Options

Calling anyone who was at the 2003 Mansfield Show No.3

StinkfootStinkfoot Posts: 546
edited May 2009 in The Porch
I have spent the weekend listening back through all three shows in succession and absolutely loving every minute of them.

I was just intrigued to get some fan feedback on what that last show was actually like to attend? Did you guys have any idea when you originally bought tickets that something so epic would be happening?

Did you know in advance that they were starting extra early?

Did anyone miss the first set? (Did they actually start in the morning or was Ed just joking when he starts with "Good Morning"?)

It's one of those shows that if you WERE there, I imagine will be something you'll cherish forever.

Please feel free to share some memories...
"I get into a state of consciousness that I can't explain. It is about feeling and not thinking. I get positive chills and insight into things that I can't get to any other way. It is Healing of the Soul." - Mike McCready
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Stinkfoot wrote:
    I have spent the weekend listening back through all three shows in succession and absolutely loving every minute of them.

I was just intrigued to get some fan feedback on what that last show was actually like to attend? Did you guys have any idea when you originally bought tickets that something so epic would be happening?

Did anyone miss the first set? (Did they actually start in the morning or was Ed just joking when he starts with "Good Morning"?)

It's one of those shows that if you WERE there, I imagine will be something you'll cherish forever.

I don't think it was announced before the tix went on sale.

It was announced before the show happened that they would be opening with an acoustic set, before the opening band.

The first was kinda like an Ed preset, but with the rest of the band, short break then the opener. Nobody had a valid excuse to miss the preset. Wouldn't people still be griping if they did?

I wasn't there but it seems like one of those shows everybody dreams of bein at. Maybe not quite on par with the Seattle 2's or the Randall Islands but at least worthy of mention in the same breath.
  • Options
    touringfantouringfan Posts: 568
    Stinkfoot wrote:

know in advance - yes

miss the first set - no place was packed

one of those cherish shows - yup its regarded as a top show

Stolen from Two Feet Thick

07/11/03 - Tweeter Center: Mansfield (Boston), MA [preset 50m/main set 165m]

