Options

PSA authentic Signatures

zappa99zappa99 Posts: 285
edited May 2009 in The Porch
I really want to bid on this but I have seen so much about Pearl Jam signatures on the board. Is PSA/DNA a repituble company? Most Eddie sigs I have seen look quite different. I thought it might look cool to have all this framed together. Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3DSelling

Thanks again and thanks to those who sent me the 2 Volcom puzzle pieces I am only 2 away.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    Which pieces are you missing??
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I have no personal experience with PSA/DNA but I have heard they are reputable. Although I could forge an Eddie sig and make it look better than that. I am not saying it is not real as maybe he signed it while passing through a crowd or something, but it looks nothing like any Ed signature I have seen, from the early 90's till now.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    3 and 4. and if you have one i'd be happy to send som boots in return.
  • Options
    so real then or at least with that little certificate its real?
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    edited May 2009
    PSA/DNA is very, very good, and very reputable. With that said they still make mistakes. Quite a few from my experience, but that usually happens when they are doing a "lot" authentication with a Letter of Authenticity for the entire lot.

They have more than one person who looks at things, and they are pretty inclined to deny stuff that is real, if it is sloppy, and sadly sometimes when it is a vintage signature that they are not familiar with.

As to the autograph at hand. It is my opinion that it is 100% authentic. A 1990's version that was done quickly.

Here is a very brief history of that card.

It was listed on eBay a month or so ago for $100.00 buy it now. I love it, as I like index cards and (when I have money someday) would like to frame my posters with ticket stub and signed index cards, etc.

Anyway before I had a chance to buy it, someone (presumably the person now selling it) contacted the original seller and offered either $70.00 or $80.00 for it and the guy lowered the Buy it now price and it was gone.

I would buy it, but I don't really have the cash to spend. :(

Good luck. Hope you win it.

-Wilds
    Post edited by Wilds on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks a lot I did some checking on the net and saw that eddie used that little sperm doodle during his big pro choice era (leavin' here, 96) so it pretty limited, plus I would love the soldier field LP. Thanks for you help. (I hope 200-300 the last soldier field went for 280 so fingers crossed)
    Post edited by zappa99 on
  • Options
    Hope you win it.
  • Options
    GR8DaneGR8Dane Posts: 957
    With PSA, they usually are in a sealed case.... I don't know if it is different with an index card, but they seal them in a tamper proof case so that they cannot be opened.
    Everybody made a movie....
    Everybody had a one line.....
    Everybody misses Andy....
    We'll be seeing him in no time.... Oh Yeah.....

We are Red, we are White, we are Danish Dynamite!
  • Options
    GR8Dane wrote:
    With PSA, they usually are in a sealed case.... I don't know if it is different with an index card, but they seal them in a tamper proof case so that they cannot be opened.

That is true. Most index cards are sealed in the case. But certainly not all.

Why?

Some people like to collect the sealed cases and some like to frame their index cards.

Here is a list of index cards on eBay. looks like 90% or so are sealed and the others are free.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories

When I've had items authenticated by PSA/DNA, GAI, and JSA (mostly baseballs, but also cards, and index cards), I NEVER have them encased.

In fact I've bought a few and the first thing I do is bust them out of the case.

Just a personal preference.
  • Options
    why did Eddie change his signature so much from the early days to his pretty much standard signature of today? His current signature is so common it looks like anyone could fake it, its almost artificial. Is it because of forgeries, and he waned everyone to be able to see he could write every letter legibly?
  • Options
    Great question. I wish I had a good answer.

Most major stars go through many stages as their popularity grows and their signature changes.

However in my experience, the signature almost always gets sloppier. Here is a great link to Mark McGwire's signature as it changed through the years.

http://www.mcgwire.com/randall/autograp ... yyear.html

One baseball star whose signature got better as he got older is Mike Schmidt. His playing days signature is very sloppy and abbreviated. As he retired and was elected into the Hall of Fame his signature got better.

Ted Williams was always a hero of the autograph world. He used to help and or admonish younger players who wrote their name sloppy or illegible. He said that by signing his name that is the only time that young 'boy' is going to meet you, and that autograph should represent your respect for that meeting. Or something like that.

SO back to Eddie.

My belief is his signature has changed from a place of "hating" fame and hating the fact that people wanted his autograph, so within his early sig. you see that angst and rebellion. Now as he has become comfortable with his place in the spotlight, he has altered his signature to reflect this change in attitude.
  • Options
    200 dollars already (I'm guessing that people think it real) maybe I'll have to skip this one. Still the drastic change in eddie's sig is a good point. Early signature vs current signature? Any comments
  • Options
    evenflowmanevenflowman Posts: 1,345
    edited May 2009
    If u are buying that for the signed index card that is a horrible looking sig. Eddie has such a beutiful autograph u should get something nice like this.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g173/ ... C01278.jpg
    Post edited by evenflowman on
  • Options

private login. Couldn't access it. :(
  • Options
    evenflowmanevenflowman Posts: 1,345
    Wilds wrote:

private login. Couldn't access it. :(

Sorry got it to work
  • Options
    I think that is the generic signature you see all the time, every autograph eddie signs is like a robot