Options

Ready for Stadium Tour in the USA?

2»

Comments

• Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    Ugh, no way. Pearl Jam is not U2 (thank god, and good luck to U2 for trying to translate a boring-ass album into stadium music for 60,000+ people...I'm sure it will be hell lame).

Come on man, we want PJ to DOWNSIZE the size of venues...play smaller venues not bigger ones.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    I wouldnt mind a few stadium shows. But a full tour, no way. Fenway this year, hell yeah!!! ;)
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    broloco wrote:
    bhigh901 wrote:
    Stadium shows suck ass.. They are for generic corporate crap-rock money machines.. U2, Stones, Jimmy Buffet, Dave Matthews (yeah, I said it) Kenny Chesney.. Bad music for people who just want to get drunk and buy a t-shirt.. The day PJ fall into this is the day I drop out..

wow. that's a different view. ha, ha. they basically have done them in other countries here and there though, and you haven't dropped out yet.
    Europeans are a wee bit more civilized.. Every stadium show I have ever been to has sucked..
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    bhigh901 wrote:
    broloco wrote:
    bhigh901 wrote:
    Stadium shows suck ass.. They are for generic corporate crap-rock money machines.. U2, Stones, Jimmy Buffet, Dave Matthews (yeah, I said it) Kenny Chesney.. Bad music for people who just want to get drunk and buy a t-shirt.. The day PJ fall into this is the day I drop out..

wow. that's a different view. ha, ha. they basically have done them in other countries here and there though, and you haven't dropped out yet.
    Europeans are a wee bit more civilized.. Every stadium show I have ever been to has sucked..

sorry to hear that. every one I've been to was a great experience. and no I didn't get drunk, or buy any souvenirs, or yell like a fratboy asshole, etc.
    I just enjoyed the soaring music.
  • Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    Sell out stadium shows? The tickets are still available after being on sale for an hour for only 4 total shows in Europe for super fans ;)( 10c ). Only Rotterdam is sold out. Why would you want 4x the drunken idiots anyway :D .
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    I'm not saying I'd like to see PJ play stadium shows, although I'm not totally against the idea either having seen them at Rock Im Park in 2000 and Reading Festival in 2006 and they we're both good shows.

As to if they could sell them out, I think they could in certain areas. Even if they we're to play stadiums they'd likely restirct the capcity to 40k as they did on the South American stadium tour in 2005. PJ can sell out 2 arena/amp shows in most cities in the US and in certain regions play numerous shows (East Coast esp NY for example). As to the person who said they can't sell out Boston, they almost did in 2003, playing to 56k over 3 nights if I remember correctly. I can't see them doing it though except the odd one possibly Fenway Park at some point.
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    MINDWIREUK wrote:
    I'm not saying I'd like to see PJ play stadium shows, although I'm not totally against the idea either having seen them at Rock Im Park in 2000 and Reading Festival in 2006 and they we're both good shows.

As to if they could sell them out, I think they could in certain areas. Even if they we're to play stadiums they'd likely restirct the capcity to 40k as they did on the South American stadium tour in 2005. PJ can sell out 2 arena/amp shows in most cities in the US and in certain regions play numerous shows (East Coast esp NY for example). As to the person who said they can't sell out Boston, they almost did in 2003, playing to 56k over 3 nights if I remember correctly. I can't see them doing it though except the odd one possibly Fenway Park at some point.

I've been to 6 PJ shows, including the 08 tour closer in Boston and a Chitown arena show and I've never been to a sellout show. Their sellouts are few and far between and that is doin one show a city.
  • Options
    Ugh, no way. Pearl Jam is not U2 (thank god, and good luck to U2 for trying to translate a boring-ass album into stadium music for 60,000+ people...I'm sure it will be hell lame).

I am sure u2 will have no problem rising to this challenge. There are at least four songs on that album that I am pretty sure will sound amazing admist 100,000 fans (Magnifcent, I'll Go Crazy..., Stand Up Comedy, and Breathe).
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,565

I don't think PJ could fill a stadium these days if they gave the tickets away.
    And that's the exact reason why I love'em so much. They are not a "stadium band". I hope they never become a "stadium band". That would be horrible in my opinion. Now, like some said earlier,I guess some people will never be comfortable if they don't see them play one stadium at least. I guess for those, this would be a dream come true. But like soulsinging says, they can't fill a stadium in most parts of the country (overseas is a whole different story. Especially SA) So I won't have anything to worry about. :)
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    No thanks to the stadium show idea. I would love to see them do some more one-off "fan club only" smaller shows a la The Vic while still mixing in the normal arena shows.

Or something like play in an intimate public square like they did in Pistoia. Where could they get away with that in the US?
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    ejny wrote:
    No thanks to the stadium show idea. I would love to see them do some more one-off "fan club only" smaller shows a la The Vic while still mixing in the normal arena shows.

Or something like play in an intimate public square like they did in Pistoia. Where could they get away with that in the US?
    the square wasn't that intimate..it was the same size as a regular Arena floor.

I point blank refuse to go to Stadium shows. Including not going to see REM when they played Twickenham last year (caught them in Philly ampitheatre between 2 PJ shows instead ;))

the only stadium shows I can recall PJ did in Europe (aside from festivals) were Chorzow and Neijmegen (Düsseldorf was originally going to be in a stadium but downgraded) and those were basically mini-festivals (and I only did them because we had 10c early entry)
    Festivals have huge crowds but it's a very different atmosphere...it's more than about one band.

I barely can do Arenas so if PJ switch to stadiums, count me out.
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    DewieCox wrote:
    I've been to 6 PJ shows, including the 08 tour closer in Boston and a Chitown arena show and I've never been to a sellout show. Their sellouts are few and far between and that is doin one show a city.

Well the Boston Herald reported the first night in 2008 as a "A nearly 20,000-strong army of fans" ( the venue capacity being 19,900) and Billboard reported 2 sell outs in 2006. As I said Billboard also reported 56k over 3 nights (I was at the 3rd night) which had a reported 16k ish (the show was added very late).
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    I saw them at Tad Gormley Stadium in 1995.. It was amazing, but it was kinda scary.. There were well over 70,000 people there.. There were no video monitors, Only some tall candles and a chandalier over the stage.. There was VERY little security.. If you have heard the boot you know they had to stop the show when a girl went down in the pit (Tremor Christ). I tried to stay in the crowd but ended up in the stands cause it was SO crowded.. Granted it was totally General Admission.. It was kinda like being at a party that got out of control.. It was like there were no grown-ups around.. I realize that now post 2000 PJ in a stadium would be a completely different experience.. None-the-less unless you are in the first 25 rows, stadium shows are incredibly lame.. Just play 2-3 nights of arenas.. You lose so much intimacy in a stadium setting.. Besides.. PJ are not about props and bs like U2.. Let's just all meet at the local hockey/basketball arena and let em blow our faces off!!
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    i hear ya. yeah, I just remembered the USA stadium shows on the No Code tour. I mean via only through books mind you. like when I see the photos from the "place/date" book of Charlotte's memorial stadium they look so fuckin cool. that is what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    bhigh901 wrote:

Wow ... while I totally agree that stadium shows can suck ... U2, Rolling Stones, Dave Matthews = bad music ?!
    Can't agree there. By the way, the most violently drunk fans I've seen have been at Pearl Jam shows (quite a few years back though). It never stopped me from going either - I mean, I go for the music, not the fans. But yeah, I hate the stadium idea too. I like hearing music outside sometimes, but the sound is never as good, which is why in the past few years I've stopped getting outdoor seating for Pearl Jam. I want to HEAR everything I can at a PJ show.
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 654
    I saw PJ in Charlotte in '96 and it was a great show. Probably my favorite concert ever. I don't know if they could sell out every show of a stadium tour, but they could sell out some of them. And they are pretty solid when playing in one if it's the right size. The Charlotte concert wasn't in a big stadium and it was perfect. Probably 30-35,000 people maybe. I think most college stadiums would be pretty good. I saw Dave Matthews this past weekend at Vanderbilt and it was a good show, but I don't think it would've been as good if it were at LP field which is about 30k seats more. While I would like to see them maybe once more in a stadium, I'd prefer them to play in an arena/ampitheater.
  • Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    They might be able to play Wrigley, Fenway, Giants & Qwest. And that's a big might. Only because they are incredibly popular in those areas. And I said play as in get enough people to make a profit ... I doubt they'd be a sell out.

I'd much rather see PJ at Post-Gazette Pavilion rather than PNC Park (in my hometown of Pittsburgh).

The novelty of seeing them somewhere historic is the only perk of a stadium show (Fenway). If I wanted to see them in a large crowd, I would have gone to Bonnaroo or Lollapalooza ...
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08