support act: Sleater-Kinney

PJ preset: Long Road, Of The Girl, Sometimes, Off He Goes, All Those Yesterdays, Drifting, Thin Air, Sleight Of Hand, Footsteps, All Or None, Parting Ways, Indifference
    set: Can’t Keep, Breakerfall, Brain of J, Spin the Black Circle, Ghost, Green Disease, Tremor Christ, Given To Fly, Nothing As It Seems, Cropduster, Faithfull, Why Go, Wishlist/(Why Can’t I Touch It?), Leatherman, Nothingman, Better Man, 1/2 Full, Untitled/MFC, Blood
    enc 1: Breath, Habit, Down, Mankind, U, Black, Jeremy
    enc 2: Arc, I Believe In Miracles, Know Your Rights, Fortunate Son, Rockin’ in the Free World
    enc 3: Yellow Ledbetter
    notes: This show is part III of the plan for PJ to play their catalog over the three Mansfield shows with no repeats. The unique full band preset starts early with a nearly full house with Ed thanking the crowd for participating in “the experiment.” After ‘Of The Girl,’ Ed asks the crowd to sit down saying, “We haven’t played to a seated crowd in a long, long time … there’s not gonna be an acoustic version of ‘Blood’ or anything like that …” The preset begins acoustic with Jeff playing electric on some of the early songs and Mike going electric on some of the later songs. Splendid song selection and very well executed. At least three-quarters of the crowd leaves after the preset Sleater-Kinney thanks Pearl Jam for opening for them in their set. PJ return for the main set, ripping through the first few songs at a staccato pace. Ed toasts Boston #3 after ‘GTF,’ and mentions saving the best for last. He says the next song could have been played in the preset but that they had saved it, and Mike begins ‘NAIS.’ ‘Faithfull’ was saved specifically for night three. Ed flubs ‘Wishlist’ but puts an extended jam on the end (acknowledging the crowd has “forgiven” him) that evolves into the ‘Why Can’t I Touch It?’ tag, enlisting the crowd to sing and joking about not giving Atlanta this part to sing. Ed introduces the “man” trilogy as three songs that “go together just like teeth in a Georgian’s mouth,” and then apologizes to Atlanta. In usual form, the crowd sings the first two verses to ‘Better Man’ before Ed even gets a word out. Returning for the first encore, Ed checks his notebook and says there are “… still quite a few songs on the list, so take a deep …” but doesn’t finish the sentence and they launch into ‘Breath.’ Unfortunately, there is no “speaking as …” in ‘Habit,’ but just a complete stop from the build up. ‘Down’ is introduced as a “b-side off the last record for the serious collector,” and is dedicated to Howard Zinn. Ed speaks more of Zinn’s writings at the end of the song. He addresses the 77 soldiers that have lost their lives in Iraq since the war is supposedly over and that he hopes that our thoughts and actions are still with those people overseas. “It will be a fine day when they all come home.” Ed introduces Stone, who says, “I’ve been waiting all tour to get the mic. Finally I have it. It feels so good. Since we’re playing all the songs, here’s the one that I sing …” leading to ‘Mankind,’ played under pink lights! He flounders on the repetition of the “… what’s got the whole world faking” lyric toward the end and says, “Well, it was sort of magic up to the last part … the second verse was pretty good, I thought.” After ‘Black,’ Ed says they only have one more of their songs to do and it is one the crowd knows so they can sing along, leading to ‘Jeremy,’ and afterward, leaving the stage with, “We did it … thank you!” The second encore begins with “Eddie, Eddie” chants and he responds, “Yeah, it’s just me up here.” He talks about how they were pacing themselves and the crowd outdid them. He says they are going to break the curfew and says it isn’t a deliberate act of disrespect but they want to finish the setlist and that next time they will probably play the Fleet Center. “It will never be like the Garden or like the Orpheum Theater.” After thanking those who showed up early for the “experiment” of the opener, he introduces ‘Arc’ as another experiment, following it with ‘I Believe in Miracles.’ Sleater-Kinney come out for ‘Fortunate Son’ and ‘RITFW.’ Then, “There’s one more we haven’t done. We’ve done it once in Birmingham …” and they repeat the loud “one note” and leave, to the dismay of the crowd that still continues to stay and cheer. The band returns, repeating the “one note” but then going into ‘YL’ (apparently the only song that would signal they were really done to get the crowd to leave). Mike adds a snippet of Boston’s ‘More Than A Feeling.’ Playing 30 minutes beyond the 11 pm curfew allegedly cost the band $7,500. (Total count for the three nights at Mansfield = 82 songs plus 11 covers.)

Credit above to two feet thick
    baby boomers selling you rumors of their history, forcing youth away from the truth of what's real today.
  • Options
    PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    I remember hearing that they were planning on not repeating any songs during the 3 Mansfield shows, and playing as much of their repoitore as possible. In order to do so, the 3rd show was going to have to be really long, so me and 2 friends were sitting at a bar on Thursday night (the show was on Friday, I believe), and talked ourselves into making the trip. We live in the Philly area, so we left for Mansfield at about 6AM the next morning without tickets or anything. We got up there around 5PM after many traffic delays, and were able to buy lawn tickets at the box office with no issue. I remember we got settled in, and wanted to get a beer to celebrate our road trip, and we got denied because we were under 25 with an out of state ID (we were all 23). Nonetheless, the show was incredible... totally worth the trip.

After the show, we realized that we left the lights on in our van, but got a jump from the nice PJ fans next to us, and were on our way back home to Philly sometime after midnight. Got back home around 6:30AM, slept for a few hours and drove up to Hershey for the show on Sat.

