Options

United Center Tailgating

gar mcmichaelgar mcmichael Posts: 184
edited May 2009 in The Porch
Headed in from Cali for both Chicago shows and wondering about the tailgating scene at the United Center. My g/f said the United Center isn't in the greatest neighborhood. Is that accurate? What about tailgating?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,816
    Headed in from Cali for both Chicago shows and wondering about the tailgating scene at the United Center. My g/f said the United Center isn't in the greatest neighborhood. Is that accurate? What about tailgating?
    no such thing as tailgating at the united center....

i may be wrong....

but if you set up a grill and crack a few beers......

the police may just put you in handcuffs....hehehehehe

and yes...the neighborhood is a nightmare....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    58823005882300 Posts: 813
    I think if you set up a grill and cracked some cold ones at the UC, the most friendly faces you will see are the cops that cuff you. You can buy a fake ticket and some crack rock in the parking lot.
  • Options
    5882300 wrote:
    I think if you set up a grill and cracked some cold ones at the UC, the most friendly faces you will see are the cops that cuff you. You can buy a fake ticket and some crack rock in the parking lot.
    i can only imagine the original thread starter.....

when him and his wife show up at the united center....ready to tailgate.....hehehehehehe

talk about a KODAK moment......

hehehehehehe...........
  • Options
    lawguylawguy Posts: 257
    Yeah, I dont think they allow tailgating. However, there are a couple of bars close by (a block or two from the stadium). The neighborhood is pretty bad, just remember to go to the bars east of the stadium(east is towards the downtown "loop" area of chicago).
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    The neighborhood is not the best area. Skip the tailgating and go to one of the pre-parties or something.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    58823005882300 Posts: 813
    5882300 wrote:

when him and his wife show up at the united center....ready to tailgate.....hehehehehehe

hehehehehehe...........

They would get robbed of their food, beer, grill, car, tickets, money, and the KODAK they snapped the photo with. They have been trying to crack down on all of the crime in that neighborhood for years and it has never worked. I have to say it's far better than it was but that still doesn't mean shit.
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    5882300 wrote:
    5882300 wrote:

hehehehehehe...........

They would get robbed of their food, beer, grill, car, tickets, money, and the KODAK they snapped the photo with. .

:lol:
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    vedhead011vedhead011 Posts: 300
    We go to between 8 and 10 Blackhawks game a year and while I wouldn't want to live in the neighborhood of the United Center it's not the worst neighborhood I've ever been in. It was really bad around the time that the place opened, but it's gradually gotten a little better. I've got no problem walking between the Billy Goat and the UC with my wife anymore. I wonder if the reputation of the mid to late 90's is still following the arena. Again, in summation, it's not great, but it's not as bad as it used to be.
    AskPearlJam: PearlJama101-guest says: Who's idea was it for Eddie to play banjo on "Soon Forget"?
    Eddie: I don't know whose idea it was but it was turned down.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    That neighborhood is actually a LOT better than it used to be.

There are some pretty decent bars near by that I would go to.
  • Options
    chuck nevittchuck nevitt Posts: 225
    Geez, you all must be from the suburbs...I live in this so called "awful, terrible, murderous neighborhood."...Yes, it is no wrigleyville with dozens of bars, but head a few blocks east of the stadium and you would think you are in lakeview...NO TAILGATING and don't waste your time...they will take your booze.
  • Options
    Geez, you all must be from the suburbs...I live in this so called "awful, terrible, murderous neighborhood."...Yes, it is no wrigleyville with dozens of bars, but head a few blocks east of the stadium and you would think you are in lakeview...NO TAILGATING and don't waste your time...they will take your booze.
    right...

and walk 2 blocks south or 2 blocks west......

and you will think you are in camden....
  • Options
    gar mcmichaelgar mcmichael Posts: 184
    Thanks everybody for the advice. Having been to Camden more times than I can remember, I just wasn't sure if it was a scene like there. Total sh!thole, but a great place to tailgate. I'll heed everyone's advice and bring our crew to one of the pre-parties or local bars.
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834

This isn't a Alpine Valley concert so no tailgating is allowed.

UC and the area around it is a freaking dump.

Yes I'm going to both shows. lol
  • Options
    jdwyer02jdwyer02 Posts: 110
    The neighborhood is a lot better than it was.

Tailgating is not permittted but if you are a little low on cash and can't make it to one of the pre parties then have a few in your car. '03 me and my buddy (after waiting in line for tix in the rain) sat in his car and drank. No problems there.
    "Many people don't know what their life is worth. I do....70 Grand!"
  • Options
    chuck nevittchuck nevitt Posts: 225
    right...

and walk 2 blocks south or 2 blocks west......

and you will think you are in camden....

that's why i said "east"...go back to wilmette.
  • Options
    ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443

This isn't a Alpine Valley concert so no tailgating is allowed.

UC and the area around it is a freaking dump.

Yes I'm going to both shows. lol

:D
    Yeeeah that's all I got..
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • Options
    BreatheBreathe Posts: 67
    This thread gave me a some good laughs :D

If you are not from a big city, I guess this area can be a bit "intimidating", but there isn't much to worry about at the UC.

Like it was stated, you can't tailgate, but youll find plenty of bars in the area and cabs to get you around, not to mention there will be cops in every direction of the UC..lol
    My eyes have seen you
    Let them photograph your soul
    Memorize your alleys
    On an endless roll- J Morrison
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    Get inside the building.
    Do your pre-partying in Wrigleyville or something and get a cab over to the show.

I had quite a funny altercation outside the United Center in 06. The limo driver told me to get out and go straight inside, of course I didn't listen.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    go to the preparty fundraiser.....
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    PJfanJenPJfanJen Florence, SC formerly East Peoria, IL Posts: 58
    I was at the United Center the last time PJ played there, they have no tailgating signs posted all over the place, but my husband and I just hung out in the car and had a great time. The neighborhood isn't the greatest, but the parking lot is huge. Just sneak like we did.
    1998--Alpine Valley, WI
    2000--Deer Creek Music Theater, Indianapolis, IN
    2003--U of I Assembly Hall, Champaign, IL
    2003--Alpine Valley, WI
    2006--United Center, Chicago
    2014--Moline, IL
    2016--Wrigley Show # 1
    2016--Wrigley Show # 2
    2020--Baltimore--Didn't happen
    2023--Chicago United Center Night 2
    2024--Chicago Wrigley Field Night 1
    2024--Chicago Wrigley Field Night 2