Options

Things to see along the road - Toronto to Chicago

bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
edited May 2009 in The Porch
I have come up to Toronto several times from the Buffalo side. This will be my first time traveling from Toronto to Chicago.

Does anyone happen to have any suggestions for sights to see along the way?
“This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Laf9124Laf9124 Posts: 342
    Will you be going through Port Huron, Michigan and then down to Indiana over to Chicago? Is that your route?
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    There really isn't much. But don't miss Gary, IN :mrgreen:
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    Duck when you drive through it! ;)
  • Options
    DB41DB41 Posts: 539
    BeerBaron wrote:

The hometown of Michael Jackson!

I did the drive from Toronto to Chicago last summer for my cousin's wedding.... there's really nothing.
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    Deebs41 wrote:
    BeerBaron wrote:

I did the drive from Toronto to Chicago last summer for my cousin's wedding.... there's really nothing.
    That's why I'm flying from buffalo after the T.O. Show.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    DB41DB41 Posts: 539
    Deebs41 wrote:
    BeerBaron wrote:

That's why I'm flying from buffalo after the T.O. Show.

To Gary, Indiana to see where the King of Pop grew up???
    Awesome!
  • Options
    Deebs41 wrote:

To Gary, Indiana to see where the King of Pop grew up???
    Awesome!
    of course.... michael is my man! ;)
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,576
    Laf9124 wrote:
    Will you be going through Port Huron, Michigan and then down to Indiana over to Chicago? Is that your route?

i'd hope so, that's the most direct route to take,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    boxorbagboxorbag Posts: 246
    You could hit Indiana Dunes State Park on the way. It is a unique area pretty close to chicago. Also the area around New Buffalo on the Michigan Indiana border has some things to offer. Do a search on these areas it would be a great time to visit them in august. If not Chicago has tons to do in the summer.
  • Options
    Yeah but it's also the most God awful boring route to take. Coming from someone who lived in Detroit and made the drive to both Chicago and TO to see PJ, it's the worst. My wife would tell you there's an outlet mall in Michigan City, Indiana...that's a worthwhile stop, but past that nada.
  • Options
    Laf9124 wrote:
    Yeah but it's also the most God awful boring route to take. Coming from someone who lived in Detroit and made the drive to both Chicago and TO to see PJ, it's the worst. My wife would tell you there's an outlet mall in Michigan City, Indiana...that's a worthwhile stop, but past that nada.

i find the drive from Toronto to Chicago more entertaining than the drive from Toronto to NYC - i suppose the constant change of scenery helps quite a bit,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    Laf9124 wrote:

i find the drive from Toronto to Chicago more entertaining than the drive from Toronto to NYC - i suppose the constant change of scenery helps quite a bit,...
    just did philly to T.O. the last 3 hours made me a bit crazy.
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    Laf9124 wrote:

just did philly to T.O. the last 3 hours made me a bit crazy.

how was the Ben Harper show at the Phoenix?

i'll be doing the Toronto to Trevose, PA drive for a wedding in early July,...

• Options
    100 Pacer wrote:

it was awesome... though I'm not too fond of the set up in that place (how the entrance to the room is in the front... cause for a lot of pushing and a fight even)

i'll be back that way in July for Xavier Rudd shows... hopefully with a friend though!
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:

it was awesome... though I'm not too fond of the set up in that place (how the entrance to the room is in the front... cause for a lot of pushing and a fight even)

i'll be back that way in July for Xavier Rudd shows... hopefully with a friend though!

you came up here solo for the Ben Harper show?

it's funny, i always found it easier to slide right back up front of the crowd at that venue, mind you i could get away with it but i've taken a good hit or two over the years there as well during shows hehe ;)

• Options
    100 Pacer wrote:

it's funny, i always found it easier to slide right back up front of the crowd at that venue, mind you i could get away with it but i've taken a good hit or two over the years there as well during shows hehe ;)
    yep I drove the 10 hrs solo .... though on the way home it became 11 plus hours since I ran out of gas on the turnpike :?

yeah it's easy to slip up front there... but we were there early and were pissed at the people "slipping" their way up in front of us!
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:

yep I drove the 10 hrs solo .... though on the way home it became 11 plus hours since I ran out of gas on the turnpike :?

yeah it's easy to slip up front there... but we were there early and were pissed at the people "slipping" their way up in front of us!

those damn Torontonians! ;)

• Options
    100 Pacer wrote:

I was with a Canadian... thought I'd be safe! :P

i did get a high five from the opener lead singer.... :) (it was cooler then it sounds!)
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:

i did get a high five from the opener lead singer.... :) (it was cooler then it sounds!)

check the pic at the bottom of the page, see yourself?!

http://www.blogto.com/music/2009/05/ben_harper_and_relentless_7_fire_up_the_phoenix/

• Options
    i did get a high five from the opener lead singer.... (it was cooler then it sounds!)

Was it the Henry Clay People? They were pretty good last night here in Chicago.
  • Options
    Laf9124 wrote:
    i did get a high five from the opener lead singer.... (it was cooler then it sounds!)

Was it the Henry Clay People? They were pretty good last night here in Chicago.
    yes it was... i met them after the Philly show... so during one part he says something about toronto being cool... so I screamed... "what about philly?!"
    ha laughed and said yeah philly too. so the next song he jumps down and climbs the rails and high fives me! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    100 Pacer wrote:

http://www.blogto.com/music/2009/05/ben_harper_and_relentless_7_fire_up_the_phoenix/
    the guy in the plaid on the left.... i was behind him!!! And Cinnamon Girl was next to me!
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:

the guy in the plaid on the left.... i was behind him!!! And Cinnamon Girl was next to me!

coolio!

• Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    100 Pacer wrote:

coolio!
    will I see you at the T.O. show??!!
  • Options

yeah, no doubt - look for BeerBaron, i should be nearby,...

also heading to the Chicago shows. :)

• Options
    100 Pacer wrote:

planning to drink with him and allison before hand!
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:

planning to drink with him and allison before hand!

he'll be one very excited Jammer at the Toronto concert!

• Options
    100 Pacer wrote:

home town turf???
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:

home town turf???

you better ask him about the details, not sure i should be spilling the beans here!

;)

• Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    you better ask him about the details, not sure i should be spilling the beans here!

;)
    PM question.... sent! :shock: