Options

ACL ROLL CALL

Comments

• Options
    This will be my 4th ACL (with by far, the BEST lineup I've seen)-as well as my 2nd time seeing PJ in Austin.

I am sooo excited about October: hanging out with friends from home, enjoying awesome music together, and Kerbey Queso!
    ...master of karate and friendship for everyone!
  • Options
    HELLLOOOO! I'm looking to buy 1-day pass (Sun obv) and was wondering if you all that have been there before can let me in on what the venue is like?? Are there VIP restricted areas in front of the stage? No heats I'm hoping right? If you don't get there on Fri are you fu@ked as to how close to the stage you can get? THANKS!
    JAMMER FOR LIFE!
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    HELLLOOOO! I'm looking to buy 1-day pass (Sun obv) and was wondering if you all that have been there before can let me in on what the venue is like?? Are there VIP restricted areas in front of the stage? No heats I'm hoping right? If you don't get there on Fri are you fu@ked as to how close to the stage you can get? THANKS!

im waiting on word from a friend if shes going. might have a pass available. wont know for a couple weeks.
  • Options
    you can still buy single day tickets for sunday at aclfestival.com. tix are $85 with no extra fees added on. vip is not in front of the stage. last time i went it was off to the side and was basically there for people who wanted to cool off in the shade and drink beer all day. there is no camping at zilker park. everyone leaves at the end of each day so if you get there early in the morning you can get up front. hope that helps! and even though it is in early october it can still get plenty hot in texas so take advantage of the two water bottle rule (you can bring in two bottles of water with you each day... saves you some $$$)

:D
  • Options
    THANKS A & B !!
    JAMMER FOR LIFE!
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    When you get up close to the stages at ACL you'll see some people sitting on scaffolding in the wings. It's my understanding that those are also people who purchase some kind of VIP pass or maybe they are just the bonafide VIPs. :lol: :roll: Anyhoo, there's no chance of scoring those seats!
    Just try to get there early in the day and you'll be all right. :)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    i personally wish that every other band that we want to see was playing on Fri/Sat so we could relax @ the PJ stage all day. 8-) it all depends on the scheduling for that day. there are so many great bands playing on Sunday, so we may have to make our move sooner than we want to.

and yes, be prepared to walk. a lot. there are also certain time of the day when the food line is short. i get the feeling that this year may be different, but for the last 2 years, Sundays' crowd was significantly smaller b/c everyone has to get back to the real world on Monday.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    TheLostSoulTheLostSoul Posts: 773
    ISO one 3 day pass. if you have one available. shoot me a pm.
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • Options

try going here:
    http://www.austincitylimits.com/forum/

there are plenty of people on there that can't go for some reason...or they bought them early & hate the lineup. plus, people will be selling 3 day wristbands on the first day (Friday). good luck!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    mfc2006 wrote:
    i personally wish that every other band that we want to see was playing on Fri/Sat so we could relax @ the PJ stage all day. 8-) it all depends on the scheduling for that day. there are so many great bands playing on Sunday, so we may have to make our move sooner than we want to.

and yes, be prepared to walk. a lot. there are also certain time of the day when the food line is short. i get the feeling that this year may be different, but for the last 2 years, Sundays' crowd was significantly smaller b/c everyone has to get back to the real world on Monday.

you thinkin about staking out the pj stage to get close?

im down
  • Options
    OttOtt Posts: 403
    KL288009 wrote:
    I will be there all three days. Deciding on whether I should try to find a hotel at this point or just stay with my friend in San Antonio? It's only an hour drive...

Have any of you been to ACL before? Any advice on what to expect?

I live in San Antonio, the drive is more like an hr and a half, depending on what side of SA you are on; from the farthest point north, it's still over an hr. Then factor in the traffic, and you are in for a long haul x 6.

I would suggest looking for a hotel, or vrbo.com perhaps. If not, there's some camping relatively close to the area. I am outdoorsy, so I'd rather that than driving 3 hrs each day (plus traffic). Or hell, scope out a hotel in San Marcos, New Braunfels, Kyle, etc. They are from 20-40 minutes south and right on I-35.

Regardless, have an effin blast. I know I will.

Ott
    'Give me some music; music, moody food/ of us that trade in love'
    -Shakespeare
  • Options
    KL288009KL288009 Posts: 24
    Thanks-- great advice. :)
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    MEGATRON wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

you thinkin about staking out the pj stage to get close?

im down

if i do end up going, i will be moving around that day :D
    a lot on that i want to see :D
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    For everyone going to all three days. What bands are must-sees and what bands do you plan to pass on?
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:

try going here:
    http://www.austincitylimits.com/forum/

there are plenty of people on there that can't go for some reason...or they bought them early & hate the lineup. plus, people will be selling 3 day wristbands on the first day (Friday). good luck!

thanks. i check that board every single day. atm, most everyone posting there is ISO, same as me. tickets actually havent been mailed yet, so maybe more will become available once sellers ahve them in hand. but with wristbands going for 300 bucks... i suspect most will be going to ebay to sell. :/

i know there will be some available day of fest, but i cant fly her down ticketless.
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • Options
    KingmidgetKingmidget Posts: 628
    KL288009 wrote:
    Have any of you been to ACL before? Any advice on what to expect?
    Get ready to walk a lot. You might want to start training NOW. :lol:

Srsly I was thinking it might be good to have a thread on how to get ready for ACL as it gets closer. Just simple advice or suggestions from people who have gone before. :geek:

But I'm not kidding about all the walking you do. By Sunday I usually have blisters on my blisters. :shock: :lol:

Tenderfoot! :)

Ya...its allot of walking, but I think its really set up well in the park....if walking back and forth from somewhere in Austin...thats the hike that got to me...once there I was fine.

