Options

Love for the LOCAL fans!

zootownzootown Posts: 666
edited May 2009 in The Porch
I know that alot of folks are more than a little frustrated at the way CHI and TOR shows were announced, and more importantly, how tix were sold immediately. IMHO, I think it's great! I think that they are trying to bias things towards people who live in these cities or closeby- and AWAY from the folks that travel all over to see them ala the Deadheads. The band at times has certainly indicated that they are a bit put off seeing the same fans in the front row every night. Plus, the whole carbon footprint is alot smaller if people are driving across town to the show versus driving/flying across the country. If you live in CHI or TOR, or nearby these places, buying tix today was probably a no-brainer, however, for the folks who would have to travel long distances, they are the ones complaining because they dont have enough time to budget/book flights etc...seems pretty purposeful and thought out to me. They play Chicago for Chicago fans, not fans from all over the country...get it??? ;)
I hold the pain, release me!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    NoCode_inMTNoCode_inMT Posts: 551
    zootown wrote:
    I know that alot of folks are more than a little frustrated at the way CHI and TOR shows were announced, and more importantly, how tix were sold immediately. IMHO, I think it's great! I think that they are trying to bias things towards people who live in these cities or closeby- and AWAY from the folks that travel all over to see them ala the Deadheads. The band at times has certainly indicated that they are a bit put off seeing the same fans in the front row every night. Plus, the whole carbon footprint is alot smaller if people are driving across town to the show versus driving/flying across the country. If you live in CHI or TOR, or nearby these places, buying tix today was probably a no-brainer, however, for the folks who would have to travel long distances, they are the ones complaining because they dont have enough time to budget/book flights etc...seems pretty purposeful and thought out to me. They play Chicago for Chicago fans, not fans from all over the country...get it??? ;)

+1
    Could not have said it better myself.
    1998-6/20, 6/21
    2003-6/1, 10/25
    2005-8/29, 9/4
    2006-7/2, 7/22, 7/23
    2008-4/15(EV solo)
    2009-9/21, 9/22, 9/28
    2011-9/3, 9/4
    2012-9/30
    2013-7/19, 11/30
  • Options
    ValleyGalValleyGal Posts: 122
    You've made a very good point. It definately gives locals an edge in getting tickets because they're the ones who would jump on buying them first . . . no thinking twice about it, thus they're first in line. On the down side, maybe there were people who bought tickets right away and are then going to find out they can't go because of no time off or short on money and thus might shut someone else out locally.

The only bad thing about doing it this way is the system crashing for some. I know I had a terrible time trying to get onto the website this morning . . . assuming it was because too many people were trying to get information/tickets at once.
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    Sorry, but i have to disagree with you... shows are not just for the LOCAL fans... i am not attending this show for one reason only... that is because i will be on vacation... i did however get tickets for my friend today... he is from the NY area too and if we have an opportunity and the means (and the tickets) to see a show, by all means we will see a show... life is too short. This band will not be around forever, i will not be around forever... i would like to enjoy seeing my favorite band wherever they play as long as i can get there.
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    +1 --- I am bumping my own thread so people might settle down- again, why does anyone need to know if Pearl Jam is playing on the other side of the country, or world for that matter. ALL I am watching for are shows in Missoula or the Gorge- because that is the part of the country I live in and the furthest I would go to see a show! This arrangement is intentional and actually makes sense, if everyone would stop tantrumming about it!
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    i agree and disagree, since i've met some of the best people i know travelling to see this band, and would enjoy their company at my hometown shows as much as they'd probably enjoy mine at their hometown shows.

i agree on the basis of carbon footprint... though i travel a lot so it makes me feel hypocritical for travelling. Hey, at least i use public transit / walk everywhere!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    JM151262JM151262 Posts: 11
    This is exactly WHY its happening.

They're weeding out the travellers because, quite frankly, its "done". They want there to be tickets for non-members come the pulic on sale date, which is why it is scheduled for a few days away. They don't want people thinking about it; budgeting for it and planning their summer vacations around it. They just want to play to locals and get out of the "Jamily" business.

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to clue in...
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,587
    perfectly said.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    NYbenben wrote:
    Sorry, but i have to disagree with you... shows are not just for the LOCAL fans... i am not attending this show for one reason only... that is because i will be on vacation... i did however get tickets for my friend today... he is from the NY area too and if we have an opportunity and the means (and the tickets) to see a show, by all means we will see a show... life is too short. This band will not be around forever, i will not be around forever... i would like to enjoy seeing my favorite band wherever they play as long as i can get there.

Sorry, but fans like yourself are exactly what i am talking about and who Pearl Jam is attempting to manage. They are trying to discourage you traveling long distances (burning gas, carbon footprint) to see them and appealing more to the local fans!
  • Options
    plus i think the whole issue about entitlement is getting a little out of hand between pearl jam fans.
    who deserves it more, who the shows are for, which city is over do and which one is getting too many shows, what the band owes to people who they owe it to...
  • Options
    zootown wrote:
    NYbenben wrote:

Sorry, but fans like yourself are exactly what i am talking about and who Pearl Jam is attempting to manage. They are trying to discourage you traveling long distances (burning gas, carbon footprint) to see them and appealing more to the local fans!
    if pearl jam was so interested in discouraging long distance travel, they wouldnt be flying across the atlantic for 4 shows.
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,165
    haffajappa wrote:
    if pearl jam was so interested in discouraging long distance travel, they wouldnt be flying across the atlantic for 4 shows.
    Ha, good point. :lol:
  • Options
    mattcoz wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:
    Ha, good point. :lol:

:)
    i don't think any of us are in the position to give insight on what their intentions are, or at least very few of us are.
  • Options
    haffajappa wrote:
    zootown wrote:
    NYbenben wrote:

You missed the point; it's not about where the band travels, it is about discouraging fans from flying all over the globe to attend shows- decreasing the chance for locals to get good tix and attend shows- plus doing the right thing environmentally, and we all know that PJ is just a bit interested in the environment!
  • Options
    zootown wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

You missed the point; it's not about where the band travels, it is about discouraging fans from flying all over the globe to attend shows- decreasing the chance for locals to get good tix and attend shows- plus doing the right thing environmentally, and we all know that PJ is just a bit interested in the environment!
    but not interested enough in making a long haul over seas worthwhile?
    they have a bit to go to catch up with Radiohead ;)

i'm not missing the point, i just don't understand discouraging fans from flying all over the globe to attend shows... except the environmental thing of course, being that's something i'm very passionate about too. so i totally understand where you are coming from there.

the entitlement, however, is a bit different. realistically, the amount of people travelling from other places is pretty marginal i think... i see how you cuold become disappointed in this though.
    its unfortunate that you aren't able to travel or don't want to travel... like i said, i've met some amazing people by travelling, who are equally hospitable and welcoming to travelling pearl jam fans in their hometowns, and obviously the feeling is mutual... at least for most fans i know.
  • Options
    haffajappa wrote:
    zootown wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

but not interested enough in making a long haul over seas worthwhile?
    they have a bit to go to catch up with Radiohead ;)

i'm not missing the point, i just don't understand discouraging fans from flying all over the globe to attend shows... except the environmental thing of course, being that's something i'm very passionate about too. so i totally understand where you are coming from there.

the entitlement, however, is a bit different. realistically, the amount of people travelling from other places is pretty marginal i think... i see how you cuold become disappointed in this though.
    its unfortunate that you aren't able to travel or don't want to travel... like i said, i've met some amazing people by travelling, who are equally hospitable and welcoming to travelling pearl jam fans in their hometowns, and obviously the feeling is mutual... at least for most fans i know.

I get your point, I can see why folks are frustrated. I still feel, however, that PJ is trying to avoid what happened to a band like the Grateful Dead (who I did actually travel to see back in my younger days); they dont' want a significant troupe of fans following them around the country/globe devouring resources and hogging tix and good seats- I witnessed this first hand with the Dead, and it was one of the reasons that band, and specifically Jerry Garcia, drove themselves into the ground!
  • Options
    yooperpjyooperpj Posts: 313
    I do believe it helps the local fans out but i will have to say as someone who has about a 5 hour drive to chicago its hard to pass this up. especially because we have no idea where and when there might be more dates. i have heard alot of south and west rumors which will rule me out.
    If i knew there were going to be more shows in the midwest (mich/ohio/indiana area) i would probalby be able to hit two of those shows for the price that it will be for this one show.
    that is why there are so many upset people. People just don't know if this may be there best (most financially benefitial) show to attend. alot of people just arent sure.

