Vinyl Records Question

satchoroyalesatchoroyale Posts: 81
edited July 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a question to pose for the many vinyl loving folks I know are out here.
This is about a problem I have seemingly only with newer pressed vinyl.
It seems that every now and then I get a vinyl record whose diameter is slightly larger than the average
33 1/3 RPM vinyl record and when I try to play it, the slightly larger size causes it to actually
rub against another part of the player, with the result being either slight audible noise and/or
actual speed variance when the rub actually occurs. My turntable is a Technics Linear Direct Drive SL-QL5
and while this might not be considered audiofile top of the line, it has served me well for many years
and through decent speakers has kept my love affair with analog vinyl alive and well.
My question is then, what is the best way for me to "shave" down the outside diameter of the record
so that I will eliminate the rubbing on the occasion vinyl record that I'm experiencing this with.
Would you suggest some sort of sand paper, some sort of nail file.
My concern is that I don't want to actually cause any warping of the record when I do it
or I'll end up just fixing one problem and creating another.
Has any other vinyl loving junkie ever experienced this issue?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know there a bunch of vinyl lovers out there.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hmm, sounds weird to me, where does the vinyl rub off? could you remove the topcover on your player? Is that where the record in rubbing off? I wouldn't wont to use sandpaper, htat's for certain! anyway good luck
    PJ - Roskilde Festival - June 30th 2000
    PJ - Heineken Jammin' Festival - July 6 2010
    PJ - Oslo, Norway - July 9 2012
    SG - Oslo, Norway - October 17 1996
  • IF256873IF256873 Posts: 11
    Hi all, I´m new in this forum and I have a question I´m sure you´ve already discussed many times. Why doesn´t Pearl Jam re-issue all the vinyl records (not remixed ones like the TEN)? They know they´d sell them for sure. Is it just a matter of business and they delay it until we are totally desperate?
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    IF256873 wrote:
    Hi all, I´m new in this forum and I have a question I´m sure you´ve already discussed many times. Why doesn´t Pearl Jam re-issue all the vinyl records (not remixed ones like the TEN)? They know they´d sell them for sure. Is it just a matter of business and they delay it until we are totally desperate?

They're presumably gonna reissue all the studio albums through Riot Act.
    DewieCox wrote:
    IF256873 wrote:

Will that be in a short term? I noticed after the remixed Ten release, you could easily buy the normal Ten vinyl.
    Also, I hope they re-issue also the Avocado one, which I only have in CD.
    IF256873 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    IF256873 wrote:

Will that be in a short term? I noticed after the remixed Ten release, you could easily buy the normal Ten vinyl.
    Also, I hope they re-issue also the Avocado one, which I only have in CD.

The reissue program is coinciding with their 20th anniversary.

S/T isn't gonna be reissued, only their Sony/Epic albums.
    As far as I know, all their studio albums are from Epic Records, aren´t they?
    IF256873 wrote:

Not S/T or Backspacer.
    DewieCox wrote:
    IF256873 wrote:

Not S/T or Backspacer.
    True, not Backspacer but I´ll be on time to buy the vinyl. Sorry I´m new in this forum, what does S/T stand for?
    The one thats referred to as Avocado is self titled(S/T). It was released on a different branch of Sony, J Records.
    DewieCox wrote:
    The one thats referred to as Avocado is self titled(S/T). It was released on a different branch of Sony, J Records.
    OK, thanks. So basically, that means that if I want all their albums in vinyl I just need to wait until they are reissued next year and pay as much as they ask me in ebay or similar websites for the S/T.

By the way, J Records belongs to Sony BMG.