Good Memories.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • Options
    Lukin78Lukin78 Posts: 13
    Sill up there as being one of my favorite shows I've ever been to. I think everyone knew about the opening set as it was packed. Awesome Mansfield crowd as usual. Has to be one of my favorite boots as well. We went with some casual fans who never saw the band live. They were blown away.
  • Options
    PearlJamPatriotPearlJamPatriot Posts: 2,426
    Def one of the best shows ive been to. Ive seen some other great ones too, Penn St 2003 ( 3 1/2 hrs longest show ever--Satans Bed), MSG 2 1998 (Breath), MSG 2003 (Live At the Garden show), Philly 2005, Boston 06 (Leash), Albany 06 (Rats), Hartford 08, MSG 2008 (both nights)
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    simplemansimpleman Posts: 425
    yes I was there, and yes their were a lot of people in the house for the preset. He didn't want us to stand, which was a little awkward, but managable. I truly believe that if Great Woods wasen't so stubborn w/ their curfue, they might have played until the sun came up. It just felt like they didn't want to leave. Considering the newness of the preset and the whole catalog experiment, it was and still is my best PJ memory. I am slightly bias living 10 miles from that venue, but have been to about 40 shows all over north america. The boot is "the must have" of them all!!
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    I can't remember the exact sequence of events but my bro and I and a friend we're over for the MSG shows and planning on going to Boston anyway after those shows and then on to Pittsburgh for Lollapalooza. When we heard they we're adding a 3rd Boston show it worked out perfectly so we got tickets. We heard rumours of them planning something special and starting early at the MSG shows (prob 2nd night), otherwise we'd probably have had no idea to get there eatly although I'm sure we probably would've anyway. I had a feeling that these shows would be the pick of the tour but no idea just how amazing they would be. In terms of set lists I probably prefer other shows but in terms of what they did that night was pretty amazing and we loved every minute of it. I never thought I'd get to see PJ play an acoustic (well kinda!) set like that. Hopefully everyone gets to experience nights like that.
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    say_hisay_hi Posts: 311
    The acoustic set wasn't packed. I was in the last row, dead center and there were a lot of empty seats around the venue. The show was amazing, in the top 3 shows I have ever been to. I don't think everyone knew about the pre-set (even though it was announced on the radio/internet) because the people that came in during S-K asked us if they missed anything.
    4/30/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06 (Letterman Mini-Concert), 5/5/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    It's the kind of show where 20,000 people went to, but 100,000 say they went to.

... yeah, I was there. :? :?
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    ChrissybChrissyb Posts: 122
    I was there!!

Did you guys have any idea when you originally bought tickets that something so epic would be happening? - No

Did you know in advance that they were starting extra early?-Yes, it was announced somewhere

Did anyone miss the first set?-No

I'm a sole PJ fan, none of my family is really into them, all my PJ friends are on the web and not in person. I had a hard time finding someone to go with me so I took my younger brother. He introduced me to PJ in the early 1990's and had never had a chance to see them live. We left early..got stuck in traffic..but listened to a great Mike interview on the radio.. My brother and I travel in different circles so this was the 1st concert we attended together. "off he goes" reminds me of him, so when they played it live I slapped his knee and informed him it was his song..He really wanted to hear Yellow Ledbetter, its his favorite..I didn't think it was going to be played because PJ was doing as many songs from the catalog and that one was already played..but they played it..and he jumped for joy.. I will always cherish that day..
    **find what you love, love what you find**
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,646
    Front row center. Ed gave me mic at beginning of breath. Best show and $800 ever spent.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    pjsycopjsyco Wilmington, NC Posts: 642
    I made the trip from Orlando with my now ex-wife for our 6 month "anniversary". If I remember correctly, the place wasn't full at the beginning but as the pre-set went on, it pretty much filled up. You could tell that something special was happening during that show...it was kind of weird. What a fucking great show! Even my ex-wife, who was definitely not a Pearl Jam fan (think Norah Jones fan), said it was the best concert she'd ever been to.
  • Options
    pj0705pj0705 Posts: 189
    I got to the Tweeter Box office that morning around 7:30, and waited for hours for tickets. Everyone in line seemed pretty excited about the acoustic set and what songs they had left to play. i think i finally got tickets around 10 or 11, went home, took a nap, and then got to the parking lot around 3. Got in the show and missed half of the first song, but then settled in. There are always conflicting reports on how many people got in for the 1st set. Id say the place was half full, and 3/4 full by end of the acoustic set. Awesome show. I wish someone would upload some pics or video from this show, ive never seen any.
  • Options
    3legged dog3legged dog Posts: 896
    Stinkfoot wrote:

