Drinking When You're Sick

Music For RhinosMusic For Rhinos Posts: 1,693
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Who has done that?

I know it's probably not the best idea but how bad is it really?

The reason it's on my mind is because I have been sick recently with a cold...had congestion now it's mostly a cough...and some co-workers are going out to the bar tonight. We usually go out on weekends. I know I should stay in and keep resting but the worst of the cold is definitely over and it's Saturday night!

So yeah, just seeing what people's opinions are...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Music For RhinosMusic For Rhinos Posts: 1,693
    uhhh yeah, the reason i posted this is to hear what other people thought, not to watch the number of views without a reply go up.
    so, how about drinking when you're a little sick with a cold?
    BUMP :D
    somebody say something for gods' sake!
    LOL :lol:
  • PearlJam24PearlJam24 Posts: 340
    As long as you are not on any medications, I don't see why you cannot have a drink or three. However, if you have a cough, I don't know what kind of bar you go to, but if it's filled with smokers, it will more than likely irritate your chest and make you cough more.
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    PearlJam24 wrote:
    As long as you are not on any medications, I don't see why you cannot have a drink or three. However, if you have a cough, I don't know what kind of bar you go to, but if it's filled with smokers, it will more than likely irritate your chest and make you cough more.

Yea if you are on any kind of over the counter cold medicine, even one drink can have some pretty hard effects. But other than that I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you are worried, just drink something mixed with Orange Juice (ie vodka) so it kind of evens out.
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    I think I drank away mono when I was in college...
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
    milarso wrote:
    I think I drank away mono when I was in college...

ah hahahaha.

my one friend is always like, "dude i have mono!"

and yet he parties hardy at least once a week. :D
  • covered in blisscovered in bliss Posts: 1,332
    don't mix alcohol with OTC medicine if you want to live.

in the old days, brandy and whisky was given to children for sniffles or coughs.

smoking with a chest cold is a MILLION times grosser than having a drink on the tail-end of a cold.

you're probably gone by now...
  • AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Posts: 1,510
    I drink lots of brandy when I have a cold
    I drink lots of brandy when I don't have a cold
  • AyedavanitaAyedavanita Posts: 1,443
    I have strep right now but have finally been on the meds for 24hrs. I'm going to have a few "drinks" and watch the tv I missed this week. Does that count? As someone said earlier, if you aren't on meds than it really shouldn't matter right? Unless you are going to drink too much...
    "You think I got my eyes closed but I'm lookin' at you the whole fuckin' time..."

as long as it isn't blackberry
    I have strep right now but have finally been on the meds for 24hrs. I'm going to have a few "drinks" and watch the tv I missed this week. Does that count? As someone said earlier, if you aren't on meds than it really shouldn't matter right? Unless you are going to drink too much...

Antibiotics shouldn't be taken with alcohol. Unless it's on the tail end of the prescription.

Topics like these are funny because if you're REALLY sick, you sure as hell wouldn't be posting on a message board!
  • Alcohol will make it worse because it'll weaken your immune system. Geniuses here.
    Alcohol will make it worse because it'll weaken your immune system. Geniuses here.

prove it Einstein.
  • Alcohol will make it worse because it'll weaken your immune system. Geniuses here.

prove it Einstein.

I proved it all the time in college, but then I grew up. A drink or two is fine, but excessive intake will weaken the immune system. I thought this was common sense and if you really think about it, it makes sense, but here is a website:

http://www.immunecentral.com/templates/ ... /1696/70/1

This took me a few seconds to find on google.
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    hey now!!! i don't know you ..... do I ;)

**in case you don't get it... my name is Brandi. :mrgreen:
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
    wait, what?
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    It always makes you feel better, but you feel 10x worse in the morning.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I did it once when I had the flu and was on medication. It was not a good idea. I got really really drunk really quickly, and just got up told my mates I was going home and walked off. I just remember talking to someone and just losing concentration and thinking I have had about 4 beers, how can I be this smashed so soon???

Don't do it mate.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    hey now!!! i don't know you ..... do I ;)

**in case you don't get it... my name is Brandi. :mrgreen:

I have always wanted to meet someone named Brandi, just to compliment my love of brandy :P
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Pretty sure I have
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i fully support a whiskey shot when under the weather. if the booze doesn't kill the germs, it will at least make you feel better.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • supersonicyearssupersonicyears Posts: 2,619
    you know what's really funny, people that I've known that really drink a lot on a regular basis(everyday alot) rarely ever seem to get sick.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    don't do it! set back city...