Options

***Where should I stay in Philly?***

SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
edited June 2009 in The Porch
...can a local recommend a perfect hotel in downtown and real close to the subway to get to Upper Darby? Thanks so much.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    please
  • Options
    Bulldog88Bulldog88 Posts: 380
    You can try Embassy Suites
    http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_US/es/hotel/PHLDTES-Embassy-Suites-Philadelphia-Center-City-Pennsylvania/index.do?rand_id=ES&brand_directory=/en/es/&xch=411072768,E3GSO2MKRD0LWCSGBJF3EWQ

It's not dirt cheap but it's not too pricey. Everything else I know of offers luxury accomodations and is priced accordingly, so this may be your best bet.

The hotel is in between Race and Cherrry streets on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway.
    You can pick up the train at City Hall (about a 3-4 block walk) get on the the Market - Frankford Line (Do NOT get on the Broad Street Line) and take it to the 69th Street Terminal (this will be about a 2 block walk to the Tower Theater at 69th and Ludlow).

You really might just want to get a cab, it will be about $40. one way (approximate).
    Hope this helps! Let me know if anything is unclear ;)

Edit: The links I posted to maps of the areas didn't work..sorry!
  • Options
    How much for the subway do you think?
  • Options
    It won't be too much for the train, about $5.00

Fares details
    Station/Stop Time Products Fares Information Hints
    • CITY HALL, PA
    • MFL 69TH ST. TERMINAL (69TH AND MARKET ST) UPPER D dep
    arr 05:03 PM
    05:18 PM Sub MFL Base Fare: $2.00 (or 1 token)

• MFL 69TH ST. TERMINAL (69TH AND MARKET ST) UPPER D
    • Tower Theatre,UPPER DARBY dep
    arr 05:18 PM
    05:22 PM Walk
  • Options
    Use this link to see maps of the starting and ending destinations:

http://airs1.septa.org/bin/query.exe/en?s=CITY%20HALL,%20PA&z=MFL%2069TH%20ST.%20TERMINAL%20(69TH%20AND%20MARKET%20ST)%20UPPER%20DARBY

Change the date(I already set the locations) then click "plan my trip" in the lower left corner, then click each local area map icon next to the selected route to see the destinations. Zoom in to the 1\4 mile setting on the 69th street terminal map to see the Ludlow and 69th street intersection. This will give you a good idea of the walking distances.
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    You can take the Market/Frankford Line subway all the way to the Tower. It's $2 each way.
  • Options
    Also, I'm not too sure how late the train runs past midnight..it mught turn into bus service at that point, and then I would recommend a cab back to the city.
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    Bulldog88 wrote:
    Also, I'm not too sure how late the train runs past midnight..it mught turn into bus service at that point, and then I would recommend a cab back to the city.
    The bus would take you to 40th, where you'd get back on the El and head to 30th St Station and beyond.

If you want to keep things simple, there are a few more options along Market St so you'd be no more than a few blocks from any station. There's a Marriott and a Residence Inn right on the big square block of City Hall. There's also Lowe's at 12th and Market, which is a really nice place and you can usually find a great deal there. Plus, they have a kickass observation level way at the top of the building where the city just looks so amazing at night.

And then there's the Sheraton at 17th. And quite a few others that are just a block or so off of Market. Club Quarters is one.

I'd try hotels.com for these places, just to see the best prices. Then go to the hotel itself and call them. Say you saw "$XXX" as the best price, can you beat it?
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    Bulldog88 wrote:
    yeah i have heard from a few people that the train no longer runs after a certain times at night.
    And as you've said... instead of the bus I'd recommend a cab.
    Awesome venue but the area is a bit sketchy (not as bad as camden....)
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    Bulldog88 wrote:
    yeah i have heard from a few people that the train no longer runs after a certain times at night.

I still am not so sure that we'll have a problem with the post-midnight train shutdown. Show is 7 or 8, right? How long did Ed play last year? I honestly figured we'd all be out by 11:30 at the latest.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    Bulldog88 wrote:

I still am not so sure that we'll have a problem with the post-midnight train shutdown. Show is 7 or 8, right? How long did Ed play last year? I honestly figured we'd all be out by 11:30 at the latest.
    this is true... I keep forgetting it's not a PJ show. I am having a hard time remembering what time we were let out of the Massey Hall shows. My memory is shit.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    Yea, we should be done by 11:00 at the very latest (unless Eddie is feeling super generous :D ), so if you hop on the train directly after the show then you won't have to worry about catching buses.
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Is it not possible to stay at a hotel within walking distance of the venue?
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    bump
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,810
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Is it not possible to stay at a hotel within walking distance of the venue?

Nah. Tower's in Upper Darby, and UD is pretty much an extension of West Philly(at least that part of UD, the more you go west the better it gets) - just a little less shadier, but then again 69th Street is a seedy place. There's some shady motels nearby, but for the same distance you would to go there you would be just as close in the city somewhere and be better off. Much more to do afterward and the such.

Go with priceline and do the name-you-price option and look around the "downtown" or "university area" options.
  • Options
    Stay in Upper Darby?

Eh...I don't really recommend it. The area isn't great and the only place I know of (granted, I don't go to Upper Darby often) is Summit Inn Hotel. I don't think it's w\in walking distance, and I would totally NOT stay there. Seriously. Stay in the city and catch the train or take a cab.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the tips! I guess I would stay in the hood if it was just me, but since I'm bringing my gf we"ll head to center city!!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    cableguy119cableguy119 Posts: 114
    Theatre is not in a nice neighborhood you will be glad you stayed more towards center city. Marriot by City Hall for me. Rewards points rock. Market/Frankfort line septa.org i think is the train and bus schedules.
    So many amazing shows! Thank you.