I was there, I went to the first show, missed the second and went to the 3rd show unknowing how EPIC this show would be. I did know ahead of time that he was doing he acoustic set. I remember EDDIE and the guys being extremely generous w/ their music w/ their fans and breaking the mansfield curfew. PJ was not able to play that venue again until this past tour 08. I believe the NewEngland fan base entertained the the band by being so receptive to the songs by singing, clapping, shouting and whistling through out the 47 songs played.
    In my lifetime, I have conquered the Multiverse by force of trUth.
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    went to all three... amazing!!! Night one had second row tix in front of stone. Never forget Eddie explaining during night one how the intended to play every song in their touring catalogue without repeating!!
    Night one was amazing, odd set list, great energy.
    Night two, my friends and I were as worn out and hung over as eddie. Still a great show though. Sat in 12th row center.
    And the famous night 3... just amazing! It was weird seeing them in the daytime... If I could go back to one show it would be this one, just a perfect and long night. Sat maybe 16th or 17th row mike's side.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Posts: 249
    2003 was an incredible year. I went to see them in West Palm Beach, Philly, all 3 Mansfield shows, 2 MSG shows, it was a really tremendous run. Looking back six years later I'm not sure the band has had as great a run as they did during that tour. totally on fire, great crowds, great setlists, just phenomenal.

A few weeks ago in the Sunday NYT there was an article about the Grateful Dead fans and how now with so many shows available online the eternal Deadhead question - which show was the best? - is easier to answer. It got me thinking about 2003 and how "on" Pearl Jam was during that week and a half stretch I got to see them. - an interesting debate could be had for sure on which tour PJ was at their peak performance....

anyway, this is how I remember "the experiment:"

The week before Mansfield 1 fans (in Toronto?) were talking about meeting Ed in the parking lot before a show. Ed was riding his bike in the lot before some of the shows (he did this again before Mansfield 1) and stopped to talk with the fans. he mentioned that they were excited about the 3 shows in the Boston area and may try to play their entire catalogue over those 3 shows.

Until Ed announced their intentions during Mansfield 1, the experiment wasn't made public.

Before MSG 2 the band announced they would be playing an xtra set to try and complete the experiment. Radio stations promoted that heavily.

I lived in Boston at the time and the traffic that day was beyond terrible. I was running to my seats as they started Long Road, the place was 1/4 full at that point and as others have indicated became 3/4 full by the end of the first set.

Ed had to convince the crowd to sit during the preset - everyone who was there early knew they were going to witness something really special.

I've been lucky to see a few of the memorable shows (Boston Garden 2 '94, MSG 1 and 2 2003, Spectrum '03, Gorge 2005, Gorge 2006) and Mansfield 3 or as my friend refers to it "the show Pearl Jam opened for themselves" ranks right up there at the top.

The anticipation, the crowd (people were geeking out, just giddy), the energy of the crowd and the band - so many elements made this a memorable event.

Longtime Boston Globe critic Steve Morse included it in his list of top Boston concerts when he retired.

Listening to the preset today, I think it's one of the best live CDs they've ever released. It's nights like Mansfield 3 that have created PJ Fans' such incredible lofty expectations, and all the more amazing when PJ ends up topping themselves.

Can't wait for the next show!
    "I remember when you sang that song about today, now it's tomorrow and everything has changed." - Bu$hleaguer
  • Options
    Lennon_CobainLennon_Cobain Posts: 704
    I was lucky enough to attend all three shows. The third show stands out just because of the unique preset aspect. Leading up to the third show, there were many rumors about the preset. If I recall correctly, it was only about a day or so prior to the show that we started hearing confirmations (via WBCN, etc.) that the rumors were true.

I still think these three shows should be released as a DVD (or preferably Blu-ray Disc) box set.
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    I'd flown out from Australia to see MSG 1 and Boston 3. Arrived in Boston on the 4th of July and saw Foo Fighters, then flew down to NYC and caught the first and second MSG gigs (paying $160 for the second night, damn scalpers). Back up to Boston for Night 3. Caught the train down from the city and walked (no idea how far it is). Got there, picked up my tickets and waiting excitedly for Sleater Kinney. Then Pearl Jam comes on!! I had no idea. Awesome acoustic pre-set.

I felt totally edified coming across to see those shows, so many songs that I thought I would never see live in Australia and the US crowds kick the Aussie crowds asses.
    1998 - 11/3 (SYD2)
    2003 - 11/2 (SYD1), 13/2 (SYD2), 14/2 (SYD3), 8/7 (MSG1), 9/7 (MSG2), 11/7 (BOS3)
    2006 - 7/11 (SYD1), 8/11 (SYD2), 10/11 (BRIS1), 18/11 (SYD3)
    2009 - 20/11 (MEL), 22/11 (SYD)
    2011 - 18/3 (EVSYD1), 19/3 (EVSYD2), 24/3 (EVMEL1), 25/3 (EVMEL2)
    2014 - 26/1 (BDOSYD)
  • Options
    JM55546JM55546 Posts: 129
    Went to the show, had 7th row in Section 3. Got to sit about 4th row center for the acoustic set. Although a lot say it was "packed" the front sections were 3/4 empty for most of it. Actually got those tickets through TM cause it wasn't a 10c show. Still my favorite show.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    Gmoney wrote:
    went to all three... amazing!!! Night one had second row tix in front of stone. Never forget Eddie explaining during night one how the intended to play every song in their touring catalogue without repeating!!
    Night one was amazing, odd set list, great energy.
    Night two, my friends and I were as worn out and hung over as eddie. Still a great show though. Sat in 12th row center.
    And the famous night 3... just amazing! It was weird seeing them in the daytime... If I could go back to one show it would be this one, just a perfect and long night. Sat maybe 16th or 17th row mike's side.
    We must have been close each night...
    10 club had me 2nd row center night 1 (2B), then I was in 2K night 2, and 2W night 3.

Did you step on my foot? :mrgreen:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Mike's SideMike's Side Posts: 954
    I scored four 7th row tix through Ticketmaster using my ninja trick and 1 of those seats was occupied by my 63 year old dad. never forget it
    1996 - Ft Lauderdale
    1998 - West Palm Beach 1
    2000 - West Palm Beach 1&2
    2003 - WPB,Tampa,Atlanta,Camden 1&2,MSG 1&2, Boston 3,Hershey Park
    2004 - Asheville, Kissimmee
    2008 - West Palm Beach,Tampa,Columbia,Virginia Beach, Mansfield 1&2
    2010 - Hartford,Boston,Newark, MSG 1&2
    2011 - PJ20 1&2, Costa Rica
    2013 - Wrigley,Brooklyn 1&2,Seattle
    2014 - Denver,Mountain View 1&2
    2015 - Bogata, Mexico City
    2016 - Ft Lauderdale,Miami,Tampa,NYC 1&2,Telluride,Fenway 1&2,Wrigley 1&2

• Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I didn't go since I was too far away, but my normal PJ friends who lived closer I had to convince to go... but I said "look, they're gonna play a pre-set, and this is gonna be a show not to miss, and they're gonna finish up ALL the rest of the songs of the tour that the other two dates didn't cover" which means they'll have a really unique selection of songs. At first they shuffled their feet, but afterwards they were SO happy I made them go. ...I think their funds were tight, and they wouldn't have gone to a standard show since they had seen a few others on that leg.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    No, it wasn't made public what they were going to try and do with regards to playing all their songs. But, if I remember correctly, didn't Ed tell a group of fans a few shows before this? I swear I remeber people talking about it on this board, saying that they had met Ed in the parking lot,and that's when he said it. Maybe I dreamed this up.

Anyways, the show was awesome. A little rain in the morning and it was a bit dreary, but it certainly didn't take away from the show or the day as a whole.
  • Options
    otter523otter523 Posts: 250
    Half full rocked the house. I remeber that it felt like the show was about to go places by that point. I drove out from Albany by myself and got a single ticket from a fan club member in the parking lot. The show itself was great but the acoustic set was really special. They hadn't played acoustic on the east coast since the unplugged I think. I was glad eddie asked us to sit. I really got to take it all in. I've been to 10 shows and this is one of my favorites. I'm an Albany resident and the two shows they played here have both been really good. Maybe nothing fancy but they sounded great and the crowd was really into it.
    ontheroad wrote:
    2003 was an incredible year. I went to see them in West Palm Beach, Philly, all 3 Mansfield shows, 2 MSG shows, it was a really tremendous run. Looking back six years later I'm not sure the band has had as great a run as they did during that tour. totally on fire, great crowds, great setlists, just phenomenal.

A few weeks ago in the Sunday NYT there was an article about the Grateful Dead fans and how now with so many shows available online the eternal Deadhead question - which show was the best? - is easier to answer. It got me thinking about 2003 and how "on" Pearl Jam was during that week and a half stretch I got to see them. - an interesting debate could be had for sure on which tour PJ was at their peak performance....

anyway, this is how I remember "the experiment:"

The week before Mansfield 1 fans (in Toronto?) were talking about meeting Ed in the parking lot before a show. Ed was riding his bike in the lot before some of the shows (he did this again before Mansfield 1) and stopped to talk with the fans. he mentioned that they were excited about the 3 shows in the Boston area and may try to play their entire catalogue over those 3 shows.

Until Ed announced their intentions during Mansfield 1, the experiment wasn't made public.

Before MSG 2 the band announced they would be playing an xtra set to try and complete the experiment. Radio stations promoted that heavily.

I lived in Boston at the time and the traffic that day was beyond terrible. I was running to my seats as they started Long Road, the place was 1/4 full at that point and as others have indicated became 3/4 full by the end of the first set.

Ed had to convince the crowd to sit during the preset - everyone who was there early knew they were going to witness something really special.

I've been lucky to see a few of the memorable shows (Boston Garden 2 '94, MSG 1 and 2 2003, Spectrum '03, Gorge 2005, Gorge 2006) and Mansfield 3 or as my friend refers to it "the show Pearl Jam opened for themselves" ranks right up there at the top.

The anticipation, the crowd (people were geeking out, just giddy), the energy of the crowd and the band - so many elements made this a memorable event.

Longtime Boston Globe critic Steve Morse included it in his list of top Boston concerts when he retired.

Listening to the preset today, I think it's one of the best live CDs they've ever released. It's nights like Mansfield 3 that have created PJ Fans' such incredible lofty expectations, and all the more amazing when PJ ends up topping themselves.

