ive been picking wrong all this time

PappasPappas Posts: 809
edited May 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
ok so i recently realized ive been playing for 4 years and my picking is wrong. i hold the pick with finger and thumb (common mistakes for newbies) instead of the proper way (i youtubed how to hold pick). so im trying to do it properly now but it feels a bit weird and im not as good because ive been playing 4 years the other way! anyway im determined to stay like this and make it feel natural as im sure there are advantages of holding it the 'proper' way.

also how do you guys rest your hand on the guitar in regards to picking? do you use your wrist or forearm and where abouts do you put it and do you move it as you pick different strings or is it always the same reference point? also i have a habit of using my third or fourth finger to rest on the guitar underneath the strings for stability, is this normal or not? whats the best way? no resting on the guitar at all?

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    I've never had anyone show me how to do it 'properly', but what I do has worked for me and I suck at changing my habits. I rest my little finger underneath the strings when i'm picking and I know that's probably wrong by any standards, but I've given up trying to change it. And hey, I heard Knopfler does it too... So much for 'wrong'. :)
  • I hold my pick between my thumb and bent index finger. I have played that way for 38 years and I can't change now. I don't know a "Correct" way of holding a pick other than what is most comfortable for you as a player. As for where to rest your picking hand, comfort and ease of playing should dictate that, too. When playing my Les Paul, I rest the heel of my hand on the bridge. On my Strat's, I modify that a bit because that can put it out of tune with the tremolo so I sort of hover above it. It's really all about comfort and your own ease of playing.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i simply cant hold a pic... its comes from 3 years of practicing at night with a new baby in the house and a wife wanting to watch TV in the same room as me... so now i cant hold a pic.. it feels totally weird to me

now i can practice without a worry about the noise.. should i persevere and re-try using a pic now???
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I can't believe so many people have filmed youtube videos on how to hold a guitar plec. What the hell?!
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • I threw my flatpicks away years ago and use my fingers.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    I threw my flatpicks away years ago and use my fingers.

do you... so have you just grown your fingernails?.. you know for picking out individual notes and stoof?

i much prefer the feel of playing with just my fingers... i wonder if i should just stick with it?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    I dont use picks either, much prefer finger picking.

Not that I am any good, not even picked the guitar up this year :oops:
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    dunkman wrote:
    I threw my flatpicks away years ago and use my fingers.

do you... so have you just grown your fingernails?.. you know for picking out individual notes and stoof?

i much prefer the feel of playing with just my fingers... i wonder if i should just stick with it?
    Stick with it Dunk. You could be the next Mark Knopfler.

I didn't know there was right and wrong way to hold a pick. I just hold it however feels right. I aint too good with just playing with my fingers, unless I'm playing bass,which is a totally different style anyway.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I play with fingers mostly too. I find fingerpicking feels much more natural to me than worrying about alternate picking. I really need to practise with a pick more, but fingers feel so nice :cry:
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Thought my technique would be all wrong as I've not had lessons.
    Turns out I hold it the correct way! :D
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014