Also, isn't bring tourists to your city good for the economy?
  • Options
    zootown wrote:

I get your point, I can see why folks are frustrated. I still feel, however, that PJ is trying to avoid what happened to a band like the Grateful Dead (who I did actually travel to see back in my younger days); they dont' want a significant troupe of fans following them around the country/globe devouring resources and hogging tix and good seats- I witnessed this first hand with the Dead, and it was one of the reasons that band, and specifically Jerry Garcia, drove themselves into the ground!

oh definitely... definitely definitely definitely... but i would refine it saying, not the same group of fans with the same faces up at the front. i've seen about 20 shows in the past couple years and only have been up front once, in London, England.. waited around all day for my shot. Its some people who travel to see them everywhere and demand to be up there every show... i just turned 21, my 10c number sucks, but that's ok... being at the front / close is a treat! still, there are some people i've met along the way who feel they are entitled to be up at the front because of their 'dedication' and what not, its really stupid.

i guess what i'm trying to say (while trying to pay attention to my geography lecture right now too :roll: - which is prob why i'm not making sense haha) is that you shouldn't garnish all the travelling fans as the ones trying to suck up the good seats.... i know a LOT who could care less about that and are just happy to be there, and be fortunate enough to travel, see old friends and meet new people... and that's why i don't think its fair to say only local fans have rights to the shows..
  • Options
    I must be getting old. I grew up in Buffalo and have lived in the south for 3 years. In the old days,I would have bought tickets to Toronto in a heart beat and made a weekend out of it. Now the thought of traveling is not desireable at all and I'll wait patiently for a show in my neck of the woods where all I have to do is hop the train downtown after work. No more clearing the schedule and making Pearl Jam my top priority. I don't know how some of you guys do it, I'm still exhausted from th Sprngsteen show last week.
  • Options
    BZBZ Posts: 45
    Traveling PJ shows = fun, fun fun! ;)
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    People take this band too seriously. I wanna see them play again, but if I don't/can't, then whatever. I've seen them live. I think this is a good thing.

Plus they are just touring for fun. They aren't promoting anything so consider any concert dates a gift.
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    zootown wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:
    zootown wrote:

Ummm...not to burst your bubble, but there are PLENTY of people still traveling for shows. I know at least 10 people from Detroit that will be driving up to Toronto to see the show on Friday...then heading over to Chicago to catch the show on Sunday...then back to Detroit. That's about 1052 miles altogether. Also, take a peak at the Euro show threads...plenty of people are traveling all over Europe to see all four shows. While your idea has some merit, I don't think it could be said with any certainty that the band planned things they way you posited. It is a nice theory though.

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • Options
    Ummm...not to burst your bubble, but there are PLENTY of people still traveling for shows. I know at least 10 people from Detroit that will be driving up to Toronto to see the show on Friday...then heading over to Chicago to catch the show on Sunday...then back to Detroit. That's about 1052 miles altogether. Also, take a peak at the Euro show threads...plenty of people are traveling all over Europe to see all four shows. While your idea has some merit, I don't think it could be said with any certainty that the band planned things they way you posited. It is a nice theory though.

ds

Im not saying it's going to actually work, I mean people will do what they want and spend their money and resources how they wish, but yeah, I do think it is a good theory! ;)
  • Options
    DarkStar wrote:

ds

um, i'm sorry but... you'll hafto put that equation in kilometers, please.

;)
  • Options
    CreedDiseaseCreedDisease Posts: 241
    zootown wrote:
    I don't get it? Aren't the shows in August? That would give me plenty of time to book a flight from Houston, which, of course, I wouldn't have to if they came here instead of playing up there all the time.

The ten club has our addresses. If they really wanted to look out for the local fans, couldn't they base tickets on zip codes? Sorry. I think you're wrong on this one, and pushing your own agenda.
  • Options
    PearlJamPatriotPearlJamPatriot Posts: 2,426
    zootown wrote:
    I don't get it? Aren't the shows in August? That would give me plenty of time to book a flight from Houston, which, of course, I wouldn't have to if they came here instead of playing up there all the time.

The ten club has our addresses. If they really wanted to look out for the local fans, couldn't they base tickets on zip codes? Sorry. I think you're wrong on this one, and pushing your own agenda.
    Not to mention that lots of northeast fans will go to Toronto if thats the closest show to them. For all we knew today, it was.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    haffajappa wrote:
    DarkStar wrote:

ds

um, i'm sorry but... you'll hafto put that equation in kilometers, please.

;)

1052 miles = 1 693.02989 kilometers

;)

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....