them on gremmie.net in the b-sides section
  • Options
    PJGARDEN wrote:

Is this only available on vinyl?
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    great record.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    PJGARDEN wrote:

Is this only available on vinyl?

it's on cd too! was searching for online vedder goodies, and this vinyl caught my eye. :)
  • Options
    Just ordered it! Thanks guys!
  • Options
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    Just ordered it! Thanks guys!

np! :)
  • Options
    Nice--thanks. How can I get "good woman" as an mp3?
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

go to gremmie.net
    go to the b-sides section
    right click "save as"
    listen. 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    there is also a sweet 2lp ramones record "we're outta here" .. there. but it's backordered!
  • Options
    serpent boyserpent boy Virginia Beach Posts: 372
    I love this record. It's some of Chan's finest work, though I'm really digging her latest, more confident direction with Jukebox/Dark End.
    00: Va Beach, 03: Bristow, 04: Reading, 05: Atlantic City 2x
    06: Camden, Washington DC, 08: Va Beach, Washington DC
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    chan marshall .... great voice ... and she's easy on the eyes too ... ;)

slide_visionaries_marshall.jpg
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:

treewrite.gif
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    Good Woman is a pretty great song.
  • Options
    yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    I love Cat Power.. I stumbled onto her a few years back, great music to kick back to.
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:

go to gremmie.net
    go to the b-sides section
    right click "save as"
    listen. 8-)
    Yep, I'm retarded. Cheers.
  • Options
    PearlJamPatriotPearlJamPatriot Posts: 2,426
    jimed14 wrote:

Indeed she is!
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Have you ever seen her live? She likes the stage lights low... low to the point where if you aren't close, you don't see much.
    I've only seen her at General Admission standing room... and she is pretty fucking great. I love her strangely odd cover songs.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    Cosmo wrote:
    Have you ever seen her live? She likes the stage lights low... low to the point where if you aren't close, you don't see much.
    I've only seen her at General Admission standing room... and she is pretty fucking great. I love her strangely odd cover songs.
    We saw her last year for the Jukebox tour... there wasn't any low lighting and I was about 8 feet away from her. She was nervous at first (she was known to drink a little too much before a show to calm her nerves) but she soon overcame it and seemed to enjoy performing as much as the 100 odd strong audience liked watching. I'd give my right arm to see her again to be honest, it was such an intimate show and it's amazing how that voice comes out of that little woman! Regardless of what she looks like, boys :roll:

You Are Free certainly isn't new... and people shouldn't be picking it up just because Eddie's on it... It's a fucking good album in it's own right! ;)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    lurkinlurkin Posts: 77
    Cat Power/Chan Marshall is a real favorite of mine.

Gotta say thanks to Sonic Youth (I think they were the curators that year) for putting her on the ATP bill back in 2002, @ UCLA. That was the 1st time I'd actually heard her, after having read about her a little. She was on just before or just after EV, I thought.

She completely charmed and captivated me in that short performance. So raw, and like the poster stated earlier, what a voice!

ITA that you shouldn't buy this just because EV is on the album. It is definitely one of my favorites of her's. EV's part is so subtle, on both tracks.

You know what? I've changed my mind...go ahead and buy it for that reason alone. You will then be turned on to another really great artist.
  • Options
    Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    lurkin wrote:
    You know what? I've changed my mind...go ahead and buy it for that reason alone. You will then be turned on to another really great artist.

Good point... Like you said, Ed's voice is very subtle, but hopefully people will discover that her voice and song writing skills are incredible and it will encourage people to listen more to her wonderful talent and not just because the name 'Eddie Vedder' is attached.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    If you guys are buying that album for Ed's contribution you'll be disappointed....you can barely tell he's on the album...its only like two songs, and its such a background vocal its tough to pick out. I thought the album was kind of draining.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    has anybody yet received this copy from insound? i'm still waiting! :|
  • Options
    Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    demetrios wrote:

when did you order it? It came out like four years!
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:

when did you order it? It came out like four years!

i ordered the vinyl the day i posted this thread.
    i've already had the cd! but didn't know it was pressed on vinyl! :|
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    <3 Cat Power... I've seen her perform 4 times... she's sometimes a little drunk on stage but so is someone else we all know and love! hehe.

You Are Free is an amazing record.
  • Options
    just received today! :)

HPIM0023-1.jpg

did know but it also includes inside a link where you can download the whole album, mp3 style!
    nice touch! but i'll spin the black circle tonight anyway's! :mrgreen: