Options

I have to say... Live on 2 Legs

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited December 2007 in The Porch
is the best I've heard some of these songs performed live since the early days.

Opinions?
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    It's so good it could have been a double cd. :D
  • Options
    I'd go as far as to say it 'should' have been a double CD.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    I love 'live on two legs' but my favourite live 'release' HAS to be Benaroya.
    1st time I heard I was speechless...that doesn't happen often :o
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    I love 'live on two legs' but my favourite live 'release' HAS to be Benaroya.
    1st time I heard I was speechless...that doesn't happen often :o

I think I'd put Benaroya in a different category because it's an acoustic gig.. but yep, that one is excellent as well.

• Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    I think I'd put Benaroya in a different category because it's an acoustic gig.. but yep, that one is excellent as well.

Your thread...your category....:D :p
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    Your thread...your category....:D :p

:cool:

Glad to hear it..

:D

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    I'd say it was so good they should think about releasing all of the 1998 shows on cd.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    awesome red mosquito on this disc.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,775
    I always say, I listened to that cd a MILLION times

and I mean that :D
  • Options
    doujodoujo Posts: 285
    I'd say it was so good they should think about releasing all of the 1998 shows on cd.

now you're on to something. i really want the hartford show in good quality.
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    as for some above, my favorite ive release i benaroya (I usually prefer the "soft" size of PJ against their "hard" side...)
    But LO2L is almost as good as Benaroya. The sound is perfect and, IMO, is better than the sound of 2000', 2003' and 2006's boots.
    Black on LO2L is my favorite ever.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718

Opinions?
    But it is an album from their early days. It's almost 10 years old! :p
  • Options
    But it is an album from their early days. It's almost 10 years old! :p

OK but like really, really, really early days. Wow, where does the time go? :D

• Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,559
    Best Off he goes, Red Mosguito, Hail Hail, Daughter and Nothingman!

Black is also up there with the best!

I think of 1991 - 1994 as their early days.

1998 is in the middle I'd say.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    Julien wrote:
    as for some above, my favorite ive release i benaroya (I usually prefer the "soft" size of PJ against their "hard" side...)
    But LO2L is almost as good as Benaroya. The sound is perfect and, IMO, is better than the sound of 2000', 2003' and 2006's boots.
    Black on LO2L is my favorite ever.
    NOT biased, but Ottawa has one of the best 'Black's I've ever heard.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    doujodoujo Posts: 285
    NOT biased, but Ottawa has one of the best 'Black's I've ever heard.

i agree with this and i wasn't there. that version is amazing.
  • Options
    im sure this has been discussed, but the sound of live on two legs is way up front, way closer, kind of a real hard soundboard sound. im not a taper myself, so maybe more experienced can correct me, but ive collected a lot of phish bootlegs, and seen the range of soundboard quality there. the official boots for 2000 released in stores are obviously soundboard, but they sound pushed back and compressed. also the drums are mixed so differently in live on two legs, which makes a huge difference. any other thoughts?
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    burlapsack wrote:
    im sure this has been discussed, but the sound of live on two legs is way up front, way closer, kind of a real hard soundboard sound. im not a taper myself, so maybe more experienced can correct me, but ive collected a lot of phish bootlegs, and seen the range of soundboard quality there. the official boots for 2000 released in stores are obviously soundboard, but they sound pushed back and compressed. also the drums are mixed so differently in live on two legs, which makes a huge difference. any other thoughts?

they added crowd mics in 00 and 03, and they mixed them in too strongly imho, (worse in 03 than 00) to the point where it muddies the band. i like the soundboard sound of lo2l, and of boots like 7.22.98

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    absolute best fucking version of untitled/MFC. ever.
    Give way to nature ...
  • Options
    ChadsStillAliveChadsStillAlive Indianapolis Posts: 450
    I respectfully disagree. The crowd sound is one of the best things about live recordings. The crowds are barely audible on LOTL, which I find disappointing when I listen to it now, after having experienced all the boots that have come out since. There are some great versions of songs on LOTL, but I honestly consider it my #1 LEAST favorite official release. Just my two cents.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side.
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    I respectfully disagree. The crowd sound is one of the best things about live recordings. The crowds are barely audible on LOTL, which I find disappointing when I listen to it now, after having experienced all the boots that have come out since. There are some great versions of songs on LOTL, but I honestly consider it my #1 LEAST favorite official release. Just my two cents.

Fair enough.. I guess I like to buy music to hear music.. not crowd. But to each his own..

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883

I agree, i think the crowds are what make some of the boots better than others.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options

By the way, I was talking about the performance of the songs anyway.. not the recordings. :)

• Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,141

Definitely!!! Soundboard 98's are amazing ......would love to have more!!!
    As for LO2L my favs are Fuckin Up and DTE
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    best live version of corduroy

bena nips it tho
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options

Opinions?

of course it is because the band picked each song. thus there's not lyrical flubs, missed notes, and things to that effect. and they even found a Do The Evolution where Stone's solo is good! they must have really listened to every '98 tour show to find one
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    of course it is because the band picked each song. thus there's not lyrical flubs, missed notes, and things to that effect. and they even found a Do The Evolution where Stone's solo is good! they must have really listened to every '98 tour show to find one

in fact, they went so far as to splice together two different even flows

• Options

you're entitled to your opinion, and i'm glad you at least have one.

however, i offer as evidence to convince you otherwise: faithful, 7.22.98. please find this and listen if you have the inclination. the beginning of the song...the lightly strummed intro...listen to it and hear ed breathe. in time. with the tune. probably my favorite version ever of this song simply because of the boot. you can hear the crowd appreciation at the end of songs, you can even hear sing-alongs when they happen. but it's the stage mics that pick it up, and it's secondary to what the band is doing. an accent. in the background. you get to hear the performance in pure, uncluttered rawness. the mix is awesome because it is the mix of the live show. but the crowd doesn't intrude like it does on the official boots. 00 was not as bad, but the 03 shows were nearly unlistenable to my ear. jmho of course

• Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    LO2L is awesome and the songs on it sound very loud, clear, & powerful. I love it. Cordoroy just rips and the YIELD songs sound incredible. I wish the cd was longer, or a double as others have suggested.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    absolute best fucking version of untitled/MFC. ever.
    took the words out of my mouth. . .love untitled. . .and thats the only version of it i have
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER