Can you believe the balls of this guy?

TriumphantAngelTriumphantAngel Posts: 1,760
edited May 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
Holy crap. My balls of the day award goes to this dude.

So he wanders into jacksons, they have a power blackout, he spies a 1959 fender telecaster, says i'll have that thanks. Picks it up, and calmly walks out. It's worth $55,000.

It gets better. The store doesnt have CCTV. Unbelievable. Apparently it was refinished in candy red in 1966. That colour didn''t even exist in '59. The store owner has said he expects it to show up somewhere within the next 5-10 years.

I wonder if he even knew what he was taking. He could've been a novice and had no real clue. Maybe he just liked the color. Gosh. It's not like he can sell it to anyone for reasonable money. Imagine if he has sold it to someone for next to nothing, or chucked it in the basement.

Doesn't that just about make you wanna cry...

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 09,00.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Actually, the guitar would not be worth anywhere near $55.000.00 if it is a refin. The price would be closer to around 5-8 thousand. Just goes to show you that you should never pick out a guitar in the dark.
  • TriumphantAngelTriumphantAngel Posts: 1,760
    yar, im not sure why it was done. personally', i absolutely love the look of the old beaten up teles.
    i know most collectors have a thing about the original finish maintaining the tone, but to drop $50k? that's huge.

will be interesting to see if it does turn up somewhere one day.
  • Yeh, refinishing a guitar really kills it's value big time. Even a really beat up, Rory Gallagher type guitar is worth a lot more that a refin. Stolen guitars don't turn up very often. Many guitar greats, including Clapton, Page, Gilmour, and Beck, have had cherished guitars stolen, and none have ever surfaced.