Can't wait for the next show!
    09/13/98 - 08/27/00 - 08/29/00 - 08/30/00 - 04/29/03 - 07/03/03 - 07/11/03 - 09/28/04 - 09/15/05 - 05/12/06 -10/15/13 - 10/25/13 - 04/29/16 - 05/01/16 - 05/02/16 - 05/08/16 - 08/05/16 - 08/07/16 - RRHOF-04/07/17 - 09/02/18 - 09/04/18 - 09/03/22 - 09/11/22

E.V-06/08/09 - 06/09/09
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Posts: 249
    something I forgot that i just heard again - Ed greets the crowd with, "good morning." awesome. they probably hadn't played that early since Lolla.
    "I remember when you sang that song about today, now it's tomorrow and everything has changed." - Bu$hleaguer
  • Options
    man, reading this post is making the hair raise on my arms. i went to the 2nd and 3rd boston shows that tour and am really bummed out i missed the 1st but oh well. i have seen some really great shows in my time, but this one stands out as probably the most epic for me. i had just finally finished school, had gotten a good job, was right up in love, and was going to a few pj shows that summer. everything was at a pretty high point, and reading this thread is bring me right back to that epic night, and bringing back some of the feelings i felt. awesome times, with the most awesome friends! cheers to everyone there, i wish i could relive it...maybe just once.
    "No time to be void and save up on life, you gotta spend it all"
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    No, it wasn't made public what they were going to try and do with regards to playing all their songs. But, if I remember correctly, didn't Ed tell a group of fans a few shows before this? I swear I remeber people talking about it on this board, saying that they had met Ed in the parking lot,and that's when he said it. Maybe I dreamed this up.

Anyways, the show was awesome. A little rain in the morning and it was a bit dreary, but it certainly didn't take away from the show or the day as a whole.

Wrong, it's been pointed out already that there were widespread announcements.
  • Options
    Hatfield78Hatfield78 Posts: 69
    My friend and I already had tickets to Hershey (the next night and supposed tour closer) and then we heard rumors of the "we are playing all our songs over the three nights in Boston". Then they announced the preset thing and we picked up tickets on ebay and set out on our trip from Atlanta a day earlier.

Everyone has reminisced so well already. I'll just say that it was one of the freest nights of music I've seen Pearl Jam put on. They were so confident at that point of the tour (really the entire 03 tour was loose and fun) and it felt more like a celebration of music more than a performance. That Boston crowd was incredible as well. To hear more than half the house sing along to ATY's blew me away. Just seeing Pearl Jam do that song again blew me away!

Can't Keep rolled off the stage like waves and sent the crowd into a frenzy. I got this giddy feeling that I hadn't had in a long time. Tremor Christ, intense Given To Fly, Faithful, Why Go, Wishlist with the great tag, and an amazing 1/2 Full. Another memory was the intensity of Jeremy. I remember thinking that anyone reading the set at home would say, "Oh they closed with Jeremy :? " But it was the high point of the show up until that point. The crowd wasn't filled with TEN fans who had been waiting for Jeremy, it was Pearl Jam in their blood kind of fans who said, "This is our favorite band, they are giving us the best night of music possible, they are playing the song that got me turned onto them and we are all going to rock the fuck out to it like the gods are watching."

Arc was incredible. The base note that Ed hit rumbled in your chest. Unreal.

Great thread. Check out the Heartbreaker solo Mike throws into All or None.

I remember this guy in the parking lot of Hershey the next night. He was downplaying the Boston show saying, "It was long but the setlist was weak." :shock: I looked at him in amazement and said, "The played 45 songs. Which Pearl Jam songs do you like?" Some people just can't be satisfied I guess. :D
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    was lucky enough to go to shows #1 and #3. Was having a blast at #1 when Ed announced the 'no-repeat' thing, and I instantly became pissed I'd be missing 7/3/03. I enjoy hearing that boot, too.

Highlight for me was definitely sitting at a PJ show. The irony of it all. Everyone was looking around in amazement.

"The advice we give to you is the advice we give ourselves...let's pace ourselves." Ed 7/11/03

A great night indeed.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    They were running behind so they posted on their website that they would do an acoustic during the day to catch up.....epic!!!