So pumped!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    For everyone going to all three days. What bands are must-sees and what bands do you plan to pass on?

Check this out...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=99465
  • Options
    re: staying in san antonio. horrible idea.
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • Options
    you can still buy single day tickets for sunday at aclfestival.com. tix are $85 with no extra fees added on. vip is not in front of the stage. last time i went it was off to the side and was basically there for people who wanted to cool off in the shade and drink beer all day. there is no camping at zilker park. everyone leaves at the end of each day so if you get there early in the morning you can get up front. hope that helps! and even though it is in early october it can still get plenty hot in texas so take advantage of the two water bottle rule (you can bring in two bottles of water with you each day... saves you some $$$)

:D

Great points...DO BRING WATER...I think we spent more on bottled water in the past than for the ^%$# tixs! I guess I'm not concerned about FRONT row for PJ....there will be many bands playing at their stage Sunday. Based on some experience "move" your way towards the front during band breaks in late afternoon. Folks who set up blankets/spaces early just get pissed as by 6 and after it just gets "Jammed" up... ;)
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Just back from Nashville and Memphis. Reporting late to roll call. I'm in for all three days.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    Kingmidget wrote:
    Get ready to walk a lot. You might want to start training NOW. :lol:

Srsly I was thinking it might be good to have a thread on how to get ready for ACL as it gets closer. Just simple advice or suggestions from people who have gone before. :geek:

But I'm not kidding about all the walking you do. By Sunday I usually have blisters on my blisters. :shock: :lol:

Tenderfoot! :)

Ya...its allot of walking, but I think its really set up well in the park....if walking back and forth from somewhere in Austin...thats the hike that got to me...once there I was fine.
    I am a PRINCESS!!!! What do you expect?!?! :P :lol:;)

Nah, I'm with you, it's the walk from where you are parked to get into the fest that's usually the worst, after that not so bad. I don't mind moving around amongst the different stages all day. But even though I'm used to walking a lot by the third day my feet are talking back to me. :shock:
  • Options
    Kingmidget wrote:
    Great points...DO BRING WATER...I think we spent more on bottled water in the past than for the ^%$# tixs! I guess I'm not concerned about FRONT row for PJ....there will be many bands playing at their stage Sunday. Based on some experience "move" your way towards the front during band breaks in late afternoon. Folks who set up blankets/spaces early just get pissed as by 6 and after it just gets "Jammed" up... ;)
    As hard as it is to believe, lots of people will leave the fest before PJ starts to play. For everybody here who's stoked about seeing them, there will be just as many people at ACL who aren't interested and will leave early. Every year I'm surprised at how many people skip the headliner. Either they don't care about the band, or they have to go to work early the next day, or they are there from out of town and want to start out for home, or whatever . . . . As people start to leave there will be more opportunity to move up close to the stage.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Kingmidget wrote:
    As hard as it is to believe, lots of people will leave the fest before PJ starts to play. For everybody here who's stoked about seeing them, there will be just as many people at ACL who aren't interested and will leave early. Every year I'm surprised at how many people skip the headliner. Either they don't care about the band, or they have to go to work early the next day, or they are there from out of town and want to start out for home, or whatever . . . . As people start to leave there will be more opportunity to move up close to the stage.

I have been spending some time on the ACL message board and have come across quite a few people who are not interested in Pearl Jam. I have been trying to get an idea as to what time is best to head to the main stage on Sunday. Taking a look at the schedule and past schedules I would imagine/hope Ben Harper is on the same stage right befpre PJ. I don't really care about being right up front but I also dont want to be in the back of 60,000 people.
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I have been spending some time on the ACL message board and have come across quite a few people who are not interested in Pearl Jam. I have been trying to get an idea as to what time is best to head to the main stage on Sunday. Taking a look at the schedule and past schedules I would imagine/hope Ben Harper is on the same stage right befpre PJ. I don't really care about being right up front but I also dont want to be in the back of 60,000 people.

Hmmm this is interesting news. :) I didn't have the chance to be up close for Lolla due to working late and arriving late. I was way in the back for that show but kinda wanna get up close for this performance. I'm sure enough people will stay for PJ but how many that is the question. lol : :mrgreen:
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,329
    get there as early as you can and wait. You won't regret it!
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    3 months! Pearl Jam back in Texas! 3 more months!!
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:

:mrgreen:
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:

HELL YES!!! 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Sunday's going to be awesome. i just wish that the top-tier bands on Sunday were spread out a bit--PJ, Ben Harper, Sonic Youth & The Dead Weather are all clustered at the top. i want to see/hear all of them. ah, well...it'll work out somehow.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Sunday's going to be awesome. i just wish that the top-tier bands on Sunday were spread out a bit--PJ, Ben Harper, Sonic Youth & The Dead Weather are all clustered at the top. i want to see/hear all of them. ah, well...it'll work out somehow.

PJ, Sonic Youth, Ben Harper and Clutch are the bands I wanna see the most. Yup it will all work out somehow. :mrgreen: