Options

What if you were asked to write thoughts on Ten in Deep?

TaftTaft Posts: 453
edited May 2009 in The Porch
In the first 2 pages of the new Deep, they ask a bunch of famous people (actors, athletes, muscians) for some quick thoughts on Ten, and their favorite song.

I thought it would be cool to get a collection of what we would all have written, I'll start:

"Ten feels like my first love...I was a soph. in High School when it came out, and to this day, I can recall the feelings it invoked in me, literally changing parts of my life forever. I knew good music, Beatles, Led Zep, Doors etc...but Ten was fresh, and struck a personal chord in my brain that I didn't know existed. My favorite song from Ten has evolved and changed many times over the years, but I can still remember listening to Black on repeat in 1992 and thinking to myself that nothing has ever sounded so good....ever."

-Taft

Anyone else?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    I'm sure I could do better than Laird Hamilton that's for sure. what he wrote zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz snooze.
  • Options
    Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    For me this album was my transition into my teenage years. My musical taste evolved after Ten. It was the beginning of discovering myself and the young adult that I wanted to be. I've got a huge appreciation for this album.

Nice thread. :)
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • Options
    NoOne'sRivalNoOne'sRival Posts: 299
    OMG! So much was happening in my life at the time TEN was released. I met the man I was to marry during that time frame (even though he was not a lover of the same music as I...that thing about opposites attracting, etc.) AND, I had grown out of the teenage angst that the album represented a lot of but I felt every raw emotion because I wasn't too far detached (being only a few years younger than Mr. V himself...ok, so I'm a few years older than most on this board) from the feelings that every lyric brought forth. I was in a new love but felt all the pain of the loves that had left me when hearing BLACK, then OCEANS gave me hope that no matter what trials this new love brought, we would endure. Of course, just the story-telling of JEREMY, ALIVE and EVENFLOW blew me away. I love when a song tells a story the way those did. Every song meant something different and moved me so drastically, but EVERY SONG moved me! I knew no matter where this "new love" wound up, I would be forever in love with Pearl Jam! PS: We've been married now for 17 years, have two great kids and love beyond description, and he's still not a big fan...but I more than make up for it.
    Thanks for posting this forum!
    "Dream the dream others then...you will be no one's RIVAL!"
    "Doo do do do doo do doo, Doo do do do doo do doo..."
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    My Ten story begins in a dive bar in West Philly. I was out with co-workers after work. Knowing I was a big music fan, my friend asked me if I had heard of this band called Pearl Jam (I had not). He played Black on the juke box and I was hooked, right then and there.

At the time, the rotation on my cd player consisted primarily of anything Who or Pete Townshend. When I bought Ten, I almost felt guilty that I was listening to so much PJ instead.

My friend said, you don’t need to feel guilty, Eddie Vedder is as big a Pete Townshend fan as you are.

And I said, who’s Eddie Vedder?

Needless to say, I’ve learned a lot more about PJ since then. :lol:
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    A friend lent me TEN it sat there for like a week i didn't even listen to it, one night i was sitting all alone watching tv i turned to mtv and saw the Evenflow video and was wtf band is this when i realized it was PJ i immediatly put TEN into my cd player and was hooked i heard Release and thought the band that i've been waiting for is here, :mrgreen::mrgreen: i immediatly saw that the cover read writte to us at tenclub for any info on the band wich i did low and behold who would of thought so much would come with me writting a letter stating my facination with the band 35 shows later and allways great opp to get sick seats at the shows it adds up to probably the best investment i have made :D:D ...see you in the front :mrgreen: ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    KalEl31KalEl31 Posts: 26
    When you're 11 or 12 years old, and you've grown up on the Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys, etc... you get to a point where you want to find something that's your own, not something that your dad said, "listen to this." This was Ten. A guy named Jason in my French class said, "you'll love these two CDs..." and he let me borrow Ten and Cowboys from Hell. That was about all I needed. I still have my Ten CD from 1992 or 1993. It's been around the world with me.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I had my Ten and listened to it to.

"First heard it back 4 or 5 years ago, it took a while to grow on me as I was used to loud short fast punk songs but this music clicked with me and from there on I was interested in vocals and writing. The songs are full of passion and I can relate to every song on the album"
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,640
    I know that is's an all guy band writing/making the music, but I think Ten really spoke to women, but in a way that empowered rather than objectified.

This is what felt so right about it, 1st attracted me to their music, and keeps me here today.
  • Options
    TaftTaft Posts: 453
    Good ones so far!
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    i wasnt alive yet when Ten came out but i loved it hearing it years later as a kid.
    Its just so different from other musicians and it gives me this feeling no other songs can especially the song Garden. Something about it, its so powerful and bold. I'd pour more of my heart into this post but im too lazy to right now.

It'd be cool if they got some feedback from the nonfamous fans.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,691
    First time I ever heard Ten, I was in Manchester, CT of all places and I was in my cousins car and we were driving to the beach. It was late June or early July and as my memory serves he had Ten on tape, along with Nirvana's Nevermind. He put Ten in the tape deck (sounds funny now) and even flow was the first PJ to reach my ears. All I heard was this guy singing so god damn fast but it sounded like an orgasm to my ears!! I was like, "what the fuck is this"?! I never heard anything like it before in my life. Its like everything I ever wanted a song to sound like, musically and lyrically. I was blown away. I felt like I was born that day. No lie. Then Why Go, Jeremy, Black, Porch, Garden and Release. It was maybe the best day of my life now that I look back. Like a gift that keeps on giving 17 or 18 years later. I remeber spending the rest of that summer, fuck the whole next year, sitiing on my bed with my walkman just listening to Ten over, over and over again. I couldnt get enough. Never had I experienced anything like that in my life. The funny thing is in May, my friends asked if I wanted to go to see Lollapoluza to see the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. The only song I really knew was Under the Bridge, but was pumped to go to a real rock concert. ( I was 15) Little did I know Pearl Jam was playing. After seeing them, I was hooked for life. Best summer of my life. No bills, playing baseball, no responsiblities or worries, the beach and PEARL JAM. Thanks.